Alabama's 2019 Spring Football Practice Schedule:

Friday, March 8 -- 3:30 p.m.

Monday, March 18 -- 3:30 p.m.

Wednesday, March 20 -- 3:30 p.m.

Friday, March 22 -- 3:30 p.m.

Saturday, March 23 -- TBD

Tuesday, March 26 -- 3:30 p.m.

Thursday, March 28 -- 3:30 p.m.

**Saturday, March 30 -- (Scrimmage at BDS)

Monday, April 1 -- 3:30 p.m.

Wednesday, April 3 -- 3:30 p.m.

Friday, April 5 -- 3:30 p.m.

**Saturday, April 6 -- (Scrimmage at BDS)

Tuesday, April 9 -- 3:30 p.m.

Thursday, April 11 -- 3:30 p.m.

**Saturday, April 13 -- 1 p.m. (A-day)

bama alum

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
April 13th...Can't win for losing here. Well, one day I'll get to go to an A-Day game.

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the value of having one practice before taking 10 days off for Spring break. However, I'm not going to bring it up to CNS.

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the value of having one practice before taking 10 days off for Spring break.
It's all about April 15th. That's the day spring football evaluations begin.

Given the choice, do you think Saban is going to decide to have another practice and schedule A-day for the 20th versus the 13th? There's five days of evaluations gone and I don't see any way Saban is going to choose keeping assistants at home for practices when they could be on the road evaluating and recruiting.

So, what are we left with for a different schedule? They could decide to start spring camp a week earlier but they're still dealing with spring break and the off-days. More importantly, it's also changing another schedule—the 4th quarter program would end sooner—and we're looking at the impact it might have on the S&C program.

JoseyWalesTheOutlaw

Century Club
Reaction score

Given the choice, do you think Saban is going to decide to have another practice and schedule A-day for the 20th versus the 13th? There's five days of evaluations gone and I don't see any way Saban is going to choose keeping assistants at home for practices when they could be on the road evaluating and recruiting.

So, what are we left with for a different schedule? They could decide to start spring camp a week earlier but they're still dealing with spring break and the off-days. More importantly, it's also changing another schedule—the 4th quarter program would end sooner—and we're looking at the impact it might have on the S&C program.
Captain...……."cause you gonna get your mind right"

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score

There are two weeks where they only have two practices prior to a scrimmage. Move the initial practice to one of those weeks.

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
There are two weeks where they only have two practices prior to a scrimmage. Move the initial practice to one of those weeks.
That would be another side-effect that we don't want.

A decade ago I remember hearing Saban talk about the need for a specific number of "non-practice days" during spring camp. The reason those dates you've mentioned aren't being used as "practice days" is because they're "teaching days"—days spent in the football complex with the coaches but learning as they're being taught what they did right and wrong on "practice days." (I know I'm not telling you anything there, but I included that for a reference for others.)

We'd see a change in dates IF we also saw a change in the date spring evals are done. To allow for the teaching and practice days—not to mention rest, staying on schedule with the 4th quarter program, and being on the road for the first day of spring evals —the only feasible move is an earlier start.

The 4th quarter program started on Feb. 11th this year and concludes on March 7th. First practice is the 8th. The 11th marked the 7th day since NSD.

You're right. It's not ideal. But I see little option left without the effects on things viewed equally as important.

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Puuuuuuuuuuuuumped! RTR!
It's practice. 😈

There certainly are a few position I'm looking forward to seeing how they work out in spring camp: namely the front seven on defense. There's been some great reports coming out of the 4th quarter program in both positions. But, like always, we'll be looking at transition—how does it all translate to the playing field.

You'd probably be glad to hear Davis has had a great off-season program. I know Saban is pleased with the work Baker has put in during his short time here. One thing I find to be very encouraging is hearing how Baker is stressing assignments over Kuligowski's "just go get the ball" instructional style of coaching. (IF it can be called that. 🤷‍♂️ )

One forecast I'm leaning heavily towards is seeing more attention paid to Taulia and Tyson than Mac. And to sum that thought up, "don't count Mac out."

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
It's practice. 😈

There certainly are a few position I'm looking forward to seeing how they work out in spring camp: namely the front seven on defense. There's been some great reports coming out of the 4th quarter program in both positions. But, like always, we'll be looking at transition—how does it all translate to the playing field.

You'd probably be glad to hear Davis has had a great off-season program. I know Saban is pleased with the work Baker has put in during his short time here. One thing I find to be very encouraging is hearing how Baker is stressing assignments over Kuligowski's "just go get the ball" instructional style of coaching. (IF it can be called that. 🤷‍♂️ )

One forecast I'm leaning heavily towards is seeing more attention paid to Taulia and Tyson than Mac. And to sum that thought up, "don't count Mac out."
All sounds good to me. And I agree with Mac... I think he's def next man up.

One thing that may be interesting is that with none of the RB's early enrolled (I think?) - we should get to see and here about Jerome Ford a little. Does he have a chance to play next season? I think we're all hoping Jalen Sanders is the real deal, but maybe Ford is the next Jacobs?

JoseyWalesTheOutlaw

Century Club
Reaction score
It's practice. 😈

Bama is one injury away (#13) from being in a world of shite. I am glad we have Mack as a backup but I don't believe he can lead Bama to wins over the better teams we will play in 2019. I would think Nick will redshirt Tyson or #13's brother in 2019 depending on which of the two can help.

Note....Carson Beck (former Bama commit at QB) committed to Kirby and the Dawgs this past weekend. He stated that UGA was his dream school. Fields leaving didn't help nor did Bama signing 2 QB's (family so to speak) this past cycle.

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
lesTheOutlaw, post: 1278805, member: 21360"]
Note....Carson Beck (former Bama commit at QB) committed to Kirby and the Dawgs this past weekend. He stated that UGA was his dream school. Fields leaving didn't help nor did Bama signing 2 QB's (family so to speak) this past cycle.
[/QUOTE]

We lost Beck, if that's really accurate, the same way we lost Emory Jones. Way too much talent right in front of him. Lia Tagovailoa, and Paul Tyson with Mac still just a sophomore is a pecking order most elite QBs think about, a lot. He has flirted with Florida but their recruiting QB list is also getting long with the Jones boys just added the last 2 recruiting cycles. And Franks still looks like he's improving off a 10-3 team.

If by "dream school" he meant that Georgia has basically the 3rd year Fromm coming back, yes he's at his dream school. I'll stop being cynical when the likes of Mr. Beck go to Athen to compete behind both Fromm and Fields to be at his dream school and the Emory Jones choose to compete at Alabama behind Hurts, Tua and Mac Jones. That's commitment.

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Bama is one injury away (#13) from being in a world of shite. I am glad we have Mack as a backup but I don't believe he can lead Bama to wins over the better teams we will play in 2019. I would think Nick will redshirt Tyson or #13's brother in 2019 depending on which of the two can help.
Perhaps that's better said "I hope Bama isn't one injury away..."

Honestly, answer me this. What have you seen of Mac that leads you to make that assumption? I read your post and considering we're talking about spring ball I immediately thought back to so many pointing out how well he was doing, versus Jalen, in spring camp last year.

Is it a case of so many being wrong about Jalen we have a case of transference and they were wrong about how well Mac was doing in the same practice? 🤷‍♂️

We lost Beck, if that's really accurate, the same way we lost Emory Jones.
That was as much about Dan Enos as it was anything. (It's also of note Brent Key was his secondary recruiter.) In a manner of speaking, sort of like Henry T. to Tennessee.

I saw the reports as soon as they broke. I didn't consider it anymore noteworthy than the saga we witnessed with Gunner Kiel a few years ago. In fact, Beck may be gunning to break his record on the number of schools he can commit to before he has to sign.

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
A couple things... I thought for sure Benton would be the next big thing at MLB coming out of HS. Seemed to have the combo of size and speed that fits today's game. Unfortunately, in the little time he got last year he looked hesitant and slower than I expected. Obviously a small sample size but I'm not near as optimistic.

Hard to believe McMillon is still on the roster it seems like he's going on year 10... But that's a good thing for depth. That being said I really hope Kaho or Moody wins that gig. My money is on Kaho... I no longer give a damn about physicality as a line backer, just be smart, run like a deer, and be a sure tackler. Maybe he can do do that stuff best.

The Lee kid coming in is interesting. Super productive in HS... But he is short and thick. Not sure if that bodes well for covering the spread D's... But SDH was the same out of HS, and that kid was amazingly intelligent so hopefully Lee brings that same dependability.

OLB.... I've become pretty convinced that this is now the most important position in the Bama D. First, have to set the edge against the side to side bull shit run plays we're seeing... And more importantly, absolutely have to get after the QB. Good pass rushers have the ability to make everyone in the secondary look better.... And coming off 0 sacks against Clemson, it's pretty obvious what good QB's can do to even a talented secondary with no pass rush.

We need Jennings to play how he finished 2 seasons ago before the injury. Dominant. Never was able to sustain that level last season. And Hall just needs to get healthy and that should take care of itself... Like SEC DPOY take care of itself... And lastly, a legit rotation with Anoma or Allen or both to keep everyone fresh and healthy is a must. RTR

JoseyWalesTheOutlaw

Century Club
Reaction score
That ILB spot next to #32 is a big question mark for The Kink for 2019. We not only need a great physical player but we need a guy with the smarts like Hamilton. There is a lot of talented guys listed as DL and OLB so hopefully Nick and his new staff can get them up to speed.

TenBears has us at 10-2 with no trophies and no playoff for 2019. You can never trust a guy wearing blue makeup.

Top Bottom