| FTBL The Good, The Bad and The Ugly vs OM?

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
i dont mind losing....it happens ( i do hate it actually)
I dont even mind giving up some points...late in a game...

i hate seeing a bama putting on an embarrassing performance....
It wasn’t the points...it was the play...the execution...the poor tackling...the outta position....to a FAR inferior team... FAR inferior

Golding may be a great recruiter....but................

XXL TideFan

Don't go there
Bama Club
Reaction score
Good - Offense is a powerhouse, Mac is as good as any QB in the country
Bad - Defensive PERFORMANCE (talent is there)
Ugly - Pete Golding ( not ready for this big of a stage)

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Good - Mac and the offense. 87% completion is unbelievable. Najee ran very hard, as did Brian Robinson. Our passing game is the closest thing to a sure thing I have ever seen. I seriously don't see us ever punting with the passing game we have. I cannot see a team stopping us for three straight downs if we threw the ball. Our kicker appears to boot the ball well. His extra points get high and with how high they go through the uprights it appears he has big time distance abilities.

Bad - Tackling. It was just poor. Ole Miss players fell forward about every play. We missed so many tackles at the line of scrimmage that this game shouldn't have been close.

Ugly - Overall defensive performance. Ole Miss ran left so many times I could see it coming, and I shouldn't be able to see things like this before the coaches have made adjustments. Our linebackers looked lost. No clue why we allowed another tight end to scorch us. Texas A&M's guy had a big day and now Ole Miss' guys has. We gonna let Georgia's 6'7 Darnell Washington eat us alive?

No one is perfect and with shortened practice time it is clearly showing, BUT, with the seniors and returning players we have we should not be having break downs in coverage. Our offense will mask some defensive issues, but boy it's a fall from grace. We have the top front seven recruits in the country, along with Clemson, and they aren't struggling like we have (strength of opponents is an issue possibly). We line up better with a Georgia team that is pretty straightforward offense, but Ole Miss and Auburn are in the same category with their trickery and anything goes approach, so we better man up.

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
Good:
-Mac was the maestro. He was so on point and efficient all night
-The Law Firm - 3 Talented cats (Smith Harris & Waddle)
-Special teams! Any missed XP would have been a disaster last night. Mechie made a great play on the late Onside kick.

Bad:
-Can't really go point by point because there are so many issues, but obviously the D. I'll put it this way - You know there is something seriously wrong when you watch an entire game and can't think of 1 single moment where someone just stepped up and made a play. A group of 4/5 star guys that literally could not just make something happen. It is occurring to me that the "system" is seriously flawed.... I understand the idea of "staying disciplined", "gap control", and "doing your job", but that isn't happening. But even more scary is that despite that not happening, no one is making plays. So you have 4/5 star guys who aren't doing their jobs and aren't making plays. At that point, can there be a worse "system"? Twice I saw a ball being run at DB's and they were running away from the ball carrier... It's shocking. Like you can't even trust your eyes enough to know the ball is being run at you? It's crazy.

It's hard to be impressed with Golding, but he and CNS obviously aren't teaching some of these things to happen. So there is an onus on the players as well. There are a couple of issues with personnel that needs to be addressed, but even those positions won't get fixed over night. For instance the #3/#29 thing... #29 gets subbed for #3 (for obvious reasons), and just when you think it can't get any worse, he gets burned over the top in a prevent defense situation (inexplicably) and it leads to Battle now being suspended for the first half of the Georgia game. I don't like the idea of just trashing players, so I'll just say there are just huge mental mistakes happening again and again between the DB's and LB's that would lead someone to believe they either aren't being coached well enough, don't fear accountability, or don't have the mental/physical capability to get it execute. Does anyone really believe they don't have the mental and physical tools?! Of course not. These are highly sought after dudes that big time programs recruited. So it's just shocking to see how poorly they're executing.

Discounting the last drive when the game was no longer in doubt, I don't think we had a single sack. No INT's and no forced fumbles. So we're looking at a D that isn't being "disciplined" and isn't making plays. No other way to see it then a legitimate misusage of talent. These dudes are both paralyzed in the thought of digesting their responsibilities and flat out slow to react. And beyond reacting, how about putting pressure on the 'O' to react? When is the last time you felt the D dictating the situation? It's all reacting, and slow reacting. The missed tackles are an obvious issue that I cannot put fully on the coaching staff, because when the rubber meets the road a guy just has to get the ball carrier to the ground. So plenty of issues to clean up both on the coaching and player side... But way too much talent out there to look that paralyzed and reactionary. And on that note, maybe it's time to legitimately sub the 2's for a possession or 2 each half to allow the 1's to have some juice in the 4th quarter... At what point is an adjustment necessary? Feels like we're seeing it.

Ugly:
I'm a coaching fanatic... Regardless of sport, positions, years, etc., I just enjoy the art of coaching. I love evaluating it in a semi objective manner as well. And I have to say, my ugly is how CNS is losing hunger/edge/ferociousness. The fact that he actually mentioned to the media that Kiffin may have had their signals is a clear sign of this... NO ONE CARES. THEY ARE YOUR SIGNS. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THEM. Keep it to yourself and clean it up. You're literally admitting that either someone coached circles around you or got the drop on you... Either way, it's not good. It's hard to argue that we see the same fire from him as we did a handful of years ago... I know, he's adjusting with the times and some of his tirades and antics wouldn't be politically correct anymore... But in general, I'm just not seeing the same killer instinct towards his own coaches and players that we were accustomed to seeing back in the day. Look - He's the best to ever do it... And literally the icon of college football.. But to act like he is walking around with the same edge as we once would not be truthful.. At least publicly he's not. Hopefully he is behind the scenes. But at the same time, I really believe he's going to clean it up. Whether that's staff changes or adjustments himself, he's a literal coaching genius. I believe he will find a way, again!

Last edited:

Crimson&WhiteGecko

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
Good - Wow... the Offense is really something special. Much like LSU's from last year. Mac seems unflappable.

Bad- Our defense was exploited all night long & there is absolutely NO reason to NOT substitute when Ole Miss substitutes. Kirby has this down to a science & Pruitt adopted it but we don't substitute on defense like we should.

Ugly - Our best plays on defense were botched snaps by Ole Miss... Think about that...

tider79

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Good: Every extra point dead center! Bad: Defensive prep and execusion.. 4 and 5 stars all over the field but looked like a high school defense out there Ugly: 650 yards against a program that year in and year out prides itself on defense

Bama Guy

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Good - Mac has ice water in his veins and can read a defense.
Bad - Defense
Ugly - Defense didn't just have a bad game, they were totally lost most of the time.

alabama mike

Probably At A Ballgame
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Good- offense firing on all 8 cylinders!
Bad- defensive coverage
Ugly- poor tackling angles and grabbing

Top Bottom