| OT The greatest moment in American sports history. 41 year anniversary. Team. Belief. Follow through.

tider79

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Remember like it was yesterday,,,my wife and I just got married and followed the whole journey of the hockey team. Neither one of us knew a thing about or even cared about hockey, but soon learned how it was played and enjoyed every minute of it , almost like we were watching the Tide play.

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
I didn't at the time I was sleeping. But I knew the next day, because of a Boston Bruins fan. he stay up all night to watch the whole game. I was station in Germany at the time. The only time I stay up that late was Bama games. 8pm here was 2am they. This wasn't the gold medal game either. Still had to beat Finland for the gold.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
Didnt have to be a hockey fan.....to celebrate this....all Americans on one team...
( kinda anyway)

bama alum

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I was ten. My first real hockey memory! So awesome!

Rolltide24

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
I wasn’t watching TV yet. But I have heard the call of the final seconds 1,000 times. Pretty cool event. No pun intended...

Elderfalsedemigod

Not an alter...maybe an altar
Century Club
Reaction score
Sorry. I was 13 and did not give a tinkers damn for hockey and still don’t. I remember the news stories etc afterward but not going to lie it was basically a nonevent for me at the time. Thru the eyes of history I do now see the significance but I haven’t watched the movie. 😬

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
I was attending Birmingham Bulls games during and the few years before this, so I had just enough exposure to hockey to appreciate it somewhat as a teen. The old Bulls were a fun bunch, they had a couple of pretty good enforcers and had set the league record for penalty minutes if I recall. Serge Boudeau (probably mangled both spellings) was one of the tough guys.

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I was 9 and watching with my parents. That moment hooked me as an Olympic Games fan to this day!! A lot of people think that this game was the Gold medal game, but it wasn’t. The gold was clinched against Finland 2 nights later.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
The ABC channel in Huntsville had their "teaser" for the late night news and announced the winner of the game. Like you, I was watching it tape delayed and their news break came in the second period.

Probably a life lesson to be found here. I remember being pissed off at that channel; happy to know they won but good gawd I was mad.

Secondand26

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Serge Beaudoin & Gilles Bilodeau (had to look up the spelling) - the 2 enforcers. I still have a puck with the Bulls logo & a chinstrap from Dick Troyer, an offensive lineman from the Birmingham Americans in 1974. I guess I had a habit of supporting failed professional leagues!

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
That would be about every league ever in Bham. Plus, there's the Shreveport kiss of death. I don't think any league with a Shreveport team has ever survived.

Once I got the spelling correct, just looked him up. He was cut after assaulting a ref. That seems an appropriate end to his career.

Last edited:

Top Bottom