Trending Since we're talking about who takes Phil Savage's place on the radio broadcast, who actually listens to the radio as their source for Bama football?

alagator

Verified Member
I can only think of one person, @rick4bama , because he doesn't have cable. Do people still sync the broadcast?

I don't. In fact, I have to really think about the last time I listened to a Bama game and I'd have to say it's back in the pay-per-view days. Even then, several of those I just didn't pay attention to due to the opponent. To me, it wasn't worth 30 bucks. (That was my first exposure to Tyler Watts in the booth.)

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
HARRY'S
@alagator, When I did have cable. The games that Bama had to had at lest one pay-per-view Tyler Watt was the one doing the game. But we going to need someone to step in without losing a step. I read someone wanted Joe Willie, sorry to me he may be little over the hill.

sk33tr

el jefe
HARRY'S
when i watch the game on tv, i always have the sound on the tv turned down and have the radio on to listen to Eli and the guys. i can't stand the tv announcers, so i listen to the radio broadcast.

bamachine

Master Debater
@alagator, When I did have cable. The games that Bama had to had at lest one pay-per-view Tyler Watt was the one doing the game. But we going to need someone to step in without losing a step. I read someone wanted Joe Willie, sorry to me he may be little over the hill.
Joe kinda slurs his words too much to be an announcer anymore. Even when he tried doing MNF, he had too much of a drawl to keep pace with the actual game.

I only listen to the Bama broadcast when I am forced to travel during games. Too much trouble to try and sync with the broadcast. I like Eli but Bama has yet to find one better than Forney. Maybe part of that is nostalgia, listening to the games in my dad's pickup in the late 70's.

As for the replacement, maybe Chris Stewart will be back to full health by then and I would support him 100% to be the new guy beside Eli. I have heard him and he does not have a speech impairment from his stroke. I think he would be good doing the color commentary. He usually throws a sly joke in every once in a while.

Go to most games...listen to some of game at stadium....but really like to just sit and enjoy.....i can figure most of what’s going on myself...when there is a review...eli will call it as it is...
With xm and dvr can sync game and eli.... radio really describes game more than tv announcers......
Really loved sittting with my dad and listen on radio to games....when they went commercial we would talk about the action.... o I miss that so much...

planomateo

'cause small minds can't see past Uranus...
ADMINISTRATION
HARRY'S
I usually listen to Eli as well. I get my ESPN via DirecTVNOW, so can really sync the two now.

I learned to sync games 10 years back so as long as I'm watching the game the homer broadcast is the best way to go. I love the broadcast choices we are now getting on ESPN during the playoffs.

And getting to review the Georgia radio broadcast in OT, that was truly clownish. How the mighty have fallen.

Elderfalsedemigod

Not an alter...maybe an altar
I listen to Eli if I'm at home during the game and usually don't even sync it with the TV. I'll admit that pisses some people off who watch the games with me.
This is what I do when watching at home (90% of the time nowadays) Anyone visiting my home during an Alabama Football game knows better than to waste my time complaining about anything. Here's food and drink now watch football or don't but leave me alone

I listen to the pre-game, usually as I'm grilling or driving out to my parents house, and the post game. We used to try and sync up the radio broadcast with the TV but it's too difficult with the delay on TV (mainly because of DVR) to get it right. When I go to a game I usually have an ear bud in my ear with Eli, though, even in the press box.

I listen to Eli if I'm at home during the game and usually don't even sync it with the TV. I'll admit that pisses some people off who watch the games with me.
Dude that is AWFUL. There is absolutely nothing worse than hearing about a touchdown or turnover a good 2 seconds before it actually happens on TV. Years ago, back when we still got the whole family together for game days, one of my uncles buddies came by and had his ear bud in listening to Eli and he would give us play by play pretty much, which meant us hearing everything before it happened and it was beyond annoying. To the point where me and my dad left to another room lol

TerryP

I do my own stunts but never intentionally.
ADMINISTRATION
I listen to the pre-game, usually as I'm grilling or driving out to my parents house
There's the thing with me...

How many early kicks do we see now? One per year? So, if I wanted to listen to the pregame it's going to be then--there's football on at any other time.

Then there's the conflict of the live shows in the mornings....between all the channels there's always something that's going to catch my attention (outside of doing things here.)

So, on one hand there's no 'time' to listen to the Alabama pregame. And two, there's really nothing that I'm going to hear I don't already know.

Then again...

What do I know? I liked Verne, I like Gary, even Jesse doesn't get on my nerves. Give me a Saturday night with Beth Mowins calling the action and I've no issue.

I listen to the pre-game, usually as I'm grilling or driving out to my parents house
There's the thing with me...

How many early kicks do we see now? One per year? So, if I wanted to listen to the pregame it's going to be then--there's football on at any other time.

Then there's the conflict of the live shows in the mornings....between all the channels there's always something that's going to catch my attention (outside of doing things here.)

So, on one hand there's no 'time' to listen to the Alabama pregame. And two, there's really nothing that I'm going to hear I don't already know.

Then again...

What do I know? I liked Verne, I like Gary, even Jesse doesn't get on my nerves. Give me a Saturday night with Beth Mowins calling the action and I've no issue.

TerryP

I do my own stunts but never intentionally.
ADMINISTRATION
@sk33tr,

Consider...

People bitched about Verne because he missed names and was slow sometimes. Ever heard anyone accuse her of such?

(She is a REALLY good friend of our softball program. That carries weight on my judgment scales.)