| NEWS UA upgrades the lighting in Bryant Denny Stadium. Greg Byrne, "...Crimson after we score?

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
I've heard rumblings about the addition of more pyrotechnics at the games this fall...the last tweet from the AD seems to fit.

I see the red LED's and think "3rd down, AC/DC, and let's hear the bells."

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Thank goodness my dues went up for this bullshit. Exactly why half ton trucks now cost $65,000, added bullshit.

utstnx

TIDE FOR LIFE
Extra Point Club
Reaction score
Well, I'm digging this.

New and very cool LED lighting system.

I sent Greg Bryne a message on Twitter that in an effort to keep he students, fans, and families at the game till then end they should do a fireworks show after the game. Rammer Jammer and let her rip tater chip. Make for some nice photos of bryant denny at night with fireworks. Our local baseball team does that and they are broke. Bama could do it up right and end the night on a bang. Just would have to schedule more night games which I think the fans would enjoy more anyway.

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I sent Greg Bryne a message on Twitter that in an effort to keep he students, fans, and families at the game till then end they should do a fireworks show after the game. Rammer Jammer and let her rip tater chip. Make for some nice photos of bryant denny at night with fireworks. Our local baseball team does that and they are broke. Bama could do it up right and end the night on a bang. Just would have to schedule more night games which I think the fans would enjoy more anyway.

A lot of baseball teams do that now. The university seems to be trying to give fans more bang for their buck.

When I read this tweet, made me think about using the Crimson Leds to help make a grand entrance. Some schools like VaTech have a cool entrance.

Maybe some flashing red lights would be a cool way to up our game. Just have to make sure the visiting team doesn't try to steal our thunder by making their entrance at the same time.

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
Gimmicks......for the Alabama Crimson Tide.....never thought i would live to see day.....of course...there are several weeks before the first game so.....who knows..might not

BamaBoyJosh

Verified Member
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
Gimmicks......for the Alabama Crimson Tide.....never thought i would live to see day.....of course...there are several weeks before the first game so.....who knows..might not
Really? Its lighting, not like they went out and bought a real life Elephant and are parading it around like "HEY COME SEE THE ELEPHANT WHILE ALABAMA STOMPS TULANES HEAD IN!"

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score
Until they fix traffic out of Tuscaloosa, fireworks won't keep people around. They'll also need to find somewhere to set them off (with plenty of safety clearance from the exiting crowd). Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Elderfalsedemigod

Not an alter...maybe an altar
Century Club
Reaction score
Lights??? We don't need no stinkin' lights!!! Need to concentrate on not bending up the season tickets before they are sent out and do something about all those folks standing up during the game

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Until they fix traffic out of Tuscaloosa, fireworks won't keep people around. They'll also need to find somewhere to set them off (with plenty of safety clearance from the exiting crowd). Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
Just set them off from the cemetery!! :ROFLMAO: I'm sure the tenants won't mind!! :ROFLMAO:

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score
Just set them off from the cemetery!! :ROFLMAO: I'm sure the tenants won't mind!! :ROFLMAO:
I can see how it will go when the university goes to the cemetery management:

Alabama: Hello, we'd like to set of a bunch of fireworks after each win from your cemetery.

Cemetery: Uh, where do you want to do this from?

Alabama: Well, to get the right visual effect, we'll need to launch from where Mary, Bob, the Smith family and the Martin family are located.

Cemetery: Hmmm, we manage the cemetery but I don't think the families of those people will appreciate any burning of the plots.

Alabama: What's the problem? Nobody will get hurt.

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
"Country clubs and cemeteries....biggest waste of prime real estate ".....Rodney Dangerfield

B

Bama News

Night games will look a little different at Bryant-Denny Stadium moving forward.

The old lighting system was recently replaced with a new LED systemthat gained attention in videos Alabama released on social media. The exact details weren’t explained beyond that but AL.com spoke with the company that installed the new system.

It involves capabilities to change colors and sync the lighting to music, said Vaughn Blythe of Musco Lighting. The key account manager worked directly with Alabama to create an improved experience for fans in the stadium, watching on TV and for the players on the field.

The old system with 300 light fixtures was replaced with 180 new LED units.

The net result is double the light level while cutting energy consumption in half.

“Yes, they are going to notice it,” Blythe said. “It’s going to be more crisp, more aesthetically pleasing and that goes more to our glare control and how we control glare to the players and the fans. It will feel more like a theater.”

The new lights exceed the broadcast standard for NCAA finals events, Blythe said.

Most of the buzz around this project is going to the color capability added with the RGBW lights.

This component is unique for Musco -- which designed lighting for 13 NFL stadiums -- because it includes new capabilities for the color shifting. It’s the first project for Musco in which the color of the direct lighting to the field can be changed.

In the past, they’d used those colored lights in the canopy of venues that don’t change the full stadium’s look.

These effects will only be used outside of the competition like for pregame or timeouts.

“They just add to the show, the fan experience, the theatrical capability that we are already doing with our field of play fixtures,” Blythe said. “Then you add in the color changing and it’s a cool look from a theatrical standpoint.”

The DMX controls that come with the system allows the school to sync the lighting to traditionally played songs on game day.

The price of this new lighting system has not been disclosed but it comes with a warrantee. The light levels, parts and labor are guaranteed for 25 years, Blythe said.

The first opportunity to see these lights in action also remains a mystery. The only game times announced to date for home games is the Sept. 7 visit from New Mexico State. That kicks off at 3 p.m. Other possibilities include Sept. 21 vs. Southern Miss, Sept. 28 vs. Ole Miss or Oct. 19 vs. Tennessee. Every Alabama-LSU game since 2011 has been played at night and the Tigers come to Tuscaloosa on Nov. 9.

Top Bottom