| OT You certainly need to be athletic and at least a little in shape for this: A vacation recommendation in North Carolina that's almost "extreme sports.

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
They quit mining about 34 years ago, the water should be fine. Ducktown and Copper Hill takes me back. The bank there was Ducktown Banking Company. My boss bought some land there, that land that had been completely denuded of vegetation and topsoil from the smelting emissions, for $200 an acre. He said “ land that holds the earth together is worth $200 an acre. “

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
not me at all! :ROFLMAO:

Crimson&WhiteGecko

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
I've been in Central GA since 1988 & I have been down the Flint many, many times with Scouts. Went down Yellow Jacket Shoals (Class 3 rapids or Class 4 depending on rain) each time. All done in canoes. That section of river is a one of the best kept secrets in the state.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
That makes sense. It's not like it's dangerous, but definitely inconvenient. I spend too much time around the water to have that many copper toned clothes and shoes.

Location, location, location.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
actually was being "tongue in cheek" about brown..... you know takes ur green ( ur money)...anyway

@RollllTide! the area has changed a lot.... the scar mostly has healed from copper mining.... there is no or almost no mining...no staining...lol
we ( Forest Service) rebuilt the river ( thats right...rebuilt the river). For the 96 Olympics .... added a visitor center.. have a lot of international events....
If one likes class 4/5 rapids... its the hot spot in the east...

and while its all of that... its not my favorite attraction to the area... its more "amusement park" than so much else....that makes SE TN so awesome
A81827E1-8C6D-4FF7-A70A-61893156ADB1.png

Last edited:

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
I get that, but it's still not really fair, but it is. I'm certainly hitting that 45' rock climbing wall. That's not amusement. I'm also certainly dropping that '45 into the 20' pool. That's amusement. It will wear me out, I'm sure. That's a workout.

To follow that with drinks, food, live music...it's a sporting event if you're single.

My only experience is the conference center. The rest is still to come.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
lol....
The flow is controlled by a dam....
So the water was shut off...
The FS. And Olympic committee brought in teams of hydrologist....and designed the river to make it a competitive venue
Then we brought boulders out of the mountains...dug them out of the mountains .to keep it local looking...and built the banks up to maximize the race effect...curves...rapids...
When specific size boulderswere needed and not available....FAU boulders were made ( fake rocks) and used along the banks.....
Water turned on... practice events..adjustments made... and conducted the event for the 96 Olympics...

BAMAneck

Extra Point Club
Reaction score
Flint river is a blast , we would do the 2 day trip and at 8 feet was about perfect . We had a bachelor party on the flint and it was below 6’ and we spent 2 days dragging the canoes and slamming beers. That was the trip where we figured out not to go unless it was 7’ or above .

Top Bottom