SnakeFan

Verified Member
Extra Point Club
Reaction score
Coach Kines should have been promoted from interim head coach

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
Probably shouldn't reply to my own post but I really think this is something the GOAT has to figure out if he wants to make one more run. I am not saying this is going to be easy. Heck one of the best defenses I ever saw play was the one that gave up 35 points to Clemson in the 2017 NC. I blame most of that on the ineffectiveness of the offense however. Not that I am bitter or anything....

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
Unpopular opinions....i have....
Ummmmmm.....
I don’t really know where this was intended to go....from the post it was kinda all over the place...from some....refusing to own NC stuff... to changing Ds...to Curry/Perkins/Bowden/Kines...etc
Some things unpopular..to a longg time fan...
1). Our absolutely crap non conference games....
2). The ticket cost...unbelievable.... especially when you add Tidepride
3). Tidepride..with Tide Totals...for away games...stupid that a long time ticket holder cannot get Tenn/lsu/AU away tickets...
4...afternoon September game...week after week....there are evening times networks....
5...blasting music ( a stretch calling some of it music) at stadium... no stretch calling it BLASTING
6... cost of concessions....
But even with all that...aint no place better to be on a Saturday then Bryant-Denny in the fall

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
The only thing I have is and it not about Bama either. It me not being able to go to any home game.

rocknthefreeworld

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
These two tie into each other. Many people rely on those crap non-conference games as the only ones they can afford to go to. If you can only go to a game every few years or so, these give you a chance to save money and go to what should be an easy win to enjoy the experience. I do think we need to cut back on the crap games, but keep at least 1 later in the season for folks to go to easier.

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
@TideatMileHigh , I was recruited by Coach Curry and was on the team his last season and here for Coach Stallings' first season. The 2 were like night and day. While they were strict and were similar in other ways, to me, Coach Stallings was the more personable and approachable one. I don't think he would've righted the ship against the Barn and Dye. Remember, Buster Brown took that '93 team and went undefeated with a bunch of Dye recruits similar to what Coach Stallings did with the '92 team.
@TerryP , I agree with you about a change to the defense. We have been 3-4 base for so long, with some 4-3 mixed in. Would a Gary Patterson 3-3-5 style or a set 4-2-5 be the needed change? Either set having that 1 hybrid player that can make the move from first to second level or second to third level.
I hate the non conference schedule as much as anyone. Until a change from the top at the NCAA office comes down, we will still see an FCS opponent or some crappy teams sent before us for slaughter.
I know football is the straw that stirs the drink, but I agree with @planomateo . BDS can take a back seat on upgrades. We need Coleman jettisoned into this decade and need it done NOW!!!

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Coach Smith was ahead of his time. His offense was a West Coast style, using backs as receivers and implementing Wing T principles in short yardage/goalline. The '89 season was perhaps his best example. Coach Curry was just different. I was closer to OL Coach Jim Fuller, he was the one that recruited me. Quick background on me, I was a walk on QB that was offered a walk on spot after hurting my throwing shoulder during the 3rd game of my senior season. Coach Smith was my position coach, so we spent A LOT of time together. I will say this about the Smith/Curry combo. Curry let Smith run his offense his way and he also allowed input from assistants. Non travel guys went from being tortured at 6am on Fridays by Coach Wingo and staff, to having our own scrimmage for 65-70 plays, before showering and going to class.
Coach Stallings was a more hands on type of coach. He came into the meeting room and basically told the offense, "don't screw things up and put the defense in any binds!" Coach knew everything about "all of us", walk ons included. He knew my hometown, my HS, my coach, my parents, their jobs, and even my sister, 5 1/2 years my junior.

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Well, we know that isn't happening. I hold out hopes that the engineers can work their magic like they did to The Joe. The Joe went from being a dump with 3-4 bandaids, additional bleachers jammed in a tight area and bottom of the conference, to Top 3-4 stadiums in the conference. Fingers crossed for Coleman!!

TideatMileHigh

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Curry Strikes me as a very NFL esque type of guy... which is not surprising considering his background.

Do you think it was a mistake for Stallings to implement his super conservative offensive over what had been used by Smith in the late 80s? That is my biggest knock on Gene Stallings. I feel like his offensive philosophy was just too antiquated against the likes of someone like Spurrier or Cutcliffe at UT.

Top Bottom