| NEWS What is the second most skilled position in football?

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
{Split from the Christian Story thread about his role as safety versus quarterback.)

Second most important skilled position in football.....

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Strong Safety is a very skilled position. Gotta be able to cover, then you have to be able to provide run support. It takes a lot of skill to know when to drop into coverage or know when to show up on the line to support the run. I imagine a lot of keys to read, running backs, slots, tight ends, and even tackles and guards. The physical aspect is huge as well. Can't have a 5'9 - 180 pound guy at the college level covering 4.4 receivers, 6'5 tight ends, and also ready to take on a 230 pound running back or 330 pound pulling guard or tackle, but also know a 6'3 - 230 pound guy can't keep up with the speed in coverage most times. Isaiah Simmons was one of the best I have seen to do this. I don't even know what position they tagged him with, but he was a perfect strong safety. Shows, because he was a Top 10 pick in the draft and will be a major asset for a team with his ability to do what so many others can't.

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
There’s skilled and there’s specialized. Watching a great running back step through tackles and fend off tackles with their hands, while anticipating other oncoming tacklers, is something to behold. Wide receivers contorting themselves to stretch for a ball and get a toe inbounds is impressive. The hand fighting between OL/DL these days is impressive, not to mention the cat and mouse of sweeps, swims and bullrushes, all considering pressure, balance and leverage.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
How much of this happens without the center making the correct blocking calls, snapping and then executing?

Every play on offense versus? .I always come back to it being one of the two players to have their hands on the ball every offensive play.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
One might argue it's the most important role in the Saban defense in the way the game has transitioned over the last few years.

Last year, McKinney led the defense in tackles. The year prior it was Dylan Moses.

I remember back in 2017 Harrison and Evans tied for the most tackles that season. I still don't recall if I've ever seen a season that ended that way. When we go back to earlier years it's mostly linebackers.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
Center does get line in position.....LB and or safety gets D calls and aligns D....

I remember Barrett Jones being really good at getting line in position...
But....
Was anyone better at getting D backfield ( the last line of Defense)...than....
Minkah Fitzpatrick...
.gonna stay with...Safety...as second most

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Would you not say Left Tackle? I know it is highly valued by the NFL folks. That have to be pretty dang athletic to block the athletic edge rushers.

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
Alright you twisted my arm...

Especially because in 2020, they're basically not allowed to touch the WR after 5 yards. EVERYTHING is Pass Interference. Not to mention QB's aren't near as afraid of getting hit, so they stand in there with full confidence picking guys apart.

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
I will say all of the position are the most skilled. Because everyone of these have to do they job to get the play off right.

Top Bottom