| FTBL Top 5 Teams To Start 2020?

Destiny's Child

It's Rolling Baby
Extra Point Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
I think it’s funny how everyone just writes off Paul Tyson. To me when Taulia and he were in high school.. I thought Paul was the better of the two players. He is not your typical walk on QB. Now Bryce has more talent than all of them but he has a lot of learning to do

ElephantStomp

Verified Member
Bama Club
Reaction score
1. Clemson
2. LSU
3. Ohio St
4. Georgia
5. Baylor

To me there shouldn’t be a poll until at least 3 weeks in

S

SEC Sports

Don't tell Clemson coach Dabo Swinney rankings don't matter.

He vouched for respect all season for his defending national champion football team, except in the preseason.

“Unless they bring us a trophy and tear the concrete out over there and put the preseason champs up there, I don’t think we’re going to do that,” Swinney said last August when Clemson was the preseason No. 1 for the first time in program history. “So it just doesn’t matter. That’s probably the only con is it just creates conversation that’s unnecessary because it’s not worth the paper it’s printed on.

"All you’ve gotta do is take the last 10 years the preseason polls and a lot of those teams in the top five don’t even finish ranked."

With the 2019 college football season set to finish up Monday night in New Orleans, it's never too early too look ahead to which teams will be the nation's best next fall, a somewhat predictable glance at contenders followed by a handful of programs with a shot if all falls into place.

In a story that will be updated throughout the offseason leading into fall practice, here's a first look at our Way-Too-Early Preseason Top 25 for 2020 in college football:

25. Tennessee Vols

24. Virginia Cavaliers

23. UCF Knights

22. Boise State Broncos

21. Arizona State Sun Devils

The word: What's in store for Jeremy Pruitt's third season in Knoxville? The Vols will enter the 2020 season on a six-game winning streak overflowing with confidence after a hot finish this fall. ... UCF is looking for a rebound season as potentially the Group of 5's best team, but the Knights will have to battle North Carolina early and fight through Boise State and Cincinnati in the rankings to get to a premiere bowl game. ... Herm Edwards and Arizona State is a confident bunch and expect big things from Jayden Daniels as a sophomore.

15. Minnesota Golden Gophers

14. Wisconsin Badgers

13. Michigan Wolverines

12. Texas Longhorns

11. Auburn Tigers

The word: Is it do or die time for Tom Herman in Austin? With a senior leader at quarterback in Sam Ehlinger, it's worth buying stock in Herman and the Longhorns in 2020 if the price is affordable coming out of summer with a healthy roster. Texas was a mash unit on defense this fall and succumbed to three quality opponents — LSU, Oklahoma and Iowa State — by one possession among its five total losses. Taking the field with a full chamber and winning close games matters inside the Top 25, two sticking points for the Longhorns next season. ... What's in store for Bo Nix's encore at Auburn?

10. Penn State Nittany Lions

9. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

8. Florida Gators

The word: One of college football's most underrated players this season after coming in for injured Feleipe Franks in September, Florida's Kyle Trask will be a recognizable name nationally entering his second year as Dan Mullen's starter as potentially the SEC's top player at his position. Trask provided stability for a team that hit double-digit wins again and finished a win over Georgia shy of taking the SEC East. And given the Bulldogs' questions on offense, media members could be split down the middle on 2020's preseason division favorite.

7. Oklahoma Sooners

6. Georgia Bulldogs

The word: Can Oklahoma continue its reign at the top of the Big 12? The Sooners will enter the new season with heralded 2019 signee Spencer Rattler at quarterback and many of their big bodies at the line of scrimmage back as the preseason league fave. And guess what? Lincoln Riley didn't bolt to the NFL, like some — not Lincoln — had projected for months. ... Georgia could have its best defense in Kirby Smart's tenure in 2020 with the bulk of its strength returning on that side of the ball, but how the Bulldogs look on offense could keep them out of the preseason Top 5 in August. We'll know more after the spring, but former Wake Forest quarterback Jamie Newman's transfer decision could have a domino effect in the SEC East if he's as good as advertised in the wake of Jake Fromm's exit to the NFL. He'll likely be one of nine new starters on offense, a unit depleted by players leaving early.

5. OREGON DUCKS

The word: Oregon is hoping to use its banner 2019 season as a jetpack to even more next season during Mario Cristobal's third campaign. A fast-rising coach, Cristobal put together the best recruiting haul in program history last cycle and is welcoming a Top 15 class in 2020 per the 247Sports Composite. That means the Ducks are reloading, not rebuilding, as defending Pac-12 and Rose Bowl champions. Five-star insider linebackers Justin Flowe and Noah Sewell are instant impact players on a defensive unit that looks to be one of the nation's best. How much will Justin Herbert's departure affect the Ducks on offense?

4. ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE

The word: Most of us jumped the gun on Alabama's "revenge tour" last season, but few saw the step back on defense thanks to injuries to several starters either. LSU's surge coupled with Tua Tagovailoa's season-ending injury in mid-November disrupted the Crimson Tide's quest to reach the College Football Playoff and led to their lowest-performing season since 2010. Alabama will be inside the Top 5 entering the season with former five-star Dylan Moses, among others, returning with an interesting quarterback battle on its hands between Mac Jones and freshman sensation Bryce Young. Surprisingly, even with Tagovailoa and Jerry Jeudy's departure to the NFL, Alabama survived the early rush of juniors to the next level and will have one of the nation's most talented rosters once again.

3. LSU TIGERS

The word: How much will the mass exodus of talent to the NFL affect the Tigers? With Ja'Marr Chase and Terrace Marshall Jr. back at wideout, several blossoming playmakers on defnese and the expected retention of Joe Brady and Steve Ensminger as the brains behind the offense, don't expect much drop off from Ed Orgeron's boys. There's no Joe Burrow in that quarterback room, but who's to say Myles Brennan won't be one of the SEC's breakout players? Of all the contenders next season, LSU has one of the toughest slates with road games against Florida, Auburn and Texas A&M as well as home showdowns vs. Texas and Alabama. But that got through that stretch in 2019 with no issues.

2. OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

The word: The torchbearer in the Big Ten, the Buckeyes should be scary good once again. Peeking at Ohio State's projected two-deep, there's still a wealth of riches in terms of playmakers on offense, led by reigning Heisman finalist Justin Fields. Several starters returning along the offensive front might be the biggest positive for a team that finished one completion away from playing for a national title in 2019. The major question for Ohio State will be on defense where a couple first-round picks in the secondary exit as well as the most dominant player nationally in the trenches in Chase Young. But Ryan Day has recruited well and Ohio State will be the overwhelming Big Ten favorite.

1. CLEMSON TIGERS

The word: Trevor Lawrence is the singlemost important returning player in college football season and Clemson gets him one more year, not to mention the nation's top-ranked recruiting class coming in that will undoubtedly make a major impact with six five-stars headliners and seven of the Top 30 players nationally, per the 247Sports Composite. It's an all-time class for the Tigers as they try and play for a national title for the fifth time in six seasons in 2020. As a junior, Lawrence will be one of the Heisman frontrunners and once again, the Clemson's schedule sets up for another 12-0 regular-season slate if Dabo's team gets past Notre Dame in South Bend on Nov. 7.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
I might consider a bet that they'd be in the top 25, between 20-25, but in the top five or top 10?

I don't expect them to finish in the top 10 this season and question why they were before the bowl season commenced.

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
People buying into the Ogre one hit season. Not buying it will be sustained just like the Barn couldn't do it with very mediocre coach(es) after their Fig Newton 2010 year.

I guess they would be more likely to than the Barn because of better recruiting but I just don't see it sustaining when you become the hunted and you have to find a new QB.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
1. Clemson
2. Ohio State
3. Alabama
4. LSU
5. Oklahoma

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score
A lot of preseason ranking is based on where a team finishes. The early rankings mean nothing and only help to hype game broadcasts and media. If it were me, I'd wait until October to have the first rankings. Of course, the media would then just continue the rankings and call them "unofficial."

Destiny's Child

It's Rolling Baby
Extra Point Club
Reaction score
Tyson is a walk on as he did not get a athletic scholarship.. Bear Bryants Grandson did not need one. He was recruited and offered but I believe he is on the Bryant scholarship or on self pay.

All I am saying is he is a real athlete and was a much better passer than Taulia in High School.. I watched them both play in person against like opponents a bunch. No illusions that kids dont learn at different speeds from High School to college and maybe Taulia got a leg up before the season began. I also have stated that I think Bryce has special talent and the ball explodes out of his hand but I don't think anyone should write Paul Tyson off. If I remember right, I think part of the reason that Tyson was redshirted is because they made some technical changes in his throwing motion/ footwork.. the arm talent is there though.

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score
I don't think he's on the Bryant Scholarship. The Bryant Scholarship was established by Coach Bryant to pay some of, not all, the tuition and board expenses of the children of his players and coaches. It's not a complete ride.

He was offered a scholarship by Saban but I don't know if he has an athletic scholarship.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Of course they are and the reasoning is understandable: teams do get a 'boost' from how they close out a season and their approach going into the next (especially when they have a significant number of returning players.)

I mentioned this in my earlier comment. Baylor went into their bowl game ranked ninth, arguably a ranking that too high, and lost to UGA and OU to close out their 2019-2020 season. The last AP poll has Baylor at #13. I can't see them moving up to a top ten and I'll say "there's no way they end up in the top five to start 2020."

alabama mike

Probably At A Ballgame
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Preseason rankings from Althon's, Sporting News, SI and Lindy's means dollar signs, plain and simple. As @TerryP stated, teams do get a boost from those bowl games as well as playing in conference championship games. It will be interesting to me to see if LSU gets a QB to come in and play immediately from the transfer portal. Clemson, Ohio St. and Alabama are just going to reload and play. I see those three teams making another deep run next season, the question in my mind is who is going to be number four? That's why we play the games.

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
With Bama and UGA playing during the season one of those teams will have an uphill climb and no margin for error throughout the season. Not totally out of it with a loss but a harder path.

12gage

Century Club
Reaction score

25. Tennessee Vols
17. Texas A&M Aggies
11. Auburn Tigers
8. Florida Gators
6. Georgia Bulldogs
5. OREGON DUCKS
4. ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE

The word: Most of us jumped the gun on Alabama's "revenge tour" last season, but few saw the step back on defense thanks to injuries to several starters either. LSU's surge coupled with Tua Tagovailoa's season-ending injury in mid-November disrupted the Crimson Tide's quest to reach the College Football Playoff and led to their lowest-performing season since 2010. Alabama will be inside the Top 5 entering the season with former five-star Dylan Moses, among others, returning with an interesting quarterback battle on its hands between Mac Jones and freshman sensation Bryce Young. Surprisingly, even with Tagovailoa and Jerry Jeudy's departure to the NFL, Alabama survived the early rush of juniors to the next level and will have one of the nation's most talented rosters once again.
3. LSU TIGERS
2. OHIO STATE BUCKEYES
1. CLEMSON TIGERS

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
No way this will be correct. LSU will drop like a rock. Bama will be where bama normally is going into the CFP at 1 or 2. Bama not being badly disrespected but just enough that Saban can show them that everyone believes the whos down in whoville are the new king of the SEC.

This came out on Jan 13th. Was this before the departures for the Who were announced?

Top Bottom