| FTBL The Coaching Carousel : Mason leaving Auburn for Oklahoma State

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club
His ego isn't that big IMO, certainly not as big as some. He supposedly didn't have a real fun time at Tennessee, especially the last year or so of his tenure. He thought he could be successful there, and even though it was a bad fit (mostly because of the toxic that Fulmer brings) that (IMO) was more of an indication of his confidence rather than his ego. Regardless, it didn't end well for him there on and off the field and his reputation has taken a beating (some of it deserved, some of it not). But, the dude lives and breathes football. That's all he cares to do, is be around it and coach it. I think down the road he would like to be a HC again, at the right time and the right place. But he's got to rebuild his reputation now, and there's no better place to do that than back at Alabama (a place he loves and has told people he'd be open to returning to). Saban thinks the world of his abilities as a coach, teacher on the field, recruiter (Saban built him into the recruiter he is), and evaluator. He also brings some intangibles with in-game coaching that are rare. Can it be worked out to bring him back right now? I don't know.... there are obstacles there. But, both sides are aware of the interest, and have been for a while.

I know how much Mack Wilson loved him at Alabama, and if he can build that unity with players, turn them into good men, and keep doing it class after class there really aren't obstacles out there that can't be overcome. I mean, shit, if a coach can come back after rape coverups, assaults, hookers, DUI's, bad attitudes, paying players (now legal) and anything else I may have missed, Pruitt can come back from what happened in Knoxville. I love his intensity, he knows how to coach and have success, he's a guy I want on our staff.

TerryP

Ivory Club
@ terryp, So he’s Texas bound?

As far as Texas, he'd reunite with Banks who will let him color outside the lines with impunity and still play between them (again).

Watch where, and under whom, he lands then get back to the thought.

This is a prime example of a coach recruiting a kid and then ultimately letting him down: as much as a handler, truly a bad influence. And it happened under "our roof." We're watching a story that easily could rival Winston's.

TerryP

Ivory Club
Correct me if I'm wrong, while Banks might be the one to coddle him a little, Sark is the opposite though. Sark doesn't play around when it comes to his behavior....

You're basing this "Sark doesn't play around" on what? He had his receivers "mouthing" at him during practices last season. Billingsley, enabled by Banks, lead to what thoughts about how that'll work?

Pete Kwiatkowski is a coach who'll let his guys "do their thing" more so than follow the head coach's defensive scheme. We saw that in Tuscaloosa. Coach Kool letting his guys "do their own thing within the lines" is different from Banks "letting his guys do what they want on both sides of the lines" ... how?

I don't find it a mere coincidence they're both on the same staff.

BTW, all of this is just another little slice of the staff dysfunction at Texas I've talked about since Sark started there. There's no difference in my view on how he does there: I can't give him more than a 50% chance to succeed and that's seems high.

Justneedme81

Sideline Club
You're basing this "Sark doesn't play around" on what? He had his receivers "mouthing" at him during practices last season. Billingsley, enabled by Banks, lead to what thoughts about how that'll work?

Pete Kwiatkowski is a coach who'll let his guys "do their thing" more so than follow the head coach's defensive scheme. We saw that in Tuscaloosa. Coach Kool letting his guys "do their own thing within the lines" is different from Banks "letting his guys do what they want on both sides of the lines" ... how?

I don't find it a mere coincidence they're both on the same staff.

BTW, all of this is just another little slice of the staff dysfunction at Texas I've talked about since Sark started there. There's no difference in my view on how he does there: I can't give him more than a 50% chance to succeed and that's seems high.
I wasn't aware of that. This make sense.

JoshB

Scholarship Club
Probably the OC that got shit canned from Carolina who was the PGC at LSU in 2019. I can't remember the guy's name, but you heard about him every week in 2019 and the guy wasn't even LSU's OC that year.

Joe Brady. That would be excellent but supposedly he wants to stay in the NFL and he already has offers.

Tidestalker

Crimson Tide Club
I understand your greater point... But don't see that example as supporting evidence.

That group of receivers are rich & successful after being on that Championship team, using that offense, as a hugely successful springboard. Coaches mouthing at players and vice versa isn't necessarily a problem - Confrontation can be positive. The results of that group with that Coach apparently supports that notion.

Top Bottom