| OT Snow is reeking havoc in the SE. How's things in your neck of the woods?

Elderfalsedemigod

Not an alter...maybe an altar
Century Club
I went to the airport today to pickup a bag that somehow didn't get on the flight Monday. I was there early, a lady that worked there walked past me, I asked her a question about the bag, she kept walking this ignoring and went into a locked room. So I called the number the guy I spoke with the night before for the office she was locked in. she didn't answer, so I called 4-5 more times. Still didn't answer. I then knocked on the locked door, which she didn't answer. Eventually she came out and I inquired about getting my bag that I could see sitting on the floor in that room.

She responde with sir, I'm technically not supposed to help you because I'm here working Alaska desk and you flew American. I looked at her with a puzzled look. She said someone would be there at 9am, it was 6:30am. She finally gave me my bag and reminded me that technically she didn't have to.

I bet she is the HOA president that measures the neighbors grass with a dial micrometer

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Saw this yesterday...

My question... Do people not keep food at home anymore? I know Austin if filled with millennials who have Starbucks for breakfast, kale smoothies for lunch, and enjoy tofu wraps at piano bars every evening... but do they not keep ANY food at the house?

Ha ha. Libs and city folks, man. They love trendy Hotspots and to be seen so they can post about it. Zero clue how to keep a house full of food or even freeze food.

tider79

Sideline Club
Little info --- Here’s a small sample of how many coal plants there are in the world today.
• The EU has 468 plants -- building 27 more for a total of 495
• Turkey has 56 plants -- building 93 more total 149
• South Africa has 79 -- building 24 more total 103
• India has 589 -- building 446 more total 1036
• Philippines has 19 -- building 60 more total 79
• South Korea has 58 -- building 26 more total 84
• Japan has 90 -- building 45 more total 135
• AND CHINA has 2363 -- building 1171 total 3534
Now for a little info on the US primary energy generated -- 8% is Nuclear / 11% come from coal / 32% from gas / 37% from Petroleum ----- 11% come from renewable -- of the this 11% - 2% is geothermal / 9% solar / 22% from hydro-electric / 24% from wind / 4% from bio-mass / 20% from bio-fuel and 20% from wood -------- US really needs to stick with gas, petroleum and coal for several more years !!

ElephantStomp

Verified Member
Bama Club
I'd like to see more solar, more wind, more nuclear and less coal.

Texas being their own grid is their problem.

I can speak from this personally, we started having brownouts. If you had programmable thermostats connected with your power company (which I had), they'd raise your temps during peak times to help cut demand.

I lived in California during major brownouts in the 90s. Texas never got to this level, but suspect it will eventually if they don't plan accordingly.

There is a huge wind farm in Wyoming near Sheridan. Guess where that power ends up... if I remember correctly, Seattle.
There’s a couple of huge wind farms here that’s power goes out of state (Seattle and California someplace), but that’s the state’s choice because they make a decent amount of money off of it.

Wyoming will have to start keeping it by 2024 because the power company that runs some of the largest coal power plants announced they were getting off coal

mando

Sideline Club
You know Dan Rather will assign blame. Of course it is either Trump or global, excuse me, climate change from people using to much petroleum and coal.

PurlJam

Century Club
It's been colder than a brass monkey ball wind chime at the north pole here (Lentzville, between Athens and Rogersville, Alabama). Got down to 9 degrees at the beginning of the week with the high only reaching 18 Tuesday. I couldn't make it in to work Monday or Tuesday and waited to leave late yesterday.... now I wake up this a.m. to this.
20210218_063323.jpg My driveway is out there somewhere. Just started a new job (in Cherokee Alabama..60 miles away), last week and it looks like I'll miss 3 days this week due to the weather. The Shoals area got hammered pretty good.

PurlJam

Century Club
Saw this yesterday...

My question... Do people not keep food at home anymore? I know Austin if filled with millennials who have Starbucks for breakfast, kale smoothies for lunch, and enjoy tofu wraps at piano bars every evening... but do they not keep ANY food at the house?
I got a stash of ol' tried and trusted Vienna sausage (Libby's Chicken Vienna) and crackers, plus I always keep a big bag of charcoal and the freezer stashed with some kind of meat for the grill if we lose power.:)

mando

Sideline Club
It's been colder than a brass monkey ball wind chime at the north pole here (Lentzville, between Athens and Rogersville, Alabama). Got down to 9 degrees at the beginning of the week with the high only reaching 18 Tuesday. I couldn't make it in to work Monday or Tuesday and waited to leave late yesterday.... now I wake up this a.m. to this.
View attachment 16878 My driveway is out there somewhere. Just started a new job (in Cherokee Alabama..60 miles away), last week and it looks like I'll miss 3 days this week due to the weather. The Shoals area got hammered pretty good.
You are not far from me.

planomateo

Ivory Club
View attachment 16878 My driveway is out there somewhere. Just started a new job (in Cherokee Alabama..60 miles away), last week and it looks like I'll miss 3 days this week due to the weather. The Shoals area got hammered pretty good.

Dang, how deep is the snow?

Heck of a week to start a new job 😁

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Ivory Club
I got a stash of ol' tried and trusted Vienna sausage (Libby's Chicken Vienna) and crackers, plus I always keep a big bag of charcoal and the freezer stashed with some kind of meat for the grill if we lose power.:)

I'm the same way with meat. I always keep quite a bit on hand and plenty of charcoal and propane. Pantry almost always has enough rice and pasta for a week+. I will say, I have been without power in the winter for days (ice storm) and in the summer for days (multiple hurricanes), and I much prefer the winter. Easier to keep food cold/frozen, and it's easier to sleep without heat than without AC.

PurlJam

Century Club
I'm the same way with meat. I always keep quite a bit on hand and plenty of charcoal and propane. Pantry almost always has enough rice and pasta for a week+. I will say, I have been without power in the winter for days (ice storm) and in the summer for days (multiple hurricanes), and I much prefer the winter. Easier to keep food cold/frozen, and it's easier to sleep without heat than without AC.
Ditto.... and your beer doesn't get warm. :)

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
As a forester...working ...in forest....away from anything...
Always kept vienna sausages...sardines...cans of tuna...etc. actually liked them..
....just made sure ...cans not left in truck over weekend...lol...

bamafan4ever

Scholarship Club
Renewables are great if done properly ~and~ are reliable. Wind farms are not so reliable and quite frankly, do more harm than good to the ecosystem they are introduced (killing birds, etc.). The French figured out long ago that nuclear was the way to go as it is clean, reliable and not every plant was built like Three Mile Island or Chernobyl.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Renewables are great if done properly ~and~ are reliable. Wind farms are not so reliable and quite frankly, do more harm than good to the ecosystem they are introduced (killing birds, etc.). The French figured out long ago that nuclear was the way to go as it is clean, reliable and not every plant was built like Three Mile Island or Chernobyl.

but waste is hazardous and has 1000 year or so half life...
But... living within just miles of several plants....in Tennessee valley...
Is cheaper...reliable..
All have pluses and minuses....