| NEWS Tide commit Demouy Kennedy shares Nick Saban recruiting pitch, Gus Malzahn reaction to decommitment - AL.com

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Sal Sunseri recruit, Kennedy is rated the No. 6 outside linebacker and the No. 96 overall player in the country, per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite Rankings.

He really showed up yesterday at camp.

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Theodore has been a talent pipeline for LB's during Saban's tenure.

BAMAneck

Extra Point Club
Reaction score
Just based off his size right now . Not saying he can’t hit a growth spurt but I don't Really see him as a straight up “ linebacker “ but more in the seance of a strong safety.

Seems to be a playmaker though .

17Champs

Extra Point Club
Reaction score
Just based off his size right now . Not saying he can’t hit a growth spurt but I don't Really see him as a straight up “ linebacker “ but more in the seance of a strong safety.

Considering it is June and he still has a year ahead of him putting on 20-30 pounds in a year isn't a stretch of the imagination. He has the frame to handle that weight at 6'2".

Where was he working out at the camp?

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
Considering it is June and he still has a year ahead of him putting on 20-30 pounds in a year isn't a stretch of the imagination. He has the frame to handle that weight at 6'2".

Good weight for covering kickoffs

Reaction score
I am glad Nick and staff are looking to sign these talented players from the state of Alabama

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score

Usually I would agree with you... When you see 6'2 205 ish lbs, that's about right.

But after watching his clips he looks and plays bigger. And we never really know the exact height but he's looks light and still growing.

So if/when he shows up on campus at 6'3 225 and then puts on another 15 we could def see him more as an OLB. And even if he's not that heavy, he could be in that Rashaan Evans mold of playing inside or outside with great speed.

At this point, I'm more excited to see the lighter/skinnier LB's than the big thumpers. Just so much ground to cover and so many ways to get beat without speed, opposed to bulk.

Anyway, love the pickup he looks like a real player! RTR

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Mostly with the outside guys. In drill work, he worked out with the inside guys.
So if/when he shows up on campus at 6'3 225
People at Theodore have compared him (today) to CJ when he was between his Jr. and Sr. years in high school. If you recall, CJ arrived in Tuscaloosa at around the same height, but was closer to 230 lbs.

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
I saw a clip on Nick once when he talked about recruiting.... in the clip... nick said when he got interested in a boy.... he would watch EVERY SINGLE play that he boy was in... while in HS....
After that......if Nick offers him... good with me and no longer do I follow recruiting... jacobs is great example....!

Elderfalsedemigod

Not an alter...maybe an altar
Century Club
Reaction score
I know it is high school against high school talent but I really like his quickness and he looked good in coverage several times

Made several folks pay for leaving him unblocked on the backside of plays

B

Bama News

Once committed to Auburn, Theodore linebacker Demouy Kennedy gave his verbal to Nick Saban and Alabama on Sunday.

On Wednesday, he shared the biggest impression Nick Saban left on him, while discussing how Auburn coach Gus Malzahn took the news of his decommitment.

“I loved the visit and the (Alabama) campus,” said Kennedy, who joined me and Lee Shirvanian on “The Opening Kickoff” on WNSP-FM 105.5 on Wednesday morning. “I like how they treated me. They took care of me there. They are going to make sure I’m alright.”

The 6-foot-2, 205-pound Kennedy had been committed to Auburn last summer but announced in March he had decommitted.

He was asked about the process of decommitting from Auburn.

“I told (Malzahn) I was just excited, and I didn’t know what to do,” Kennedy said. “I said, ‘recruiting was new to me. I was just excited and didn’t know what to do with it.’ He said he understands, and he thinks I’m making the right decision.”

Kennedy released a Top 5 last week that, along with Alabama, included Auburn, LSU, Georgia and TCU.

Of the recruiting trips Kennedy took, he was most impressed with Alabama’s facilities, citing the barber shop, game room and weight room as examples.

Perhaps even more memorable was Saban’s pitch to Kennedy during his visit.

They were standing next to two tables, he said. One was clear of anything. The other had championship rings on it.

“I liked when he said, ‘Would you rather gamble on this table (pointing to the ring table) or the other table?' I said, ‘I’m gambling on the ring table.’"

Kennedy finished 2018 season with 100 tackles, including 15 for a loss, and 12 sacks. He also intercepted two passes for the Bobcats, who won the Class 7A Region 1 title.

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
Now the pressure ramps up from other programs. So much pressure on kids.

utstnx

TIDE FOR LIFE
Extra Point Club
Reaction score
'he was most impressed with Alabama’s facilities, citing the barber shop, game room and weight room as examples ' So for all the people who said these kids dont come here for barbershops and different colored jerseys and such......well there you go. This stuff matters to these kids. I say Bama is gonna have to keep ahead of the curve in these areas to keep drawing top talent.

Reaction score
Oh I took a wrong turn, it was the right turn
My turn to have me a ball
Boys at the shop told me just where to stop
If I wanted to play for it all

12gage

Century Club
Reaction score
I've seen him compared to CJ. He looks just like him here.

Does anyone remember how much CJ weighed in his junior year of high school?

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I have to admit Gus' reaction is pretty top notch character wise. Didn't drill the kid, but put his arm around the kid when he made the decision.

Also, clever pitch by Coach Saban.

Top Bottom