| NEWS Wisconsin AD Barry Alvarez says there is a window to expand the College Football Playoff a year from now

S

SEC Sports

Wisconsin AD Barry Alvarez says there is a window to expand the College Football Playoff a year from now

With only four teams accepted in the financially lucrative College Football Playoff each season, not every title contending team can be included. To some, that exclusivity makes things exciting because the regular season doesn’t feel like its being watered down. This past season, the SEC, ACC and Big 12 had a team in the Playoff, along with Independent Notre Dame.

When such Power Five conferences like the Big Ten and the Pac-12 are excluded for the second straight season, they are losing a lot of money but being out. Obviously, representatives from those two conferences are some of the loudest voices in favor of expansion so they can guarantee that a team in their conference can get in.

Talk about expanding the CFP field has been out there for months with most proponents for expansion wanting to double the field to eight teams. While there has been talk, that’s all it has been so far. It takes many different entities in some powerful places to approve expansion before it actually happens. In an interview with The Athletic’s Jesse Temple, Wisconsin AD Barry Alvarez may have revealed a rather notable opening in expanding the College Football Playoff.

Alvarez wasn’t 100 percent in his statement but put it out there that there’s a potential window for expansion. Alvarez noted, “There’s a window I think a year from now where they can make changes. They left that available. It was initially I think an eight-year contract, but there’s an opening when they can make changes, so that’s available.”

There’s a reason why Alvarez is so vocal about expanding the CFP. As he noted in the interview, no Big Ten school has has been involved in the four-team playoff the past three seasons. That’s a lot of money lost for the conference and that could put them behind other conferences like the SEC who routinely have one or two teams involved. Alvarez made no mistake that he was once against expansion and wanted to remain at four but now favors an eight-team setup due to the Big Ten being on the outside but made sure to note that expansion would also favor the game and everyone involved .

Alvarez’s idea to facilitate the added games would be to make the college football season start a week earlier. Even he noted that it would take a multitude of people to sign off, including “presidents, the university presidents and the commissioners,” but if four extra games results in hundreds of millions of dollars more in TV and sponsorship revenue, some version of expansion is inevitable. It’s just a matter of how long it takes until it actually happens.

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
Worked fine...but would be better with expanded...all Dont agree. ...we will see

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
It's coming, as sure as taxes. You can't squeeze 5 power 5 teams in a 4 team playoff. Someone is always going to be left out from the big boy's conferences. 2 teams actually if and when Notre Dame makes it and 2 teams when Alabama and another SEC team is invited. It's just that conferences have to get their nose rubbed in it a few times to get really indignant.

Century Club
Reaction score
It's not coming a year from now.

planomateo

Ready to put Tejas in the rear view, hello Montana
Ivory Club
Reaction score
What I've learned, never say never...especially when lots of money is involved.

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Staff member
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
I'd be okay with a six team, with 1 and 2 getting byes. Beyond that, it just stinks to have to play three playoff games, most likely after a CC.

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Why don't the Big 10 and PAC 12 go to work and raise there level of play? Earn it...

sk33tr

el jefe
Bama Club
Reaction score
cut the regular season back to 10 games (8-9 conference games, 1 ooc game)...play 5 games, 1 week bye, play 5 games

1 week for conference championship games

2 weeks later, start the 7 games for the playoffs
...*2 games on one day (1 early, 1 later), 2 games on the next day (same format)
...*1 week later, 2 games on one day (same format)
...*1 week later, championship game

if this was done last year, the regular season would start on sept. 1st and end on nov. 10th
conference championship games would start on nov. 17th
first round of playoffs would start on dec. 1st (2 games on 1st, 2 games on 2nd)
second round of playoffs would start on dec. 8th (2 games on same day)
championship game would be on dec. 15th

the season begins and ends in the same year (minus the other little bowl games that won't matter in the grand scheme). or if that's sufficient, then move the championship game to 2 weeks after the final playoff game. that would put it on dec. 22.

the week after the conference championship games, start the regular bowl games. let those be played on any day of the week that doesn't have a playoff game. that gives 2 weeks after the conf. champ. games and a week in between the last playoff game and the champ. game to get them all out of the way.

oh yeah....and make it a requirement that you have to finish at least 6-4 (currently 7-5) to go to a bowl game. none of this 5-5 (currently 6-6) crap and rewarding teams for being mediocre or average. bowl games should be earned, not given to them just because they don't have enough teams to play. to me, 6-6 is NOT a winning record. if it's considered a winning record, then it should also be considered a losing record. also, conference HAVE to play a conference championship game.....we're looking at you notre dame. join a conference or shut the hell up.

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
Well we have 4 teams, but some want 6,8,10.12..... May as well do the whole top 25!

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
cut the regular season back to 10 games (8-9 conference games, 1 ooc game)...play 5 games, 1 week bye, play 5 games

1 week for conference championship games

2 weeks later, start the 7 games for the playoffs
...*2 games on one day (1 early, 1 later), 2 games on the next day (same format)
...*1 week later, 2 games on one day (same format)
...*1 week later, championship game

if this was done last year, the regular season would start on sept. 1st and end on nov. 10th
conference championship games would start on nov. 17th
first round of playoffs would start on dec. 1st (2 games on 1st, 2 games on 2nd)
second round of playoffs would start on dec. 8th (2 games on same day)
championship game would be on dec. 15th

the season begins and ends in the same year (minus the other little bowl games that won't matter in the grand scheme). or if that's sufficient, then move the championship game to 2 weeks after the final playoff game. that would put it on dec. 22.

the week after the conference championship games, start the regular bowl games. let those be played on any day of the week that doesn't have a playoff game. that gives 2 weeks after the conf. champ. games and a week in between the last playoff game and the champ. game to get them all out of the way.

oh yeah....and make it a requirement that you have to finish at least 6-4 (currently 7-5) to go to a bowl game. none of this 5-5 (currently 6-6) crap and rewarding teams for being mediocre or average. bowl games should be earned, not given to them just because they don't have enough teams to play. to me, 6-6 is NOT a winning record. if it's considered a winning record, then it should also be considered a losing record. also, conference HAVE to play a conference championship game.....we're looking at you notre dame. join a conference or shut the hell up.
Your ideas are great buddy...but fergit it ...period....
If it was for "football sake " it would be....but its $$$$$$$$ thats in charge....you know this. Bowl games.....ha....most aren’t worth watching.....but don’t matter...its The advertisers ....those towns that have a game.....and every team wanting to have that extra game.... 6-4...7-5....ha....soon it will be 4-6...4-7...teams being rewarded for a great season...

B

Bama News

Barry Alvarez ‘not happy’ about CFP ‘not following criteria,’ says Jim Delaney wants expansion

For the third straight season, the Big Ten was on the outside looking in at the College Football Playoff.

Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez said in a recent Q&A the committee isn’t following the criteria for selecting the top four teams.

"I was never satisfied with (the BCS) and thought four really helped college football,” Alvarez said during a town hall-style Q&A on Saturday ahead of Wisconsin’s spring game. “I thought that would be it. But when our league is left out of the Playoff three years in a row, I’m not happy about that. I don’t think we have followed the criteria set by the commissioners in naming those four teams.

“There’s a way you could go to eight teams very easily, starting a week early with a bye with the top 4 seeds. Any team would have a chance to win. I think it will expand, I just don’t know when.”

Alvarez said the current CFP contract isn’t an excuse to look at expansion.

“It’ll be decided by the presidents and commissioners,” Alvarez said. “There’s a window I think a year from now where they can make changes. They’ve left that open. Initially, it was an eight-year contract, but there’s an opening. I think our commissioner, Jim Delaney, is in favor of expansion.”

Last season, Oklahoma, Ohio State and Georgia were fighting for the fourth and final CFP spot. Oklahoma ultimately won out over Georgia, which lost to Alabama in the SEC Championship Game, and Ohio State, which won the Big Ten title with one loss.

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
“There’s a way you could go to eight teams very easily, starting a week early with a bye with the top 4 seeds. Any team would have a chance to win. I think it will expand, I just don’t know when.”
But there isn't a way you can do this.

#1 playing the winner of #5 vs #8.
#2 playing winner of #6 vs #7.
#3 to play #4.

@It Takes Eleven you mentioned giving a bye to the top two seeds earlier. I don't see how a lot will agree with that notion giving the backlash heard when the SEC allowed their teams a week off before the SECCG. No one like that, they moved the date and added the OOC game in the next to the last week (and of course people don't like that either.)

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Alvarez stated that the committee is not meeting the criteria. So what is the criteria, exactly? I do not like byes because the difference in the record of the top 4 teams is often just a loss, perhaps in a tougher conference or just perception. #4 seeded teams have already won too many of these playoffs to give any credence to where everyone sits, even with 6 teams.

Come what may, anyone trying to add 8 teams to the 12 game schedule and CCG is committing football mayhem.

252BAMA

Verified Member
Bama Club
Reaction score
But there isn't a way you can do this.

#1 playing the winner of #5 vs #8.
#2 playing winner of #6 vs #7.
#3 to play #4.

@It Takes Eleven you mentioned giving a bye to the top two seeds earlier. I don't see how a lot will agree with that notion giving the backlash heard when the SEC allowed their teams a week off before the SECCG. No one like that, they moved the date and added the OOC game in the next to the last week (and of course people don't like that either.)
But that was a regional issue, not a national issue. I believe they would agree to anything to get their schools in the mix. It's all temporary anyway. Have gone from two to four. Will go from four to six, from six to eight, from eight to 12, etc.

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
@252BAMA
Believe u are close. But I don't think it will get past 8 for many years if ever
Don't think it will go to 6 either
I see 8 right down the road. Which I like
5 conference winners and 3 wild cards
@TUSKtimes wouldn't it be adding 3 games to conference schedule. Which is a fricking loay ( 4 if ccg is included).
As a fan. Lots of good football. As a HC and player 30% more may be to much

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
@252BAMA
Believe u are close. But I don't think it will get past 8 for many years if ever
Don't think it will go to 6 either
I see 8 right down the road. Which I like
5 conference winners and 3 wild cards
@TUSKtimes wouldn't it be adding 3 games to conference schedule. Which is a fricking loay ( 4 if ccg is included).
As a fan. Lots of good football. As a HC and player 30% more may be to much

For me, 16 games seems like a lot. But starting a week earlier to start the season is a possibility and not having a huge gap between the CCG and the first game of the playoff would be important.

I personally would like 15 games total in an 8 team playoff. Something would have to go. Most folks know I'm not thrilled with the CCG anyway. But if we keep it, let's get rid of our directional school, make everyone play at least 2 power 5 OOC games and we all still get 2 byes in an 11 game schedule.

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
For me, 16 games seems like a lot. But starting a week earlier to start the season is a possibility and not having a huge gap between the CCG and the first game of the playoff would be important.

I personally would like 15 games total in an 8 team playoff. Something would have to go. Most folks know I'm not thrilled with the CCG anyway. But if we keep it, let's get rid of our directional school, make everyone play at least 2 power 5 OOC games and we all still get 2 byes in an 11 game schedule.
Voting you CF commissioner.....your thoughts are good. But that 12th game for teams rarely if ever making CCG is going to be tough to lose....
But with 127 bowl games....maybe every body can have a post season game? If they arent in playoffs ....regardless of record

Top Bottom