| FTBL UPDATE: Texas Longhorns, Oklahoma Sooners unanimously accept invitation to SEC

rocknthefreeworld

Century Club
I expect conversations may have happened but this won't happen any time soon. A&M will fight it because they don't want Texas in the SEC. Oklahoma State will raise hell with the state legislature about it wanting Oklahoma to be tied to the same conference they are in.

Were Missouri thinking of leaving the SEC it would be more likely.

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Ivory Club
I'd bet it has to do with several factors, but conference money and conference leadership has to be at the top. Eventually, the Power 5 (or a form of it) is going to break off and do their own thing IMO. Maybe this is the start of some dominoes falling in that direction (regardless if the SEC opens the door for them or not).

OldPlayer

Bama Club
I expect conversations may have happened but this won't happen any time soon. A&M will fight it because they don't want Texas in the SEC. Oklahoma State will raise hell with the state legislature about it wanting Oklahoma to be tied to the same conference they are in.

Were Missouri thinking of leaving the SEC it would be more likely.
1. Oklahoma and Oklahoma State could still play on rivalry weekend just like Georgia and Georgia Tech and Clemson and South Carolina
2. Texas A&M has wanted to renew their rivalry with Texas. This would force it.
3. Texas would have to shut down the Longhorn Network
4. It's all about the money. Each Big12 school received $34.5 million for the 2020-21 fiscal year, which is down more than $3 million from $37.7 million the previous year. Each SEC school received $45.5 million (not including an additional $23 million for COVID relief) for the same period. With the upcoming TV contract bidding to start for the SEC, it's a perfect time.
5. This would likely eliminate the current scheduling process of playing all the intra-division schools, a cross-division opponent and a traditional rival. Since both schools are way West of any current SEC team, it would probably lead to a re-seating of the divisions at a minimum.
6. If a 12-team playoff becomes a reality, who's to say that the SEC couldn't put 3-4 into the playoff?

TerryP

Ivory Club
I'd bet it has to do with several factors, but conference money and conference leadership has to be at the top. Eventually, the Power 5 (or a form of it) is going to break off and do their own thing IMO. Maybe this is the start of some dominoes falling in that direction (regardless if the SEC opens the door for them or not).
I hope so.

Sankey playing cards?

JoseyWalesTheOutlaw

Crimson Tide Club
Hard to believe that something hasn't been in the works on this deal. I assume they still would follow the procedure of programs having to vote for either into the conference but Perhaps Sankey has already got that taken care of in advance. I wouldn't think A&M would be real happy about Texas in the SEC.

saw this on the rant...

quote:

A source w/ direct connection to discussions tells me Texas and OU to the SEC has, "a lot of momentum."
Texas administrators approached the SEC and it was discussed at length at the last SEC meetings.
"They (Texas/OU) know the Big 12 never is going to last."

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
On a member vote, who votes yes or no? Will aTm jealously guard their unique status in TX? Is LSU petrified of having to add two potential heavyweights to their regular schedule? Would this expansion be contingent upon the playoff going to twelve teams? Are any teams at risk of defecting from the conference, like Mizzou to the Big 10 when other conferences move? Would WV go to the ACC? Does B10 pick up Mizzou and Iowa State, or just grab both KS schools? Does AAC pick up the Big 12 remnant and become the fifth Power 5 conference? BYU to PAC 12? ND is contract-bound to ACC, correct?

Davestwin

Sideline Club
Thoughts?

The conference is too big as it is so either have two teams leave i.e. Missouri and Vanderbilt or keep the current teams. I mean Bama rarely plays teams from the East (other than UT) as it is and adding two more would only exacerbate that issue. Plus, when Oklahoma and Texas leave the B12, that conference effectively dies on the vine which wouldn’t be good for college football. Bama already has a huge recruiting foot in Texas and Oklahoma doesn’t put out a ton of D-1 players but bringing OU and UT in the conference opens the fertile SEC recruiting footprint to them. College football has too many changes happening already that in my opinion are hurting the game. We don’t need another one … especially this one for damn sure.

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
It'll end up being 16-team superconferences, might as well nail it down first. Nine-game conference schedule, play seven in-division and rotate two others, no perm cross-divisional opponent. Not sure they'd try to correct the Mizzou geographic oddity or just move Bama and aubrun. We keep the TN game.

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Ivory Club
The conference is too big as it is so either have two teams leave i.e. Missouri and Vanderbilt or keep the current teams. I mean Bama rarely plays teams from the East (other than UT) as it is and adding two more would only exacerbate that issue.

Just pure speculation on my part (obviously), but if this expansion were to happen, I could see Bama shifting to the East Division with at least 1 extra conference game added to the league schedules. Could look like...

West
Oklahoma
Texas
Texas A&M
LSU
Arkansas
Missouri
Ole Miss
Mississippi State

East
Alabama
auburn
Georgia
Florida
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Kentucky
South Carolina

rocknthefreeworld

Century Club
Just pure speculation on my part (obviously), but if this expansion were to happen, I could see Bama shifting to the East Division with at least 1 extra conference game added to the league schedules. Could look like...

West
Oklahoma
Texas
Texas A&M
LSU
Arkansas
Missouri
Ole Miss
Mississippi State

East
Alabama
auburn
Georgia
Florida
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Kentucky
South Carolina
I think you get pods instead of divisions once you get to 16 teams. And it could be ugly looking but work.

Oklahoma-Texas-A&M-Arkansas
Missouri-LSU-Ole Miss-State
Alabama-Auburn-Vandy-Kentucky
Florida-UGA-UT-SCar

OR

LSU-Florida-Texas-A&M
UA-AU-UGA-SCAR
OleMiss-State-Oklahoma-Arkansas
Missouri-UK-Vandy-UT

Each team plays their pod every year, one other pod (rotates over 3 years), and then a rivalry game. That is either their standard rival (UT in our case) or another rival from a different pod if we are playing our rivals pod that year (LSU for us maybe). That gets you 8 games a year. If you stretch to 9 games then you can add another rivalry game to the mix.

Top Bottom