OT Small academic update from UA Admissions--makes me proud to see the quality of the student base continue to be top notch.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Very impressive. Lady I work with, her daughter scored a 32 and matriculated into Yale as a Freshman. Not saying we're Yale, but the academic standard at Alabama has increased big time since Saban started winning.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
but the academic standard at Alabama has increased big time since Saban started winning.
I'd say since Dr. Witt took over--he was here for roughly four years before the Saban hire.
Guess I should have stated that Saban has encouraged a lot of out of staters to want to be a part of the university due to our winning football program and that also brings higher academic statistics. A lot of folks from New Jersey and texas matriculating when I was on campus. Maybe Texans have always came to Alabama, but it was shocking to me just how many I met personally. The Law School is Top 30, the Engineering School has taken off big time (what sold Da'Shawn Hand), Culverhouse is doing amazing things. We need the Nursing program to take off and then I think we will be even more well rounded.

but the academic standard at Alabama has increased big time since Saban started winning.
I'd say since Dr. Witt took over--he was here for roughly four years before the Saban hire.
Guess I should have stated that Saban has encouraged a lot of out of staters to want to be a part of the university due to our winning football program and that also brings higher academic statistics. A lot of folks from New Jersey and texas matriculating when I was on campus. Maybe Texans have always came to Alabama, but it was shocking to me just how many I met personally. The Law School is Top 30, the Engineering School has taken off big time (what sold Da'Shawn Hand), Culverhouse is doing amazing things. We need the Nursing program to take off and then I think we will be even more well rounded.
As a northerner, it's been fascinating to see an increase in Bama flags around college decision time. In the small town my parents now live in, there were FIVE Bama flags (at different houses) around decision time. I see Bama stuff more and more. I also know that Bama has become more popular as a grad school option for certain programs (I considered it as well). Good stuff!

bamachine

Master Debater
I got a 31 then a 32 on second time, on my ACT back in the late 80's. That and a 3.8 HS GPA was not enough to land a full ride scholarship at Bama, it was enough for JSU, hence where I went for my undergrad. The idea was to go to Bama for a grad degree but life gets in the way.

planomateo

'cause small minds can't see past Uranus...
ADMINISTRATION
HARRY'S
The Valedictorian at our high school is going to Alabama, she was #1 out of ~660. Believe there were 2 in the top 10 in the class going to Alabama.

All universities/colleges are getting harder to get into, they're raising the requirements and going after out of state talent making it harder for locals to get into. Pretty much standard operating procedure from what I can tell.

It's simply a numbers game at this point. Fast forward 3-5 generations and there will be a big problem.

TerryP

Alexa, fetch me my cloak of indifference.
ADMINISTRATION
The Valedictorian at our high school is going to Alabama, she was #1 out of ~660. Believe there were 2 in the top 10 in the class going to Alabama.
I've a friend who lives out in in the southern part of Orange County--huge football fan and of course a Trojan fan. Her daughter is graduating this year and they recently took several visits around SEC country (5 schools I believe.) Anyway, she mention that seven or eight kids from last years graduating class were attending Alabama. Odd to me. You? Eight, from Orange County, of all places, Bama Bound.

planomateo

ADMINISTRATION
HARRY'S
Very odd, a degree from a California school makes more sense if you're on the west coast. Thinking purely networking...

BamaFan334

Verified Member
I've a friend who lives out in in the southern part of Orange County--huge football fan and of course a Trojan fan. Her daughter is graduating this year and they recently took several visits around SEC country (5 schools I believe.) Anyway, she mention that seven or eight kids from last years graduating class were attending Alabama. Odd to me. You? Eight, from Orange County, of all places, Bama Bound.
The Blake Barnett affect. Ha ha, joking.

TerryP

ADMINISTRATION
Thinking purely networking...
In her daughters case it's purely wanting to attend a school in the SEC--football country. Seriously. A USC fan wanting to immerse herself in SEC football.

In the other case? I don't know. I can say that my friend wasn't impressed with the recruiting rep in So Cal but they chose to visit anyway. Interesting stories from her about the different schools they visited. As example, Alabama was the only school that didn't ask the kids taking tours where they were from. Another was the other schools took the kids on tours of the stadiums: Bama's started at BDS but didn't go inside.

They visited UGA, UF, AU, UA, and UM.

planomateo

ADMINISTRATION
HARRY'S
Well, USC isn't in the nicest of areas. UCLA is, but the demographics may surprise some.

They like football out there, but in a different way.

TerryP

ADMINISTRATION
Well, USC isn't in the nicest of areas. UCLA is, but the demographics may surprise some.

They like football out there, but in a different way.
She is family from what we'd call "administrative positions within the athletic department." I couldn't venture to guess how long the father has been there...stretching two plus decades I'm guessing--feel pretty good about the guess too.

The daughter is making her choice of school based on SEC football. It's just...cool story, ya know? Told me it's down to UGA and Bama. UGA put on a heck of an impression. She made mention of how her daughter liked the campus and I could resist but tell her wait until you see how trashed it is on gameday. (I'm still disgusted about the way they are.) UF was "trash." Auburn was "Auburn." Ole Miss she described as weird...want to say cultish but I'll have to pull up the email to check.

There's some athleticism there but I don't know how far she's thinking of pursuing it in college.