Football The Jalen saga continues..

TerryP

I do my own stunts but never intentionally.
ADMINISTRATION
As we see this begin to shake out with Jalen, in more definitive terms, there's one thing I try to keep in mind with regard to Saban...

I've seen how some coaches have upset Saban--in many facets of life--and watched these coaches see the side of Saban that looks at everything through a perspective I'll call unique. I don't know how he, Saban, was able set aside some of the things he dealt with concerning Lance, but he did. It's not mine to speculate why but I do try to remember stories like that when I think about this...

BB6's father, and that story, I have to comments on: 1) Damn. 2) Ain't my kid, but damn. I've used that in the last year with others. I know if I'd dealt with certain type of parent, and it had a bearing on my job, I'd have to be very careful in how I'd react. They want this for their kid versus I want this for my team. You'll only be guessing, but how do you think Saban is wired to react? Not a year ago, but today?

There's a question of trust here. Levels of trust between coach, player, and parent(s) that ... geez, not a place I envy.

I can get comfortable with "this will shake itself out."

Last edited:

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
I've seen how some coaches have upset Saban--in many facets of life--and watched these coaches see the side of Saban that looks at everything through a perspective I'll call unique. I don't know how he, Saban, was able set aside some of the things he dealt with concerning Lance, but he did. It's not mine to speculate why but I do try to remember stories like that when I think about this...

BB6's father, and that story, I have to comments on: 1) Damn. 2) Ain't my kid, but damn. I've used that in the last year with others. I know if I'd dealt with certain type of parent, and it had a bearing on my job, I'd have to be very careful in how I'd react. They want this for their kid versus I want this for my team. You'll only be guessing, but how do you think Saban is wired to react? Not a year ago, but today?

There's a question of trust here. Levels of trust between coach, player, and parent(s) that ... geez, not a place I envy.

I can get comfortable with "this will shake itself out."
With Barnett, Saban didn't name a starter and he still left after the 4th game. People are so different emotionally I can't imagine you get the same situation twice. Saban is left to follow his best instincts. That's the path more of us follow anyway.

When these kids are recruited, it's often the parent that plays the pivotal role in getting them to the Capstone. It might be the parent that keeps them settled when things aren't going their way once they're here. And we see situations where it's the parent who unduly influences these kids and it pushes them away when they might be inclined to tough it out. But again, I doubt Saban ever gets the same situation twice because parents and players are always one of a kind.

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
HARRY'S
@TUSKtimes I'll agree with you in saying that the parent who likely influences their kids the most in getting here and then pushing for playing or transferring. One thing I will say though, is that Coach Saban probably does see this situation more than any of us think. When I coached HS ball, the parents were always the last to figure out that their son wasn't as good as the kid in front of their kid, even when the kid could see the writing on the wall. Parents would blow up and bitch and moan and then their son would come in an apologize for their parents behavior. The difference between Coach Saban and your local HS coach, said kid has already gotten to college and now that NFL dream is there and the parent can see those $$$$$$$ in the near future.
@TerryP I think that Coach Saban is perhaps the greatest at getting that parents trust outside of the occasional BB6 parent. Sometimes, you can convince that kid A LOT easier of "what is in his best interest" than what you can a parent. At Saban's level, I wouldn't want ANY part of that!!!

I didn't listen to Hey Coach last night but a poster on another site stated

Quote.......
He was ranting about players complaining they only played 15 or so plays. It was more of a veiled shot and it was scathing.

I will assume the poster was making more of what Nick said. Did anybody else listen to the show?

sk33tr

el jefe
HARRY'S
I didn't listen to Hey Coach last night but a poster on another site stated

Quote.......
He was ranting about players complaining they only played 15 or so plays. It was more of a veiled shot and it was scathing.

I will assume the poster was making more of what Nick said. Did anybody else listen to the show?
i totally forgot to listen

this season kind of crept up on me....either that or i'm getting older and things are just going by quicker

i blame the hippies, either way :D

From the lowest level to the highest level of college athletics - Even the 8 Million Dollar man is dependant on 18-22 yr olds AND THEIR PARENTS. I look at the Tua situation... If not for his parents being solid people, a lot could be different... A lot.

College athletes are just that... not professionals. Saban more than anyone tries to treat them professionally... But ultimately, they aren't. The trust thing is crazy because both kids and coaches leave with a lot of his coaching and personal information. But he's paid the big bucks to deal with it... He'll be "aight".

Would've liked to have been there for that convo... If Jalen approached/reacted in a positive manner and still expressed his willingness to help in whatever ways possible, more power to him.

The grey area could be a bitch though... What if Tua got dinged but only cor a couple weeks?! Hmmm

Hope all parties are able to pull this off without hurting the Team....The Team

Coach Bryant.........“People who are in it for their own good are individualists. They don’t share the same heartbeat that makes a team so great. A great unit, whether it be football or any organization, shares the same heartbeat.”

We'll see

Jalen still has a few games he could play in and not lose a year. And he should graduate this year so he could play immediately anywhere he goes and have 2 years left. I hate seeing it happen like that, but done right this could be beneficial to everyone.

So... I’m not familiar with this. The redshirt move is so that he can transfer and play somewhere else in January?
If he graduates in December he can transfer elsewhere, play next season, and have 2 years left. He would not be able to play in a January bowl though without giving up the year.

planomateo

Ready to put Tejas in the rear view, hello Montana
ADMINISTRATION
HARRY'S
Many folks expected this to happen, considering Jalen graduates in December. He'll get two more years of competition if he transfers.

So... I’m not familiar with this. The redshirt move is so that he can transfer and play somewhere else in January?
Under a rock for the last 6 months? :-) NCAA is now allowing up to 4 games of participation while maintaining redshirt status. DI football to offer more participation opportunities