| FTBL The Coaching Carousel : Mason leaving Auburn for Oklahoma State

JoshB

Scholarship Club
But if Pruitt becomes available (and it looks like he will) is Saban going to be willing to move on from Golding and/or is Pruitt gonna be okay to going back to "just" a DB coach?

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Ivory Club
But if Pruitt becomes available (and it looks like he will) is Saban going to be willing to move on from Golding and/or is Pruitt gonna be okay to going back to "just" a DB coach?

I don't think Saban wants to move on from Golding. And I'm not saying it is a lock to happen (far from it)... but it's more realistic than most would believe.

BamaMD

Sideline Club
Yeah, it doesn't matter who coaches the corner backs. If we continue to teach them to never turn their heads and locate the ball what's the point other than a play benefitting the opposing team. I would be interested to see how many interceptions versus pass interference calls we have over the past 5 years when our secondary is in man coverage versus a zone coverage. Additionally, if it was man coverage was it a soft coverage or press coverage. I get a feeling this would be a very telling statistic.

rammerjammer

Gump 4ever
Scholarship Club
I am waaaaay on the outside looking in at this point. As much as Saban seems like Golding, but Pruitt seemed to be the better DC. Saban knows this. If he does bring Pruitt back, I could see this being a situation where Saban goes out of his way to help Golding land somewhere and make it look like Golding was taking a better opportunity. ie the NFL or something like that. IDK. Guess we will find out over the next few weeks.

TerryP

Ivory Club
@rammerjammer just as a quick aside before coming back to the thread.

Look back over the season at the defense. We saw two guys get better and better as the season progressed with a lot of responsibility added during the same stretch: To'o To'o and Harris. The safeties developed right along with the ILB's: Kelly did a great job there. We saw a good coaching job on defense this season in spite of all that's happened. (Side note: I'm still disappointed in the defensive line play. Bama still didn't have that interior guy.)

Pruitt's wife loving the idea of coming back to Tuscaloosa is one thing. I know JP loved his time in state as well. But the fit?

There's rumor running that Karl Scott is being targeted to replace JV. (One and done in the league? I don't know enough about his season.) He would be "a fit."

Let's go back to my original question. Would he take a CB only role?

mando

Sideline Club
@rammerjammer just as a quick aside before coming back to the thread.

Look back over the season at the defense. We saw two guys get better and better as the season progressed with a lot of responsibility added during the same stretch: To'o To'o and Harris. The safeties developed right along with the ILB's: Kelly did a great job there. We saw a good coaching job on defense this season in spite of all that's happened. (Side note: I'm still disappointed in the defensive line play. Bama still didn't have that interior guy.)

Pruitt's wife loving the idea of coming back to Tuscaloosa is one thing. I know JP loved his time in state as well. But the fit?

There's rumor running that Karl Scott is being targeted to replace JV. (One and done in the league? I don't know enough about his season.) He would be "a fit."

Let's go back to my original question. Would he take a CB only role?
I have my reservations that he would unless the Vile job has humbled him. Big ego's can be tricky and destructive thing. His qualifications certainly would not be the issue but going form Head Coach to a position coach seems would be hard for his ego to let him do it w/o causing issues.

On your aside points, I thought the D improved significantly and that certainly started with the Safety and ILB positions. To me the DL also improved especially in the rush D. They appeared to improve tremendously from the UF debacle. That showed up in their rushing stats per game in the end. I was pleased with the D performance in the 2nd half of the season except for the last 10 minutes of the NC game when we needed them most.

Brandon Van de Graaff

Ivory Club
I may be wrong here but if he would stick it out I think he could bounce back. Now I did not see anything on the field that tells me that but if CNS can get through to him in these post season conversations he could turn it around. I hope this for the kid because he has a lot of talent.

Saban gets to a point where it isn't worth the time or effort and he's given Jahleel much more time than he does most (out of respect to his dad who is on Team Saban).

As far as Texas, he'd reunite with Banks who will let him color outside the lines with impunity and still play between them (again).

Justneedme81

Sideline Club
Saban gets to a point where it isn't worth the time or effort and he's given Jahleel much more time than he does most (out of respect to his dad who is on Team Saban).

As far as Texas, he'd reunite with Banks who will let him color outside the lines with impunity and still play between them (again).
Correct me if I'm wrong, while Banks might be the one to coddle him a little, Sark is the opposite though. Sark doesn't play around when it comes to his behavior....

Brandon Van de Graaff

Ivory Club
I have my reservations that he would unless the Vile job has humbled him. Big ego's can be tricky and destructive thing. His qualifications certainly would not be the issue but going form Head Coach to a position coach seems would be hard for his ego to let him do it w/o causing issues.

On your aside points, I thought the D improved significantly and that certainly started with the Safety and ILB positions. To me the DL also improved especially in the rush D. They appeared to improve tremendously from the UF debacle. That showed up in their rushing stats per game in the end. I was pleased with the D performance in the 2nd half of the season except for the last 10 minutes of the NC game when we needed them most.

His ego isn't that big IMO, certainly not as big as some. He supposedly didn't have a real fun time at Tennessee, especially the last year or so of his tenure. He thought he could be successful there, and even though it was a bad fit (mostly because of the toxic that Fulmer brings) that (IMO) was more of an indication of his confidence rather than his ego. Regardless, it didn't end well for him there on and off the field and his reputation has taken a beating (some of it deserved, some of it not). But, the dude lives and breathes football. That's all he cares to do, is be around it and coach it. I think down the road he would like to be a HC again, at the right time and the right place. But he's got to rebuild his reputation now, and there's no better place to do that than back at Alabama (a place he loves and has told people he'd be open to returning to). Saban thinks the world of his abilities as a coach, teacher on the field, recruiter (Saban built him into the recruiter he is), and evaluator. He also brings some intangibles with in-game coaching that are rare. Can it be worked out to bring him back right now? I don't know.... there are obstacles there. But, both sides are aware of the interest, and have been for a while.

Brandon Van de Graaff

Ivory Club
Correct me if I'm wrong, while Banks might be the one to coddle him a little, Sark is the opposite though. Sark doesn't play around when it comes to his behavior....

I don't know enough about how Sark is running things there to really say. But I would say Sark is under pressure to win football games... and I'll say, it's not like Billigsley is going to be running around Austin robbing gas stations. It isn't issues like that.

Crimson&WhiteGecko

Century Club
I want him back for sure. If he comes back as a DB coach, that's just fine. I think he'd be all over that for so many reasons.

And I think it would help Golding too & the defense as a whole. We definitely saw improvement on the defense, especially after the Terminator speech but our DB's need to get back to the ball hawks days when we had Pruitt. I'd expect that we'd begin to see more NoTD's next year provided our DE's aren't devouring QB's first.

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club
I may be wrong here but if he would stick it out I think he could bounce back. Now I did not see anything on the field that tells me that but if CNS can get through to him in these post season conversations he could turn it around. I hope this for the kid because he has a lot of talent.

His catch against Auburn on 4th down was HUGE. Of course Bryce set it in his hands, but he definitely has the talent. I would imagine his parents would rather Saban whip him into shape after one more year rather than him chancing it somewhere else. You simply have to look at the odds here. One more year doing it the right way at Alabama, or continue my current way of going about business and chance it elsewhere? Or continue to be the same way I am now and waste my chance at Alabama?

Top Bottom