| FTBL Tua forgoes last year of eligibility- entering the 2020 draft.

BamaBoyJosh

Verified Member
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
Im with you but I was explicitly talking about Boz and his "Tua told the coaches" stuff. Even if he had someone close to the program (I dont believe he does) and they told him that, if he had half a working braincell he would have worded things the same way you did. I never once saw you lay a claim as a definitive fact - even when I attempted to pull it out of you lol - like he does with everything.

As far as the top pick stuff goes... Saban has said as much as Tua was projected as a Top 15 pick but Im wondering how much of a chance is there that you get situations like this where certain people in the league put things out there to the players saying "YOU'D BE A TOP PICK FIVE PICK 100%" especially in this situation knowing there was a high likelihood by the time the draft rolls around he could drop way down the board simply because of the medical stuff and then you have a teams on the back end of the first round getting excited about possibly getting a Top 5 pick at 22-26 range. I know thats super conspiratorial but I've been thinking about that scenario and who - outside of Saban - would be in his orbit to try and protect him from that sort of thing.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I just hope the NFL didn't tell him one thing only to not pick him and hope he falls later in the round to get him at a cheaper price.

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
I wouldn't put it past anyone in that biz to do that... But ultimately, it's just a crap shoot. Teams cannot give away who they want to pick for obvious reasons... Not to mention the medical issues. I think Tua & CO understand it's all just forecasting and educated guesses. But ultimately he ain't falling past 15. Even in the worst case scenario of a RS year, some team would trade up for the upside... Right?!

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Is it possible there was a little word play there? What Tua said to staff members is relayed with a little "journalistic freedom" (for lack of a better phrase) that translated his comments as "told the coaches" versus "staff members?"

To answer my own question ... I'd only be guessing.

You're hitting around what I was casually mentioning earlier. Where is Tony Barnhart coming up with "4th selection" unless that's exactly what he's been fed: from someone, somewhere.

Pardon the analogy but to me it's similar to political talking points we see mirrored from representative to representative, media outlet to media outlet. The "top five selection" is a line that started somewhere, from someone with NFL connections, and it's been pushed around different venues/outlets.

We'll see how accurate what they were told becomes when draft day rolls around. Personally, with no expertise in this area, I hold doubts he'll be that high of a pick. BUT, I gave up trying to figure out how and why NFL execs make their decisions long ago.

Before I went golfing Sunday I had no doubts what Tua wanted to do. However, I didn't expect to see other aspects pushed as strongly as they were. I probably should have at least considered that possibility but naively assumed family first would also include what Tua wanted. But again, what do I know about how their family operates and makes decisions other than what we've seen?

I don't feel upset, disappointed, or in any way jaded about any of his story. Well ... it is disappointing in the sense of how fun it would have been to watch him play another year.

Reaction score
#13's father runs that show and we're lucky because that is why he came to Bama as well as why he is leaving Bama. The only question is did Bama lose 2 QB 's or just one yesterday. We will not learn that until after the draft. I'm in the camp that the father will move #5 to a college near #13's new town so the family can see both play each week. We'll see.

We're back to 2008 ...a reset.....I hope we get the same results on the charge back up the hill.

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
This for sure. I actually appreciate everything Tua did at Bama and wish him all the best in the future. But, it sure would have been fun to watch #13 sling it around one more year at Bama. Just such a great QB and classy kid.

BamaBoyJosh

Verified Member
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
I'm definitely disappointed that we won't get to see him in crimson for another year but my stance this whole time was if he WANTS to go pro then I am happy to see him do what he wants to do. I just can't shake the feeling that he flat out did not WANT to do this, with no inside information or anything, it's just the feeling I get from reading what others have said, the body language he had at the presser, etc. If that's the case, and we will probably never know for 100% fact if it is, it really sucks. I have seen very few people that have pontificated about all of this mention what he WANTS and I really hope that his father and other family members at least brought that into consideration.

Regardless I will root for him and pray - and I don't pray lol - that he doesn't get drafted by some dumpster fire like Miami or something.

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
I just hope whatever team get him. He not toss in to the Lion Den. like a lot of the new QB.

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Damn, Tua and Jerry sign with Steinberg. That's big.

rocknthefreeworld

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
This team is ahead of 2008. Mac is better than McElroy was but the defense has not been as good. Hopefully it will be better next year. And the O Line should be better too.

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
You all know that Mamma and Daddy got to cut that cord on Tua!

Top Bottom