| OT "what’s your most controversial southern food take?"

Century Club
Reaction score
Mayonnaise is NASTY.
For that to be a controversial southern food take you'd have to qualify it by saying "Duke's Manyonnaise is nasty," wouldn't you?
Mayonnaise on a banana sammich. Mayonnaise on a hamburger. Mayonnaise on anything ....... but that's just me.
I've seen people substitute it for ketchup with french fries now that's just gross.

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
I saw them mention how much both dislike boiled peanuts as well. I believe their tweet was boiled peanuts are nothing but wet peas. I don't like them--it's the consistency.

I do have an uncle that buys them when he's in SC, but then dries them out on his cars dashboard. Loves the flavor, doesn't like the wet.

bamachine

Master Debater
Century Club
Reaction score
Gravy for biscuits should be a light brown in color. Take real butter(none of that fake garbage), brown it almost to scorched level, add a little flour until you have a dark brown paste, add milk and let it bubble, then you got your gravy.

BBQ does not need sauce, if done correctly. Only time to use BBQ sauce is on a pulled pork sammich or to dip bread into. Then, only thin vinegar based sauce.

As said before, sweet cornbread is an abomination.

Banana pudding better damned well have actual bananas in them and more than just one whole vanilla wafer.

99 percent of slaw is garbage. About the only slaw I have ever loved was from Top Of The River. I swear they put crack cocaine in theirs.

Fuck frozen breaded okra. The only way to make okra is to cook in in a cast iron skillet, after using a mix if cornmeal, flour, salt and pepper. Fry it in skillet with bacon grease.

planomateo

Ready to put Tejas in the rear view, hello Montana
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Mayonnaise on a banana sammich.
Good stuff! Peanut butter on one slice, mayo on the other, with sliced bananas in the middle.

ElephantStomp

Verified Member
Bama Club
Reaction score
Mustard in BBQ sauce sucks....
I’m not much a bbq sauce person, but don’t mind mustard, but everybody knows vinegar based sauces are the best. But, I’m a Memphis type guy just some rub

ElephantStomp

Verified Member
Bama Club
Reaction score
I saw them mention how much both dislike boiled peanuts as well. I believe their tweet was boiled peanuts are nothing but wet peas. I don't like them--it's the consistency.

I do have an uncle that buys them when he's in SC, but then dries them out on his cars dashboard. Loves the flavor, doesn't like the wet.
I love boiled peanuts!! Grocery stores up here have canned ones that are the absolute worse and whoever created them should be kicked

ElephantStomp

Verified Member
Bama Club
Reaction score
I have a lot...

Turnips are nasty.
Corn sucks.
BBQ sauce is not good (minus white sauce, for some reason).
I’m with you on bbq sauce, I don’t mind some mustard based sauces and vinegar sauces, but I’m more of a dry rub guy. I can’t stand white sauces

BAMAneck

Extra Point Club
Reaction score
I do eat mayo , but only blue plate .. on the rare occasion we have beef stroganoff I will take a piece of loaf bread and put mayo on it and fold in have ... it’s the best , but only with that dish ...

Top Bottom