| FTBL The Coaching Carousel : OU hires Venables / Mario leaves Oregon for Miami

Crtuneman

Sideline Club
I find the Butch Davis situation interesting. Assuming he's not lying, their athletic department must be in really bad shape if they don't have the money for coaches to go out and recruit for two years. It makes me wonder how many other small schools are in the same financial difficulty, and if these institutions will even be able to keep football programs going. With all the money the big conferences throw around it's easy to forget that athletics can be a huge drain on most schools' budgets, and most of the schools in this country are in the red when it comes to athletic budgets. Football is a perfect example of the haves and the have nots.

Justneedme81

Sideline Club
Usually around this time of the year, Saban usually have folks coming down and help "self-scout" the offense or Defense.

Here's example:

Lane Kiffin- Saban: Kiffin visit 'professional development'

Sark-promoted from analyst.
Locksley-Promoted from analyst.

There is nobody on analyst staff that could be promoted to OC/DC right now, so i think saban will look around this season and add analysts because next year once BOB/Golding leave, he has someone on staff ready to take over.

TerryP

Ivory Club
Yes, Pete was co-DC in 2018. But from what I recall, Tosh was calling the defense during the games.
His play calling duties were stripped early on that season. Hell, he'd been in the program for what, four years, before Golding was hired. What had hoped to be an easy transition from position coach to coordinator was everything but. (There were A LOT of questions going into the season if he was up to the task: he wasn't.)

Now that I think about this the Golding/Lupoi story isn't that much different than '07 with Pendry and Applewhite.

NickelDoubleDog

Sideline Club
His play calling duties were stripped early on that season. Hell, he'd been in the program for what, four years, before Golding was hired. What had hoped to be an easy transition from position coach to coordinator was everything but. (There were A LOT of questions going into the season if he was up to the task: he wasn't.)

Now that I think about this the Golding/Lupoi story isn't that much different than '07 with Pendry and Applewhite.

I know the DC play calling duties shifted to Golding, but I don't know at what point. I don't think Golding was Saban's first choice to be the main DC in 2019, but he couldn't get who he wanted.

I think Golding is a smart guy who really knows Xs and Os. I don't think he can communicate it well. And I think he's not a good ILB coach, and would be better coaching DBs. JMO

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
I know the DC play calling duties shifted to Golding, but I don't know at what point. I don't think Golding was Saban's first choice to be the main DC in 2019, but he couldn't get who he wanted.

I think Golding is a smart guy who really knows Xs and Os. I don't think he can communicate it well. And I think he's not a good ILB coach, and would be better coaching DBs. JMO
Well...watching TOs Saturday....at BD....nick is coaching DBs....
He had them in circle around him...

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Jim Mora took the UConn job … football coaching is one of the only jobs you can fail at multiple times and still make multiple millions at best or a half a million at worst. As a person, I really like Mora a lot but he’s not been a consistent winner at any stop. Yet, he’s still worth $1.5 million per year?
With Mora’s years of coaching and multiple HC jobs, $1.5 million is bottom feeder level.

252BAMA

AKA: ALA2262
Touchdown Club
Well...watching TOs Saturday....at BD....nick is coaching DBs....
He had them in circle around him...
Nick is always coaching DBs. My Grandson attended two of the Summer camps and when the coaches would bring Saban over to observe the QB drills he would last one play and he was on the other side of the ball coaching the DBs. It was like, to hell with observing the QBs because I've got someone else to do that and I've got something more important to do.

Last edited:

252BAMA

Touchdown Club
VT firing is a fair example of why Bama has difficulty in scheduling a quality opponent on the next to last weekend of the season if that week is left open for them to schedule an OOC game. Apparently with five wins and the last two games on the road against teams they were unlikely to beat, VT came to the conclusion they weren't going to be Bowl eligible this season and had to make a change.

With that said, imagine an AD with a good Bowl bonus clause in his contract on the phone with Byrne being asked to play Bama that weekend. If I'm that AD, there is no way in hell I'm sending my team to Tuscaloosa, Alabama to play Bama with two weeks left in the season and the possibility that at that time they may need two wins to become Bowl eligible.

252BAMA

Touchdown Club
Fuente has been all but out the door for the last two weeks. Here is an October 30th story.

Virginia Tech reportedly targeting Sonny Dykes if Justin Fuente is fired​

ByBRAD CRAWFORD Oct 30, 9:34 AM

Fox Sports college football insider Bruce Feldman reported Saturday that Virginia Tech could target SMU head coach Sonny Dykes if the the Hokies fire Justin Fuente. Reports point to the end being near for Fuente, whose seat is scorching following last weekend's home loss to Syracuse after the Hokies squandered a nine-point lead late in the fourth quarter.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Nick is always coaching DBs. My Grandson attended two of the Summer camps and when the coaches would bring Saban over to observe the QB drills he would last one play and he was on the other side of the ball coaching the DBs. It was like, to hell with observing the QBs because I've got someone else to do that and I've got something more important to do.
Ut first time i have seen it during commercials.....when at BD

He has been in huddle with whole D but this was having D backfield ar his attention...

Interesting

Davestwin

Sideline Club
With Mora’s years of coaching and multiple HC jobs, $1.5 million is bottom feeder level.
I would love to feed in that pond … I’d be a bottom sucking fool for $1.5 million/year. My point was major college and pro football coaching is a unique profession in how much you can make even if you’re not very successful.

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Ivory Club
I find the Butch Davis situation interesting. Assuming he's not lying, their athletic department must be in really bad shape if they don't have the money for coaches to go out and recruit for two years. It makes me wonder how many other small schools are in the same financial difficulty, and if these institutions will even be able to keep football programs going. With all the money the big conferences throw around it's easy to forget that athletics can be a huge drain on most schools' budgets, and most of the schools in this country are in the red when it comes to athletic budgets. Football is a perfect example of the haves and the have nots.

I had a friend that was once on the Stillman staff. He was talking about this one day, they had no funding for equipment. Said they'd beg UA for any old equipment... told me he'd dumpster dive behind the Mal Moore facility if he had to. As for Butch, didn't a story come out a few weeks back that FIU posted the HC job online and he wasn't even aware of it until asked or some such? That's rough.

Top Bottom