| FTBL The Good, The Bad and The Ugly vs. Jimbo and The Aggies

Tidestalker

Crimson Tide Club
The thing is, though, as bad as it was it felt self inflicted. You're averaging like six yards per carry, the ball at like the 2 and you throw three straight passes? Several other third-and-short situations we passed out of too. It was like Young's fumble on that first one in the first quarter made BOB gun shy, which cannot happen. At the very least on that goal line situation you just pound it four straight times and say "stop it if you can." I would have felt better about that than three straight passes and a FG, honestly.
Completely agree.

I noted earlier that I'm shocked at the lack of creativity in the run game... At least last night. Is the pistol no longer an option? Is it that hard to teach a guy how to get under center? Kind of a travesty to not have more in the toolbox at this point in the season.

64Tide

Registered
What is more likely to happen, T A&M reverting back to their previous performances or UA playing like their previous performances? This was a trap game for us after facing Ole Miss and I believe we will get better but still get another L.

Kirk Van de Graaff

Gravity Checker
Scholarship Club
Good- Robinson, Williams, and I am still ALL ALABAMA. Losses will put things in perspective.

Bad- Moore's Targeting call. His actions cost us our anchor in the backfield. Hope he understands that now.

Ugly- Both sides of the line, offensive play calling in red zone, particularly the 4 yard line. Defensive scheme on TEs and to the middle of the field passes. they are lost on how to stop it.

Glad to see all the hype with all those Saban's ex coaches that haven't beat him, unranked teams that haven't beat them BS is done.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
T
The ugly: Pete Golding is still employed, despite a mountain of evidence showing he is an awful DC and has completely stripped away Alabama's identity on defense.
Yep.... not just for 21....go back to 19...&...20....
I have caught flack for bitching about D.....
We sure can make some mediocre QBs look incredible

mando

Sideline Club
Pete Golding is still employed
Here is why I stop short of this regardless of the evidence, I trust Saban completely. Can he make mistakes sure but in the end he is the best to do it. When he thinks it will not work any longer he will fix it. Until then I have to believe he sees the issues and has not pulled the plug because he sees a path to resolve or a constraint that we do not know (misses in recruiting or something else maybe).

Davestwin

Sideline Club
Here is why I stop short of this regardless of the evidence, I trust Saban completely. Can he make mistakes sure but in the end he is the best to do it. When he thinks it will not work any longer he will fix it. Until then I have to believe he sees the issues and has not pulled the plug because he sees a path to resolve or a constraint that we do not know (misses in recruiting or something else maybe).
I absolutely know where you’re coming from … though even the GOAT makes a mistake from time to time. Now, there’s certainly more going on than we’re privy to but under PG’s charge, Bama’s defense has become far from elite. I mean how does a Bama defense not record a single sack or QB hurry when facing two freshmen linemen and a backup QB of a 3-2 team? I’m at a complete loss … and as I wrote in another posting, I think a lot of what we’ve seen over the past few years shows that the Jimmies and Joes being vastly more important than the X’s and O’s isn’t really true. Bama has the best J & I’d in college football yet they’re often being outplayed by much lesser revered players time and time again. Of course, if an easy fix was available Saban would have already implemented it.

NickelDoubleDog

Sideline Club
It's going to come down to a calculus of when the tipping point has been reached with the D, where they finally stop making the D have 10 checks on each play, and just play the call.

It could be this week, if they can't stop Miss St. It could be Tennessee, if it gets ugly and they can't match the speed of how fast UT runs plays and they've given up 25+ points.

It's going to happen - let's hope it doesn't require 2 more losses due to defensive ineptitude.

This was the year the D was supposed to allow the offense to grow up given all the new players and new OC. It's not supposed to be putting all the pressure on Bryce to match teams score for score and need 41+ points to win each week.

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club
It's going to come down to a calculus of when the tipping point has been reached with the D, where they finally stop making the D have 10 checks on each play, and just play the call.

It could be this week, if they can't stop Miss St. It could be Tennessee, if it gets ugly and they can't match the speed of how fast UT runs plays and they've given up 25+ points.

It's going to happen - let's hope it doesn't require 2 more losses due to defensive ineptitude.

This was the year the D was supposed to allow the offense to grow up given all the new players and new OC. It's not supposed to be putting all the pressure on Bryce to match teams score for score and need 41+ points to win each week.

We get at each other at times, but lately we are on the same exact page with a lot of this stuff. At some point just let your athletes do what they do best, play football. Wasn't that what Christian Harris was being allowed to do? I don't recall hearing his name more than twice the entire game on Saturday. I'd rather us let our guys be athletes and get beat rather than confuse the crap out of them and make everyone look stupid and inept with continuous audibles.

NickelDoubleDog

Sideline Club
We get at each other at times, but lately we are on the same exact page with a lot of this stuff. At some point just let your athletes do what they do best, play football. Wasn't that what Christian Harris was being allowed to do? I don't recall hearing his name more than twice the entire game on Saturday. I'd rather us let our guys be athletes and get beat rather than confuse the crap out of them and make everyone look stupid and inept with continuous audibles.

It is so frustrating. At the same time the offense evolved into as good or better than anyone in CFB (and last year the best of all time), the D simultaneously took a big step back.

I know the game is different, and the Alabama program is more adept to outscore people now than ever. The offense, while not perfect, is beyond where it was expected to be right now while the OL is worse than we thought, the WR room is worse (thank goodness for Jameson, but need one of the big WRs to get PT). TEs can be great, but were a non-factor last week.

The D has to play like it did vs Ole Miss. And the reasons it did play that way aren't a mystery anymore. The reason they played well vs. Miss St last year aren't a mystery. They have players. They need to think less and just play aggressively.

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club
It is so frustrating. At the same time the offense evolved into as good or better than anyone in CFB (and last year the best of all time), the D simultaneously took a big step back.

I know the game is different, and the Alabama program is more adept to outscore people now than ever. The offense, while not perfect, is beyond where it was expected to be right now while the OL is worse than we thought, the WR room is worse (thank goodness for Jameson, but need one of the big WRs to get PT). TEs can be great, but were a non-factor last week.

The D has to play like it did vs Ole Miss. And the reasons it did play that way aren't a mystery anymore. The reason they played well vs. Miss St last year aren't a mystery. They have players. They need to think less and just play aggressively.

My problem is that any time an Alabama team can put up 38 points, we should never lose. Look how awful we looked, and yet we still scored 31 points on offense. An interception on the two yard line, a boneheaded offensive series of play calling on one drive from the four leading to a field goal, and we still scored 31 points as an offense. We gotta get a little help from the defense. Definitely agree with the trajectory the offense has taken compared to the decline on the defensive side. They are independent of each other, for the most part, but with our roster, we shouldn't see such differences.

We All Bleed Crimson

Football's GREATEST Tradition !
Extra Point Club
Good: Ability to gain the lead in the 4th and overcome a horrendous start. Robinson and Williams.
Bad: Wow! where to start? After stonewalling them for most of the 2nd half, the defense sucked for the last 5 or 6 minutes of the game. (and all the first half)
Ugly: The overall game play and coaching (OC and DC).

We've had these Gaffs on the D side of the ball too many times over the past 3 or so years. Last year we overcame it because of an unstoppable offense. This year we don't have that kind of offense. Can we just not RUN the ball near the goal line?

NickelDoubleDog

Sideline Club
My problem is that any time an Alabama team can put up 38 points, we should never lose. Look how awful we looked, and yet we still scored 31 points on offense. An interception on the two yard line, a boneheaded offensive series of play calling on one drive from the four leading to a field goal, and we still scored 31 points as an offense. We gotta get a little help from the defense. Definitely agree with the trajectory the offense has taken compared to the decline on the defensive side. They are independent of each other, for the most part, but with our roster, we shouldn't see such differences.

When was the last time we were in zone coverage (or Man to man with a robber) and we saw a defender totally read the offense's play, break on the pass, and intercept it? Something Georgia does regularly (they at least get hands on balls and make breaks on the pass).

Guys sit wide open when Bama is in Zone coverage, and get easy completions all day. The defenders cover grass, they never try to defend the player in their zone and contest the catch.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
When was the last time we were in zone coverage (or Man to man with a robber) and we saw a defender totally read the offense's play, break on the pass, and intercept it? Something Georgia does regularly (they at least get hands on balls and make breaks on the pass).

Guys sit wide open when Bama is in Zone coverage, and get easy completions all day. The defenders cover grass, they never try to defend the player in their zone and contest the catch.
Right now...like it or hate it...
UGA is Bama -Pruitt of couple years back

I watched them vs AU..on D ....Dominate...organize...strong across each area...
On O....running plays they run best..QB is game manager....

Bama is better offensively...UGA better on D...and would shut our run game down...make us one dimensional ....

They would run ball down our throat....

....need improvement...through next few weeks...bad

Top Bottom