FTBL VanDarius Cowan dismissed from the team

BamaBoyJosh

Verified Member
Alabama just released this statement.

“VanDarius has been dismissed from the team and is no longer a part of our football program due to a violation of team rules. Each of us has a responsibility to represent The University of Alabama in a first-class way, and failure to meet those standards can’t be tolerated. We wish VanDarius the very best in the future.”

Welp... From the doghouse to the outhouse.

I was a little surprised Saban stuck with him after being booted from his HS team also. I'm sure that coach caught a lot of shit along the way... Probably feels a little vindicated at this point. But that's neither here nor there, MLB has a slight depth issue!!

Elderfalsedemigod

Not an alter...maybe an altar
I wondered what would shake out after his arrest. He was already having to "work" his way back from other issues. I would speculate But I try not to do that. Hate to see this for him and for the team. ILB looking thin

bama alum

Verified Member
HARRY'S
Welp... From the doghouse to the outhouse.

I was a little surprised Saban stuck with him after being booted from his HS team also. I'm sure that coach caught a lot of shit along the way... Probably feels a little vindicated at this point. But that's neither here nor there, MLB has a slight depth issue!!
That's the problem with so many athletes (and this won't be the last situation like this at Bama either) where the adults in charge are no more than just friends and cheerleaders and when the time comes for these kids to show maturity and leadership, they fail.

“The biggest mistake coaches make is taking borderline cases and trying to save them. I’m not talking about grades now, I’m talking about character. I want to know before a boy enrolls about his home life, and what his parents want him to be.”...Coach Bryant

TerryP

ADMINISTRATION
“The biggest mistake coaches make is taking borderline cases and trying to save them. I’m not talking about grades now, I’m talking about character. I want to know before a boy enrolls about his home life, and what his parents want him to be.”...Coach Bryant
I'm certainly not making excuses for him but Pruitt moving on to Tennessee might have "enabled" him to act out a bit more than normal. I'm trying to find the word that fits...not a sounding board, but Pruitt was "the guy" trying to help him get his personal life back on track.

Well... There's certainly not a playbook on these situations. Anyone who thinks everyone is treated "the same" doesn't understand the dynamics of a team.

I will say this though - For a HS coach to kick an Alabama commit off his team, knowing the blowback and questions he's going to receive regarding this phenomenal talent... The kid has to be a real f-up. Coach wants to win more than anyone and almost assuredly wants to stay out of the headlines for that type of reason. Which is why I'm surprised Saban stuck with him.

Live and learn. We all do.

planomateo

Ready to put Tejas in the rear view, hello Montana
ADMINISTRATION
HARRY'S
Where does this fit in the SEC's serious misconduct classification? Could impact his ability to transfer to another SEC school.

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
It's hard to be shocked with Cowen's name on it. So much goes into a winning formula but it's safe to say that physical gifts aren't the end all.

Ole Nick will roll the dice on a playa or two every now and then. Sometimes it doesn't workout. Hell at least 20% of each recruiting class you sign will never play a meaningful snap so we can just put this guy in that sack.

Elderfalsedemigod

Not an alter...maybe an altar
Sometimes it works out like Tony Brown and sometimes it works out like Robbie Green.

In some ways it is like hiring employees, you can do references etc but at some point you go with your gut

Top Bottom