| FTBL UPDATE: Texas Longhorns, Oklahoma Sooners unanimously accept invitation to SEC

BamaFan615

Century Club
Be 5 years....probably right....strike while iron is hot...
....But...

lot of teams have lot of contracts with other non-big 12 teams for games...

......and ......
Things have to be rescheduled and games bought out....

all doable.....but....

has to be worked out
I can’t remember for sure, but it doesn’t seem like the A&M and Missouri moves took that long…

NickelDoubleDog

Sideline Club

JoshB

Scholarship Club
I haven’t read through the thread to see if this has been mentioned, but do we know when this is likely to take effect? I see 2025 being when the media rights expire, but I’d be surprised if they stuck around that long…

I may be wrong here, and Terry P or someone else can correct me if so, but I believe they have an out where they can buy their way out of the conference in 2023.

rammerjammer

Gump 4ever
Scholarship Club
Is that the $80M number I saw?
Yes

From the article Old Player posted.

Texas and Oklahoma would owe an estimated $80 million each to move to the SEC for the 2022 season. But using the previous reductions as a scale (58%), the two universities could owe around $46.4 million.

By previous reduction, he is talking about when aTm and Mizzou moved to the SEC in 2012. They were supposed to pay 30 million each, however after the lawyers hashed it out, each institution payed 12.4 million

BamaFan615

Century Club
Kinda funny…we start a Home/Away series with Texas next season (2022). Guess that might just become a conference game.

One unintended consequence of this expansion might be the lack of Inter-conference games. Something I have really enjoyed during the Saban era.

rammerjammer

Gump 4ever
Scholarship Club
Reading through all this. I like the pod concept. I wish they would just go ahead and do a 10 game conference schedule and give the discretion to the schools for the other 2. Wouldn't matter if you play a crap school both of those games. Even Vandy, UK, Mizzou would be conference games and a better draw than NM St or Miami of OH and schools of that nature.

TerryP

Ivory Club
"One True Champion." So, as this was launched we found out it wasn't one champion. And now, in the end, we also see they had the wrong conference for the one, true champion.

"Every game matters." I guess, not?

Perhaps there was a little truth here?

DiOxabrVQAAD32P

TerryP

Ivory Club
Yes

From the article Old Player posted.

Texas and Oklahoma would owe an estimated $80 million each to move to the SEC for the 2022 season. But using the previous reductions as a scale (58%), the two universities could owe around $46.4 million.

By previous reduction, he is talking about when aTm and Mizzou moved to the SEC in 2012. They were supposed to pay 30 million each, however after the lawyers hashed it out, each institution payed 12.4 million
The one thing I've only seen mentioned from a few is what happens with the LHN. With Texas in mind here—I don't think OU will seen any benefit—we have to remember Disney will owe UT a lot of money when the LHN is disolved and folded under the SECN umbrella. That "payout" alone would cover UT's "exit fees."

rammerjammer

Gump 4ever
Scholarship Club
ESPN paid Texas $250 million for the Longhorn Network, the exclusive home of all Texas sports. That deal runs through 2031, but the Longhorn Network would likely be folded into the SEC Network and the payout of the final 10 years of the contract folded into the SEC coffers.

ESPN lost nearly $50 million on the network over the first 5 years, and folding it into the SEC Network would be a lifeboat of sorts.

The one thing I've only seen mentioned from a few is what happens with the LHN. With Texas in mind here—I don't think OU will seen any benefit—we have to remember Disney will owe UT a lot of money when the LHN is disolved and folded under the SECN umbrella. That "payout" alone would cover UT's "exit fees."

TerryP

Ivory Club
ESPN paid Texas $250 million for the Longhorn Network, the exclusive home of all Texas sports. That deal runs through 2031, but the Longhorn Network would likely be folded into the SEC Network and the payout of the final 10 years of the contract folded into the SEC coffers.
If the agreement was with TX why do you think those monies would fall into the SEC funds if that money is owed to TX?

IF I recall correctly the original deal was for 300 million, of which Disney owes TX around 190 million.

rammerjammer

Gump 4ever
Scholarship Club
If the agreement was with TX why do you think those monies would fall into the SEC funds if that money is owed to TX?

IF I recall correctly the original deal was for 300 million, of which Disney owes TX around 190 million.
I agree with you . Folks don't like giving up money that is owed to them, but when the lawyers get involved, who knows what will happen.

Either way ESPN owns LHN and SECn. I'm sure this will make the marriage easier and the buyout less punitive.

Top Bottom