NEWS The Heisman Trophy - 2018: News and notes for the December 8th announcement.

The three finalists for the 2018 Heisman Trophy are set. They’ll be heading to New York on Friday to take part in all the festivities surrounding the announcement of the 84th annual award.

Here are a few items of note about Heisman finalist lore for all you trophy aficionados out there:

— There have now been 155 players invited to New York as Heisman finalists since the practice was first instituted in 1982.

— The first Heisman finalists were Herschel Walker, John Elway and Eric Dickerson.

–There have been three finalists invited 11 times, four finalists 10 times, five finalists 12 times, six finalists twice and eight finalists once (in 1989). No more than six finalists (in 1994 and 2013) have ever attended the ceremony.

— This is the fourth time in the last five years that just three finalists were invited to New York.

Dwayne Haskins is Ohio State’s fifth Heisman finalist, joining Keith Byars (’84), Eddie George (’95), Orlando Pace (’96) and Troy Smith (’06).

Kyler Murray is Oklahoma’s record-setting 10th Heisman finalist, joining Brian Bosworth (’86), Josh Heupel (’00), Jason White (’03, ’04), Adrian Petersen (’04), Sam Bradford(’08), Baker Mayfield (’16, ’17) and Dede Westbrook (’16).

Tua Tagovailoa is Alabama’s eighth finalist, joining David Palmer (’93), Jay Barker (’94), Mark Ingram(’09), Trent Richardson (’11), AJ McCarron (’13), Amari Cooper (’14), Derrick Henry (’15).

The complete list of Heisman finalists:

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
HARRY'S
Murray has already won it, by what I have been reading! Tua still hasn't had a Heisman moment either! Won all his game, hurt in the SEC Championship game and that is being held against him! The bad thing about Tua he would had play all his game prefect and we all know he didn't.

Murray has already won it, by what I have been reading! Tua still hasn't had a Heisman moment either! Won all his game, hurt in the SEC Championship game and that is being held against him! The bad thing about Tua he would had play all his game prefect and we all know he didn't.
Not sure where you are getting your info from, but I’m willing to bet on Tua ;)

I think it comes down to if they look at Tua’s numbers extrapolated out over a full game...

Who knows, I don’t think it really matters anyway. The Heisman ain’t what it once was...

bamaledge

Vigilate, et audax
HARRY'S
Not sure where you are getting your info from, but I’m willing to bet on Tua ;)

I think it comes down to if they look at Tua’s numbers extrapolated out over a full game...

Who knows, I don’t think it really matters anyway. The Heisman ain’t what it once was...
Yes, it went downhill from scam. Manzel and Winston.

bamatommy

Verified Member
Tua played against MUCH tougher defenses than Tyler Murray. Are there ANY teams in his conference that have a good defense? How many can compare to Bama, LSU, Mississippi State, etc?

Actually OSU has had 6 finalists and 3 winners. The only person to win the Heisman twice, Archie Griffin is not on that list of previous finalist/winners.

sk33tr

el jefe
HARRY'S
:rolleyes:

there's that term again

the Heisman isn't based on a moment.....it's based on a season. all 3 of the guy invited to NY deserve to win it. call me biased (i'll gladly wear that title), but i do think Tua has had a better season. him not playing in the 4th quarter until the 10th(?) game or so isn't his fault. when your starter is that good and gets you way ahead like he did, there's no need to play him. i've read where Murray had to play most of his games completely due to OK not having the game in hand until very late in the 4th quarter. to me, that's not dominating your opponent. what Tua did in those first 9(?) games was dominate...period.

and about him getting injured and having to come out in the SECCG? he first got hurt VERY early in the game (like the 2nd play or something like that) but remained in the game. was it his decision or Coach Saban's? we may never know. but a player, a leader, doesn't come out when they get hurt. they play through the pain and still lead their team. and yes, he did lead the team, even when they were behind. he was a leader by example by playing through that pain until he got injured more severely and absolutely couldn't go back in.

Tua's "moment"?.....his whole season!

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
HARRY'S
To me, the Heisman lost all credibility with $cam, Manziel, and then Crablegs Winston.
With that said, I still believe that Tua should be the winner based on his body of work over the ENTIRE season and not for 1 game. Murray is super talented but he plays in a trash conference where it has a closer resemblance to flag football for 7-8 year olds rather than D1 college football.

TerryP

ADMINISTRATION
Actually OSU has had 6 finalists and 3 winners. The only person to win the Heisman twice, Archie Griffin is not on that list of previous finalist/winners.
They only go back to '82 there. He won in the mid-70's.

Did they handle the trophy presentation the same way back then as they do now? IE: Inviting the finalist to the Athletic Club? Or, was there just one person awarded the trophy and we didn't hear of the others? I don't remember.

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
HARRY'S
@94 Grad , @sk33tr , @bamaledge I read this in a newspaper at a grocery store, it reads "Murray leads now!" @TerryP it said that in '82 was when these players were invited. Before it was a banquet at the club. Walker, Elway, Dickerson, were the first ones invited. Elway didn't go. Also, it was done around Thanksgiving weekend, latterly it was changed till after the end of the regular season.

Top Bottom