| NEWS 📺 times and networks announced for games on September 21: Bama vs Southern Miss kickoff to be at 11AM

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score
When high schools in Massachussets won't practice if it's over 85 degrees, playing a game in 90+ degree heat (field temperatures - on grass - will go up ~10 degrees) is dangerous. Having fans sit on metal seats in that heat is also dangerous.

MunchyOs

Verified Member
Extra Point Club
Reaction score
This is also a by-product of the championship games and moving to a 12 game schedule. In another thread we talked about the 1989 team being honored this past weekend. Their first game was 9/16.
I had totally forgotten about that. Back then, it was not uncommon at all for a team's first game to be the 2nd or even 3rd weekend of September. I remember that game with Memphis (then Memphis State) back in 1989. My grandfather and I were watching a game on TV and were listening to the Bama game on his 8 track player stereo. I remember wanting to beat Memphis way worse than the 35-7 final because they had beaten us 2 years earlier in Curry's first season. The Curry era, for all of it's shortcomings, did bring some good memories. But dropping a game to Memphis in 1987 was just unthinkable. I had just to grips with the loss to Florida a few weeks earlier when the Memphis loss happened. That one still sticks in my craw.

Top Bottom