OT These tend to amuse me. Check out the baseball swing from this 5 yr old. Mechanics, folks. Mechanics.

TerryP

I play triangle in an air band.
ADMINISTRATION

Reminds me of playing a round several years ago with a kid that just turned 10. He was playing from the red's, me from the white's, and he finished just a few stokes off what I had posted. I didn't shoot too badly that day either.

If you are friends with this guy tell him the kid does lock out his front arm. Makes his swing long and strong. He will be fine now but once that ball is being thrown that will have to be fixed. He should use the knob of the bat like a flashlight shining towards the ball that he is trying to hit. But for 5 years old he has a better swing than my 13 year old step-son's swing. I am sure the 5 year old listens better than my 13 year old. No I am sure the 5 year old listens better.

TerryP

I play triangle in an air band.
ADMINISTRATION
@No Huddle, I was also watching the way he is rolling his right wrist through impact. It reminds me of a golf swing which leaves me thinking he's playing both but hasn't refined either.

Birdman37

Verified Member
You joke but that kid has better form than most the high school seniors I seen now adays. When you get down to those smaller classes, man its ugly.

@No Huddle, I was also watching the way he is rolling his right wrist through impact. It reminds me of a golf swing which leaves me thinking he's playing both but hasn't refined either.
You might be on to something. However, I used to know an old timer that played pro ball and he said he was taught to pop your wrist at contact. I guess without slow motion the follow through after contact was what they were "seeing" and thought the pop at contact added power. Just speculation. Never really asked the guy why, just said yes sir and tried to do what he said.

You joke but that kid has better form than most the high school seniors I seen now adays. When you get down to those smaller classes, man its ugly.
I coached a lot of baseball and football. Most baseball swings are for the fences not for contact. Like I said long and strong but slow. Plus they watch MLB and those guys can have ugly form and still kill it. Keep in mind those MLB guys can hide bad mechanics with their God given skills that very few people have. If you ever listen to Pete Rose teach someone how to hit, don't. Not good at all.

TUSKstuff

Riding The Wave
I coached a lot of baseball and football. Most baseball swings are for the fences not for contact. Like I said long and strong but slow. Plus they watch MLB and those guys can have ugly form and still kill it. Keep in mind those MLB guys can hide bad mechanics with their God given skills that very few people have. If you ever listen to Pete Rose teach someone how to hit, don't. Not good at all.
Not all hitters are created equal. Whether it's baseball, golf, tennis, basketball, hockey, it is always about the stroke. Get that right fundamentally and all things are possible. I was watching Jason Haywood of the Cubs the other night and he is still gripping the bat in a twisted manner and just like when he was at Atlanta as a rookie he misses a ton of hits. We all can't be Rod Carew but taking the time to be fundamentally sound with your swing means a lot.

Birdman37

Verified Member
That's one of the reasons I really respect Enterprise's high school coach right now. He is super duper Saban-levels of anal about all the little details. They have one kid thats just a genetic freak and sometimes would get lazy and just rely on the fact that he can swing for the fences and most of the time kill the ball no matter what is technique is and the coaches will just chew him up alive about it. Had offers from a bunch of DI schools but chose Navy for football instead.

uagrad93

Jack of all trades!!
HARRY'S
I coached HS ball for several years and I would never mess with a kids swing if he was making consistent and strong contact. I worked a few camps with Tommy Walker when he was the HC at Samford University. He used to always talk about having the hands quiet, in a "punch" position like a boxer, with the elbows tucked and not look like they had posed for the Little League trophy!!!! A few kids, I had to reposition hands, elbows, feet, etc.

As for the video, I wish the kid was swinging a bat that wasn't longer than he is tall!!! The proper bat might help that speed and those wrists!!