| RECRUIT Who ready for Archie Manning's grandson?

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Openly questioning a man's word with what reason to do so?
A former head coach comes to Alabama. What makes you think he won't consider any future head coaching slot that's brought to him? How many former head coaches have come to Alabama in a "less than head coach" role? A short list includes Sarkisian, Butch Jones, Charlie Strong, Mike Stoops, Applewhite, Kyle Flood, Lane Kiffin, Mike Locksley. It's the nature of the business. If there are opportunities, people will leave.

TerryP

Ivory Club
A former head coach comes to Alabama. What makes you think he won't consider any future head coaching slot that's brought to him? How many former head coaches have come to Alabama in a "less than head coach" role? A short list includes Sarkisian, Butch Jones, Charlie Strong, Mike Stoops, Applewhite, Kyle Flood, Lane Kiffin, Mike Locksley. It's the nature of the business. If there are opportunities, people will leave.
How many of those fulfilled their role when they committed to Saban? Strong, Stoops, Applewhite? These comparisons to this conversation? A GA to an OC who has committed to two years?

Come on, man.

Locks didn't fulfill his word? 🤷‍♂️

OldPlayer

Bama Club
How many of those fulfilled their role when they committed to Saban? Strong, Stoops, Applewhite? These comparisons to this conversation? A GA to an OC who has committed to two years?

Come on, man.

Locks didn't fulfill his word? 🤷‍♂️
How many left before their contract was up? It’s the nature of the beast. I’m not knocking them, or O’Brien, but I’m not assuming that these former head coaches will be around for the long haul.

TerryP

Ivory Club
How many left before their contract was up? It’s the nature of the beast. I’m not knocking them, or O’Brien, but I’m not assuming that these former head coaches will be around for the long haul.
Are you thinking back to Enos and company and using them as a caution statement? That staff, especially at the end of the season, was so dysfunctional it cost the Tide a title that season. This group, specifically O'Brien, aren't cut from the same cloth. Two completely different people in all aspects of life.

I could go on here but I'll leave you with this thought: your pessimism is misplaced here.

XXL TideFan

Seer
Bama Club
If I were a QB phenom’s parental units I would not worry because CNS has proven over and over that he can replace assistants easier than anyone else.

I never really kept a record but I remember getting a bunch of really good info from @TerryP since I’ve arrived. Enough that I wouldn’t bet against him.

JoseyWalesTheOutlaw

Crimson Tide Club

The Arch Manning show is coming to Tuscaloosa as the most celebrated quarterback recruit makes the summer rounds.

The nephew of Peyton and Eli Manning is set to visit Alabama, according to multiple published reports as his long-anticipated recruitment heats up. Already a five-star ranked among the top rising juniors in the nation, Archie Manning’s grandson’s hype train isn’t slowing down.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club

The Arch Manning show is coming to Tuscaloosa as the most celebrated quarterback recruit makes the summer rounds.

The nephew of Peyton and Eli Manning is set to visit Alabama, according to multiple published reports as his long-anticipated recruitment heats up. Already a five-star ranked among the top rising juniors in the nation, Archie Manning’s grandson’s hype train isn’t slowing down.
Not going to slow down......
Awful lot on a jr in high school...

JoseyWalesTheOutlaw

Crimson Tide Club
I am hoping that our current QB commit from Tenner sticks with the King. Hopefully our current starting QB can get it done. I believe he will have a pretty solid team around on both sides of the ball. Hell , it appears we might even have a punter than can kick it further than I did back in the 60's.

Justneedme81

Sideline Club
Not sure if I buy the argument that O'Brien will leave before 2 years is up:

Major Applewhite Offensive coordinator 2007 <- Didn't know what he was doing.
Jim McElwain Offensive coordinator 2008–2011 <- Did great job, went on to coach several teams
Doug Nussmeier Offensive coordinator 2012–2013 <- I think Saban told him to look elsewhere
Lane Kiffin Offensive coordinator 2014–2016 <- Did great job and went on to become HC of FAU and Ole Miss.
Brian Daboll Offensive Coordinator 2017-2018 <- Never did liked working in college.
Mike Locksley Offensive Coordinator 2018 <- Did great job, but often went little crazy at time with offense. Now a HC.
Steve Sarkisian Offensive coordinator/QB 2017, 2019–2020 <- Best of the best OC we've had. now Texas HC.

So I don't think there is a narrative here that suggest that O'Brien will stay for one year and leave. I can't see that happening. O'Brien has experiences in College and Pro Ranks. I think He is content staying on College level going forward.

Justneedme81

Sideline Club
Also, here's something to thinka bout why it might attract Manning:

O'Brien himself talking through the pre-snap reads and protection adjustments for an empty set. Interesting all the signs the QB has to notice and alterations to the protections.

This is just the O-line calls for 1 formation so there's obviously a lot in the system for the QB to learn.

Manning is smart enough to do that. Young as well.

Top Bottom