| FTBL The Good, The Bad and The Ugly vs. UGA

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
🤷‍♂️

It's about like people insisting on talking about Ole Miss when Bama was about to play the #3 team in the nation. Perspectives can be so different.

One thing is for certain. There's a group that couldn't play QB, or CB, or PK because they simply don't have the mindset to do so.

Or golf.

Elderfalsedemigod

Not an alter...maybe an altar
Century Club
Reaction score
I admit to bitching some but I try to keep my comments in the framework of what is currently happening good or bad. I did have a mini stroke when C Harris was left to cover #4 deep down the sidelines. 😂

Also this is the first year I have consistently participated in game thread. There are definitely some folks that are all doom and gloom

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Yeah, Harris should never had been on Cook. Coaches should have stuck a corner on him and let Harris take the slot knowing it would be more of a small zone coverage compared to potential deep pass. They weren't going to split Cook out wide and him run a square in or button hook. Not many on our team could cover a 4.4-4.5 guy, muchless a 6'3-230 pound linebacker.

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Good- Mac and the Rydeouts Part 2 just keep motoring along! Najee grinding up yards on the ground and that OL!!! A LOT of guys on that side of the ball earned some 💰last night!
Bad- First half D issues. Harris on Cook? WTH? If I’m correct, that kid had 4 catches for 104 yards in the first half. Saban mentioned #4 at the half. He finished the night with those 4 catches!!
Ugly- Punting from our side of the 50! Just not very good! Kickoffs either need to be in the damn end zone or kicked with enough height to cause a fair catch! Giving the opponent the ball with only 62-65 yards to go each possession is giving too many chances for points. That difference in yardage due to a fair catch often means a turnover or forcing a punt.

Elderfalsedemigod

Not an alter...maybe an altar
Century Club
Reaction score
Gotta say the low driving kickoffs to the 7 yard line are killing UA kickoff team. KR catches it already moving forward or at least leaning that way. 25 yards is a given and 1 move gets him to the 40

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Good: The offense. Those boys are running like a fine tuned machine. I have never felt as confident about anything football related in my life as I am when the ball is in the air and knowing our guys are gonna catch it. Najee Harris running the ball like a tough bad a! It was great watching him wear their defense down like we used to. The offensive line was amazing. Hiccup on the first play, but Mac was never in danger, even though he took a couple shots, but they did terrific. Second half defense won the game.

Bad: First half defense just looked terrible. Folks giving Georgia's quarterback crap, but he tore up our defense in the first half. I saw zero pressure, we blitz a few times from what I remember and it made no difference. I blame a lot of coaching, but the defense has to use their instincts as well and make some plays so we aren't in a position where our offense has to score on 100% of possessions. Our kickoff kicker sucks, as does our punter. Probably being dramatic here, but I feel Georgia started at their 40 yard line every possession. We lost so many valuable yards by kicking out of bounds and kicking it to the five yardline every time.

Ugly: the stands. No ones fault really, but this game deserved 100,000 fans and all of the bells and whistles that come with a Top 3 matchup. On the top of the stadium it even looked dark. Also the media coverage on Saban and once he got to coach. Just pathetic bullcrap. Clearly there are motives for everyone at this point with this virus, and 99% of them aren't the benefit and welfare of the players. I'm over it all at this point and don't plan to give a damn about anyone else because clearly not many out there care about it outside of political and personal notoriety.

Reaction score
New user here. But on to the topic

The good: O line, Mac Jones, the incredible receiving Corp, najee, defense getting turnovers(finally), field goal game. Mac was impressively accurate once again, particularly on "50/50" balls. He was so crisp on those. Hitting waddle in stride as he made the defender fall down was a thing of beauty. O-line giving just enough protection for mac to make those throws-- he did get hopped good a couple times afterward, but he was able to get it done, so good work from.the O-line here. Also Reichard making a 52 yard field goal to get a little momentum back as the half expired was huge. How many expected it to be good? I sure didnt. But it was, so gj Reichard. Najee with another solid outing toting the rock was a big plus to. That long 6 minute drive with him pounding the ball over and over reminded me of classic bama football, squeezing hope from the opponent.

The bad: 1st half defense. There was hardly any pressure on Stetson, and receivers were continually left uncovered. This led to some big plays, and the coverage on the 82 yard TD pass was just abysmal. Guy was beat from the get go and just kept out of desperation to tip the ball, of course he missed and few seconds later it was 14-7 UGA.

The ugly: Punt and kickoffs were terrible. Couple times got a kickoff out of bounds which gave uga good field position, and the poor punting for both lack of hang time and distance was just yuck. Technically a couple were put inside the 15, but you'd hope with good punting, you could have got your coverage team a chance to down down the ball at the 5 or better.

Also ugly was the dumb offsides penalty that basically happened twice. Barmore I think it was who jumped not once, but twice. First time got away with it because of no snap and not touching someone. Second time, fell for the same thing and that time it got called and UGA turned it into a TD. That was a cost of 4 points.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I was confused to why he stopped seeing as no one was underneath and he didn't run with the deep guy.
I know he had underneath, but there was no one there. Clearly man to man coverage,so not really sure what the call/deal was.

NickelDoubleDog

Sideline Club
Reaction score

You actually see this happen a fair amount when a team motions a RB wide - outside all the WRs to one side of the formation.

If you are playing man, you see the LB go all way outside to cover man to man. It's a tough matchup. It's the matchup Bama exploited play 1 vs Florida in 2014 on a long TD to Drake.

The other thing you can do if you are in man is slide a CB out to the WR, but then you're left with a LB on a WR in the middle of the field in man to man. And for DCs, this is a worse option.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I agree with you on that. As a defensive coordinator you have to know that the running back is going to take advantage by using his speed to go deep. One would think we would slide the corner out, and take our lumps with a second or third read over the middle. Yes, a bad matchup, but I'd take a short dump over the middle rather than a potential game changing deep pass for six. Atleast if it's over the middle the linebacker has help with a receiver once the other guys see where the ball is, and if we can get pressure that second or third read may never get a pass off. Who knows, but I still felt that was a matchup we need to work on in the future. Especially with a team like Georgia that really only has one proven target in Pickens, although Burton played better.

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
I think it was in the post game show Saban said they should have put a Safety on him. My impression is the D executed what was called but obviously it was a mistake and needed to be adjusted. At half time interview he even said they needed to make some changes to cover #4. Obviously it worked.

Top Bottom