| FTBL Tua forgoes last year of eligibility- entering the 2020 draft.

bamafan9201

Verified Member
Sideline Club
Reaction score
Mac vs Lia vs Young is going to be a thing if Tua leaves so either way it wouldn’t make things much easier

Vabama77

Sideline Club
Reaction score
One thing to note by all the phony posturing the media idiots are doing along with Rival fans is that there seems to be an unsaid realization that bama isn't as "dead" as they would like. As for the remark about tua liking attention , that's total bullshite . Terry is right about that being the complete opposite of who tua is and has shown himself to be. That family is more than about money and im grateful for the class and humility Tua has always shown and the respect our opponents' players have shown him. Michigan players took pictures with him afterwards yesterday ...that says it all. This Jr class is a special group and will be remembered and it's really sickening to see them get ridiculed for possibly wanting to stay together by the same talking head idiots that praised the Clemson defensive line for staying due to '" togetherness and unfinished business". But bama does it and then it's "saban is a great salesman".

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
I read a comment last night from a guy that covers Clemson recruiting and it read "I have no idea what Tua is thinking." No doubt, there's a lot of truth there. But it doesn't stop him as you'll see in the series of tweets embedded here.

Now, to be clear, this isn't a Clemson beat writer, he's a fan. But his post are indicative of what we're referring to here.

He doesn't know what Tua is thinking ...

But ...

He knows Tua is getting bad advice. He knows Tua is making a mistake.

Here's the God's honest truth. He doesn't know what he's talking about, admitted such, but never-the-less here's what he's saying ...

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
The amount of research and internal thought processing I go through on a small financial decision is a lot, perhaps overwhelming to some.. Gets even more daunting on larger financial decisions. I can't even imagine what this decision would be like. I'd try to lay out all the facts as I know them and make the best decision I can with a shit load of research and input from people smarter than me.

I don't envy his struggle with this, nor do I envy the fishbowl that he's in where many who know nothing about him will judge and provide their own feedback on why he made a mistake.

Social media has enabled everyone to have a hot take and share it with anyone listening.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Here's where my view of the QB situation differs from a lot of others.

There are a good number of folks how have a lot of faith in Lia. I get that. However, there are a lot of that group that believe they've seen something from Lia that they haven't. We have nothing to base what he can bring to the table other than speculation.

There's another group that believes Young will almost walk into the job as QB1. Here's a case of believing something, with no basis again, about a kid who has yet to take a college snap.

There are still a good number of folks who don't believe Mac is a good quarterback. Just looking at his games this season ...

His rating is over 210.
His completion percentage is over 68% (I think it's 68.8% but don't want to do the math.)
He passed for over 1500 yards in his starts.
TD to INT ratio- 14 to 3.

I could point to Michigan's defense and the ranking they brought into the bowl game. When we take that into consideration and then see Mac set a bowl record for passing yards ... what are people supposed think? Not capable, capable, or more than capable. Me? I'm in the last camp (as you've seen over the last month or so, I assume.)

Mac played a hell of a game against Michigan and yet we've still got a group thinking we're looking at competition IF Tua had chosen to leave? There's nothing to support that line of thinking in my view.

rocknthefreeworld

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
I still don't get the "Lawrence is obvious and guaranteed #1 next year" stuff. Dude looked horrible early in the year this year. No promise he won't look terrible again next year.

jdpas29

Verified Member
Bama Club
Reaction score
If Tua leaves, it is Mac’s job to lose for sure. He is steady and durable and makes some great clutch plays. He doesn’t have the WOW factor that Tua has but it isn’t fair to compare QBs to Tua frankly. I’m excited about next years offense.

ElephantStomp

Verified Member
Bama Club
Reaction score
If Tua leaves the job is Mac’s I have zero doubt. The dude proved he can ball out. I’m of the belief that the only way that doesn’t happen is if Mac shits to bed. But, there were people who thought Jalen was a better QB than Tua

I will say I think if Tua does come back Mac will transfer.

bamafan9201

Verified Member
Sideline Club
Reaction score
I think we'd be foolish to believe that Saban doesn't want some healthy competition going into camp. Young and Lia are capable (Sorry Tyson you're just not there yet) of pushing for the starting job. Just because there is a competition for the position doesn't mean that Mac would lose, as we all remember Cooper Bateman started over Jalen Hurts for a bit there and nobody thought Hurts was going to win that position at the time since Bateman and Barnett had been around for a bit already and Saban never went with a Freshman before. Now we all know that Saban goes for whoever gives him the best shot at a NCC.

Mac has been good, better than I expected honestly. I'd like to see what he can do with the game on his shoulders, let's not forget he's also the same QB who lost the duel to Bo Nix when it mattered.

As far as Lia goes, he was very highly sought-after during Highschool has looked serviceable in back-up role so far and supposedly was right behind Mac. Now that he's had a year to season himself and learn more about reading coverage his raw talent may win him the job in camp. Same goes for Bryce Young who many national pundits are saying will push for starting time this year. Many equate him to being the next Tua, I don't like buying into hype but to pretend the smoke doesn't mean there is some fire would be foolish, too.

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Were the Clemson DL that came back projected to be drafed in the top 10? I know they were not coming of a bad injury. Anyway that may be something to consider on the difference.

To claim Saban is doing some kind of sinister recruiting and giving Tua and his family bad advice is irresponsible to say the least. The competition has something to gain with Tua gone from Bama. If anything Saban would be taking on the risk of Tua not being able to perform due to the injury or being re-injured. What happens if the injury does impact Tua's ability to perform? Then Saban has to address making a decision if he has an option that would give the team a better chance at being successful? Could you imagine the stress if that were to happen. The other side is he performs but gets hurt again. I really think it is less stress for Saban if he goes which in my opinion is why these reports are bs...

From a distance it feels like Tua on a personal level really wants to come back because he enjoys the college game and playing with his teammates but the struggle is the business side of how do you walk away from a once in a lifetime opportunity. So many talking heads and mock draft people providing mixed information is not helping.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
I saw a similar statement earlier this morning.

Where's the consideration of his decision being one that makes him happy? As in, this is what he wants to do.

I'd love to see a comparison with the people who say "he needs to go grab the money" who also say "money is what's ruining college football."

94 Grad

Century Club
Reaction score

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Exactly! I bet these line up pretty favorably. Right now, right now is what money does to people and how it affects college football. A lot of negativity brought about because of the almighty dollar. So for those players wanting a degree or simply prolong their college life, now they are in the wrong in a lot of people's eyes. Since when did getting an education become making the wrong decision? Since when did you doing what you wanted with your life become the wrong decision?

And all of those people acting as if they know the best answer, let's take a look at your finances and see if you're as smart and savvy as you try and come across, since you seemingly know what's best for another person. Most of this country is swimming in debt in efforts of having the new iPhone, getting that new TV, driving the newest car, yet most of these people are the ones that think they know the answer to a multi-million dollar situation. Ha, please!

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
All valid points. Because of what media has become... And maybe society has always been this way and it's just exposed more... Everyone wants to be in everyone else's "pockets" to tell them, judge, or figure out how much $ so and so is going to make and why. It's proven to be very valuable entertainment. There are times I enjoy it... Not gonna lie, and perhaps even have my own opinions on the matter 🙂

On the other hand, there will eventually be a black and white argument to be made in terms of how much $ Tua, or any player, will make on their first contract. I don't know much about Herbert but I assume he dealt with this a year ago... Seems to be a in a happy place. Some kids and their families need or value the $ more than others. Some value the college experience more? Tebow takes a lot of shit, but he's a pretty good voice for those types of kids. Tua, while much quieter, seems to favor TT in a lot of ways. I can appreciate that!

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
Just think if Jones had gone somewhere else? I think he would be in that school record book!

PurlJam

Century Club
Reaction score

94 Grad

Century Club
Reaction score

It's funny, he thinks Trevor and Fields would be the 1/2 QB picks next year; however Tua has a much better QBR and over stats rating. He's also regarded as being extremely accurate, which the NFL loves... to go along with being able to throw the slant pass to perfection, another NFL drooling point. I don't think Tua would be anything but QB1 if he returns and completes the season... and I can smell the fear on the opposing fan base already!

Top Bottom