| BSB/SB What kind of crazy pitch is this?

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
It crazy you right about that!

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
As an old baseball coach, I would say that it was legal because he maintains contact with the pitching rubber through the entire motion. I don't think he could keep it up through an entire at bat without falling down on his ass. Screwy as hell and he would likely get knocked off the mound the first time.

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
As an old baseball coach, I would say that it was legal because he maintains contact with the pitching rubber through the entire motion. I don't think he could keep it up through an entire at bat without falling down on his ass. Screwy as hell and he would likely get knocked off the mound the first time.
I was hoping a baseball coach or umpire would comment....
For one who played a lot of baseball growing up ( and pitched).....i didnt have a clue....lol

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
He reminds me a lot of this Asian dude this week at Pebble Beach.

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I was hoping a baseball coach or umpire would comment....
For one who played a lot of baseball growing up ( and pitched).....i didnt have a clue....lol
To be honest though, I would likely go out and argue the first time I saw it and make the umpire show it to me in the rule book.

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Let me add to this. It is much like the separation of the throwing hand from the glove in the stretch, like patting it. If he only does it once, then it is a balk, but if it is in his motion every single throw, it is allowed. This would make me question the legality of this motion as well. Just a little more food for thought.

BAMAneck

Extra Point Club
Reaction score
Illegal , foot leaves the rubber . He would have multiple balks in an inning .

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
This would make me question the legality of this motion as well.
Natural movement? he doesn't stop the motion at any point so there's no interruption of alteration

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Natural movement? he doesn't stop the motion at any point so there's no interruption of alteration
What I meant is, if he were to walk out onto the mound and starting warming up in the traditional sense but then first batter comes out and throws a pitch from this wind up/delivery. Opposing coach would immediately jump on it should the ump not call it. Now if in his warm up tosses, all 10 are from this wind up, game on. It would then be considered his normal wind up much like a closer that always throws from the stretch.

Illegal , foot leaves the rubber . He would have multiple balks in an inning
His toe never leaves contact with the rubber though, much like any other pitcher that turns and uses the rubber as a push off point.

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
Illegal , foot leaves the rubber . He would have multiple balks in an inning .
It kinda does....not enough that it would be called..... i think...
always taught and never did have foot left rubber... but have seen
some pitchers that lift up some...but not called.... i am going with coach @UAgrad93 on this...

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score

A starters video but you get the idea of the footwork. As long as the pivot foot remains in some type of contact, he is good.

Rsedge72

Registered
Reaction score
He’s not in the stretch, so it is legal...
He wouldn’t be doing this with runners on, so as stupid as it looks there’s no balk

BAMAneck

Extra Point Club
Reaction score
When his plant foot goes from 180 degrees back to the 360 degree start point it definitely looses
Contact . Might not be called but technically , it’s a balk .

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
When his plant foot goes from 180 degrees back to the 360 degree start point it definitely looses
Wouldn't be called a balk, but rather no pitch called. Only a balk with runners on. If he did this with runners on then he and his coach are both dumbasses.

bamafan9201

Verified Member
Sideline Club
Reaction score
As a former umpire: it’s not a balk because he never loses contact with the rubber and always continues towards the plate with no stops, so it’s perfextly legal but quirky. It seems rather slow so I doubt it would be good with bases loaded a fast runner could steal home

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Somewhere there's a site that'll breakdown video from that kind of source frame by frame. It may be free. I'll look for it if I have the chance.

I'm telling ya ...watched it two dozen times and that's not leaving the rubber from my view on the screens I'm looking. And I need glasses.

At 60' plus another half a dozen inches...with 20/20... He's on.

EasyTider

Attention Whore
Bama Club
Reaction score
Who cares? Is that Globtrotter schitt ever gonna see the field?

12gage

Century Club
Reaction score
Who cares? Is that Globtrotter schitt ever gonna see the field?
You do. You care enough to jump in and tell everyone else your opinion.

While you might have had a shitty day, no need to try to spread it around.

Top Bottom