NEWS The Heisman Trophy - 2018: News and notes for the December 8th announcement.

bamafan9201

Verified Member
Tua played against MUCH tougher defenses than Tyler Murray. Are there ANY teams in his conference that have a good defense? How many can compare to Bama, LSU, Mississippi State, etc?
Since we've moved over here now, here's the stats I posted on the previous thread on the defenses they both faced.

Defenses Tua Tagovailoa faced this season:
Louisville - 122
Arkansas State - 49
Ole Miss - 121
Texas A&M - 36
ULL - 95
Arkansas - 76
Missouri - 53
Tennessee - 50
LSU - 29
Mississippi State - 3
Citadel - 66 (Equated to 395.4 ypg) which is good for 66 in FBS
Auburn - 45
Georgia - 13

AVERAGE DEFENSE FACED: 58TH

Defenses Kyler Murray faced this season:
FAU - 90
UCLA - 105
ISU - 34
Army - 11
Baylor - 77
Texas - 68
TCU - 26
KSU - 73
TTU - 111
OKST - 99
KU - 80
WVU - 74
Tex - 68

AVERAGE DEFENSE FACED: 70th

Tua faced better defenses through his run than Kyler has, also facing multiple defenses stronger than Kyler's best defense. If it wasn't for Louisville and Ole Miss imploding on defense, Tua would have a much higher ranking than it even is.

Adjusted Ranks Removed two worst defenses:

Tua - 47th (-11)
Kyler - 64th (-6)

Kyler struggled mightily against the 58th ranked defense, only breaking through in the 4th quarter to make the game close, Tua struggled against the number 13th ranked defense.

Kyler has a loss, Tua does not. Kyler has played nearly 3 games more than Tua has in minutes during the season and plays in a very system-like offense. Nearly identical stats to Baker Mayfield, suggest that Oklahoma while strong, is just a system offense that anyone could run.

To me, the Heisman lost all credibility with $cam, Manziel, and then Crablegs Winston.
With that said, I still believe that Tua should be the winner based on his body of work over the ENTIRE season and not for 1 game. Murray is super talented but he plays in a trash conference where it has a closer resemblance to flag football for 7-8 year olds rather than D1 college football.
And let's not forget MURRAY IS A [legitimate] PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE.

HTW Charlie Ward was on the radio tonight talking about Tua's numbers being "good" (in a tone and context of not being as good as Murray's) and "not playing in the 4th quarter" like it was a negative.. THAT...was a first. I could not even process where he was coming from.

XXL TideFan

Apparently I'm a Jackass
If Tua had been left in and we ran the score way up with all of the gaudy stats to go with it, everyone out there would be moaning about us having no class and just show boating.

If Tua had been left in and we ran the score way up with all of the gaudy stats to go with it, everyone out there would be moaning about us having no class and just show boating.
Yeah... to do that you have to have a crappy Defense so it's still a game in the 4th and the starters are still in.... otherwise it's "poor form"... so He get's the benefit of having better stats due to a crappy defense.

Yeah... to do that you have to have a crappy Defense so it's still a game in the 4th and the starters are still in.... otherwise it's "poor form"... so He get's the benefit of having better stats due to a crappy defense.
Speaking of QBs with crappy defenses..

BamaBoyJosh

Verified Member
Oh God, they have him hooked up to that stupid hydro/aqua therapy machine. I freaking hate that thing. They say it speeds up the recovery but it hurts so bad. It's freezing cold and squeezes the shit out of your ankle. I had to wear it for 15-20 minutes after every session when I was in physical therapy last year.

planomateo

Ready to put Tejas in the rear view, hello Montana
ADMINISTRATION
HARRY'S
Good, figured they'd send a few guys with him to get some PT in while doing the tour.

TerryP

ADMINISTRATION
A side note/question.

Do you guys consider the championship games (SECCG, ACCCG, et. al.) to be part of the regular season? Or, is it post-season?
I've always thought the reference to "an undefeated regular season" wouldn't include the championship game. Right?

I ask this because of one paragraph on the Heisman site—specifically, on how the balloting works.

The Trust respects the integrity and tradition of the most meaningful regular season in sports. As a result, the Heisman has always been a regular season award.
For the last two weeks we've heard "if they send their ballot in before the last week they should have their vote pulled." But, if the SECCG isn't a part of the regular season, and the award is for the regular season, what difference does it make if they sent in a ballot on the 30th of November versus the 3rd of December?

If it's "post-season," what difference does that one game make?
Just another one of those confusing things about how this award is awarded—as confusing as the integrity component.

Top Bottom