| FTBL Weird story regarding Cade Mays, UGA, and his father.

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
If this was your family member, I’m sorry. Trying to go off of memory from 25+ years ago, good luck with that! I was merely pointing out what a lot of people considered a frivolous lawsuit and applied it to this thread. I’m a teacher and at the time I was typing my original response, I had a class of 35-40 5-6 year olds screaming as they came in my gym. I didn’t have time to research and refresh my memory. If I had, I wouldn’t have mentioned that lawsuit and would’ve just stayed with the lawsuit that I served as jury foreman for against Hardee’s. My apologies if I offended you.

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I wasn't doubling down on it. I suck at gambling!! Adding the link to the suit was more of a "hey, you were right. I totally forgot the specifics of that case." I don't always articulate things as well on here as I would in person.
Like I said earlier, if I had had the time to refresh my memory, I wouldn't even had bothered mentioning that case. You ever deal with a gym full of screaming elementary aged kids? Come by one day for a visit and I'll introduce you to the closest thing to hell!! :ROFLMAO:
In the end, no skin off my back and we are all good.
If you like, I will go in to detail about the civil case in Bham that I worked as jury foreman. A woman on disability was suing Hardee's for slipping and falling in the floor. She had been a lunchroom worker and had hurt her back throwing trash into the dumpster and had been put on disability a couple of years earlier. She was under doctors orders not to lift anything heavier than 20 pounds. She met her daughter, also on disability, and her 3 year old grandson at the Hardee's in Pinson/Center Point for breakfast on a rainy morning. Her daughter went to put away the trash and she "reached over the table and grabbed her 35-40lb grandson and lifted him over the table and turned to get out of the booth when she slipped on the wet floor. She claimed there was a blue colored film on the floor from where one of the workers mopped and hadn't done a good job. Manager testified that the cleaning solution goes in green and when mixed with the water turns clear and dries clear. Also, they only mop the floor at closing and only use a dry mop to mop up the floor during the working day for wet floors due to rain. in the end, we tossed the case, since she was running a scam, along with her entire family. Seems that her husband was another one that had experience in the disability area and in frivolous lawsuit area as well.

rueben

Extra Point Club
Reaction score
more than scalded. She had full third degree burns to her legs and genitals. Yes, coffee is supposed to be hot, but that was ridiculous. Until you get into to burn unit stuff, third degree is the deepest burn you can get. Full thickness. (As a firefighter, I have wound up in the E/R twice in 26 years from burn injuries. Only once was it third degree. Its horrible, and the burn debridement process was more painful than the burns. The victim and her daughter did not want to sue. They only wanted McDonald's to cover her medical cost. They refused.

rammerjammer

Gump 4ever
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
May be screwing up by jumping in this conversation, much like @UAgrad93, I am going off memory.

IIRC, what nailed McDonald's was the fact that the health department had made note of the fact that the coffee was too hot on their health rating sheet from their monthly inspection. They did nothing about it, and that is the nail in the coffin.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
With all due respect here, hot is hot and if I order something hot I understand it could burn my mouth badly, so I use precaution. Bagel Bites and a Tombstone pizza will kill the roof of your mouth. Anyways, how hot can a McDonalds pot make water? Isn't there a max temperature on something like that, and one where a place like McDonalds would limit at a certain point? I mean, it's not a laboratory or chemistry class where they can get liquids hotter than a traditional kitchen or Keurig I would think. Could I be wrong? Sure, third degree burns are something I don't wish on someone, but what is expected if it spills? You have to understand the consequences of any situation when you order something hot, and then take necessary precautions no matter how common of a transaction it is. Just like the old days now in football, keep your head on a swivel or you'll get popped when they see you taking playing off.

rammerjammer

Gump 4ever
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
@BamaFan334 . I think the thermostat was defective, and allowed the coffee to get too hot. Hence the health dept, dinging them several times for not having fixed it. 180-190 degrees is way too hot for coffee.

rocknthefreeworld

Verified Member
Bama Club
Century Club
Reaction score
Here's the thing about that lawsuit. They were technically at fault for it being too hot, but this lawsuit hinged also on the fact that she decided to put a cup of coffee between her knees and pulled the lid towards herself to open it, spilling it all over herself. The defective nature of the coffee was not in any of the equipment, McDonald's just served it that hot knowingly under the guise that it would cool before people drank it.

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
The reason I linked the article was that after I read it and "refreshed my memory" I saw that the burns were that severe. Again, going off of memory to something that happened 25+ years ago to someone I don't know and across the country as well. I thought I would link it to help others as well.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
I think this part of the story isn't being remembered correctly as well. The Health Department doesn't have rules or regulations on hot liquids and their holding temperatures. If there are no regulations in place how could they be "dinged?"

I recall mention of a lot of complaints about the coffee being served too hot but no action on the part of that stores management.

rocknthefreeworld

Verified Member
Bama Club
Century Club
Reaction score
McDonald's had around 700 complaints around the country that their coffee had caused burns and/or was too hot. They deemed that insignificant compared to the number of cups of coffee they had sold during the same timeframe. Not that particular store, the entire country.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
While the guys I know are Bama fans they still are part of Georgia coaching circles... There's a growing attitude shift toward Kirby right now.

I know I've pointed to it with in State recruiting signees... I'm now hearing about it from their coaches.

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
@TerryP might be an attitude shift happening but so far it is not impacting his recruiting. Seems like a huge pick up with the grad transfer and a much needed quick fix for his QB position with Fromm leaving.
Long term it may catch up with him but so far it has not.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
I'm aware of how well he continues to recruit. The point of mentioning in state signees and Georgia coaching circles goes to a greater point.

You may recall our discussions a few years ago about Florida recruiting. When Mac took his class outside of state lines—it's probably more accurately said took his attention away from in state high school coaches—in the 2016 season he left a support system by the wayside. He could have used that in 2017 when shit hit the fan in spite of him going back to Florida as his base. Mullen's first year was some scrambling...kept a lot of the targets outside of Florida but he's back on the state kids for his first true class. His support base right now is as strong as any coach since Urban.

@It Takes Eleven made a comment about "Kirby burning bridges" in another thread. He's being seen for who he's become. Locally, just as we've been talking about, which will make its way nationally.

-.-.-.-

:unsure: I remember some scoffing about the picture of the recruiting board. I remember some doubting how he orchestrated the transfer with Mo.

Jimbo calls him out last year during a press conference.
"Sneak in for a visit, Bryce, and don't tell Alabama."

Is it safe to say people see who Kirby actually is, today, as the coach at UGA?

Top Bottom