• Guest Holiday graphics can be disabled in your preferences. Happy Holidays!

| FTBL So.... Do Any Players Sit Out the Bowl Game?

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
With all the talk about draft projections... It's a fair question.

This is something Alabama has NEVER had to deal with since I believe Christian McCaffrey started the trend a few years ago, because we've been playing for titles.

Obviously most fans hope to see everyone sacrifice for the greater good, but this year, that may not happen. I'm wondering how Saban would handle this situation in 2019... As he appears to be adjusting (or "softening" as some may see it) to coaching millennials in 2019.

I believe it would be a GREAT sign of the buy in and direction towards next year if everyone plays - Just not sure if that's completely realistic now a days. I guess we'll find out!

RTR

Last edited:

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I have been wondering the same thing, and you hit the nail on the head that we haven't had to deal with it since we have been playing for National Championships. I would like to think we have guys that want to play, but true colors will show and we'll find out just how much they love their school, teammates, and coaches.

Vabama77

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Jesus Christ ...true colors ??? Yeah because these young men haven't given us enough already. Look I hope they all play but frankly I don't blame them if they sit because some of them have life changing money staring them in the face. I want what's best for them and their families. They ve given us plenty.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
Calm down junior. It's simply a statement to the things they say and the things they post on social media. Please save your righteous garbage and blasphemy. I'm glad you're so fulfilled though.

rocknthefreeworld

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
Other than Tua (for obvious reasons) I doubt anyone else sits it out.

Vabama77

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Not a junior man, been here plenty of years. I can spot ungrateful people pretty easily

Elderfalsedemigod

Not an alter...maybe an altar
Century Club
Reaction score
I know I am in the minority but (as CNS has said) the CFB has completely removed any meaning from any of the bowl games.

Why would anyone who is looking at a position in the draft play in a game that many fans don't give .02 about.

Nothing to gain and everything to lose

JMO

Reaction score
I believe Nick was surprised when Harrison and Mack left knowing they wouldn't be called in round 1 or even 2. His plan of return if not a 1st round selection is taking on water. I can't recall the exact year but LSU was killed with many Jr's leaving early under Les. There was a time when being a given a football scholly for a free education was a big deal. Then again I am old. If your MO is "come to Bama and we can get you prepared for the NFL" then you best be prepared for the good and bad of your goal.

BamaBoyJosh

Verified Member
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
I would be surprised if all the junior players that are expected to be first rounders don't sit out. Too many people in their ears saying, "But look what happened to Tua!"

TideatMileHigh

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Bowl games are a relic of an era that has long passed. It was a rarity to even see a 1 versus 2 matchup in the bowl games until the early 90s with the creation of the alliance and bowl coalitions.

That randomness is what made it so entertaining back then, but once the practical linear systems were put in place, it relegated every bowl game that wasn't hosting the national championship game to being a massive consolation prize.

It doesn't help either that the fucking goons who run college football seem to not understand economic principles such as the law of diminishing returns when they complain about bowl attendances sucking yet fail to see the connection between low attendance and there being 40 of these games. Fans don't give two shits about these things anymore.

I think it's possible to salvage the "sanctity of bowl games", but the powers that be would have to get rid of conference tie ins and cut the amount of bowl games to about 10-15 with rankings being the primary qualifier.

Elderfalsedemigod

Not an alter...maybe an altar
Century Club
Reaction score
@TideatMileHigh While I believe those ideas have merit I do not see the money folks giving up the money and reducing the bowl games. The sheer amount of corporate money that changes hands even for the lesser bowls keep folks feeding at the trough

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
All great points. However, I'm not sure the elite juniors and high level seniors would want to play in anything other than the National Championship related games. For obvious reasons.

And the real reason I'm interested in this is because of Saban... How does he deal with it? If he comes out in a negative fashion, he becomes an easy target for negative recruiting & elite players & parents to paint him as a coach who doesn't put the players' best interest first.

In the last handful of years, I can't think of ANY subject that he hasn't been on the players side about. Player safety, players getting stipends, practice reforms... Etc. I expect him to tow that same line... But you never know!

TideatMileHigh

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Absolutely sir. Once the rivers of benjamins start flowing, people can't stop helping themselves. In the meantime, decay starts to engulf the thing that was once great.

I'm a young moron myself, but those of you who watched this game back in the 60s-80s had the pleasure of watching this sport at its peak in my opinion.

Top Bottom