| MBB/WBB Shackelford opts for portal & Primo to stay in draft. [Update: Shack returns!]

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Ivory Club
The question I would have is why isn't Bama recruiting this guy. Wasn't he the kid that was lights out for Oral Roberts in the tournament?

He may have made it clear that he wasn't interested, but Bama did reach out. After his "final 4" was released though, several folks close to the program all came out and said what was posted above. Even Cecil echoed it, and he usually steers clear of that type of thing. That sure seems like Oats wanted that message sent clearly. Likely because Arkansas just lobbed a similar stink bomb at Oats a week ago (for those not aware, UA wasn't recruiting Dunning either).

Also to your question, Oats wants Shack back and I think he is waiting as long as he can on that. He was loyal to Bama and Oats once and in a way, Oats is now being loyal to him.

mando

Sideline Club
He may have made it clear that he wasn't interested, but Bama did reach out. After his "final 4" was released though, several folks close to the program all came out and said what was posted above. Even Cecil echoed it, and he usually steers clear of that type of thing. That sure seems like Oats wanted that message sent clearly. Likely because Arkansas just lobbed a similar stink bomb at Oats a week ago (for those not aware, UA wasn't recruiting Dunning either).

Also to your question, Oats wants Shack back and I think he is waiting as long as he can on that. He was loyal to Bama and Oats once and in a way, Oats is now being loyal to him.
I am just concerned how Shackelfords behavior impacts the chemistry of the team. I guess that is why Oats gets paid the big bucks but I can't help but hear Saban tell kids you shop we shop. My view this is saying if you are going to be part of this program be all in and committed. Granted I do not know all that is going on behind the scenes.

TerryP

Ivory Club
@Brandon Van de Graaff a bigger picture here when you step back and look at these two stories.

We have seen players in football use Bama to create hype/drama when they announce knowing all the time they didn't have a committable offer, sometimes no offer at all. It was all about the drama.

Did you ever think you'd see the day the same thing would be happening with Bama basketball? Are we seeing the beginning of the Bama hat on the table across the board? In basketball?

Brandon Van de Graaff

Ivory Club
I am just concerned how Shackelfords behavior impacts the chemistry of the team. I guess that is why Oats gets paid the big bucks but I can't help but hear Saban tell kids you shop we shop. My view this is saying if you are going to be part of this program be all in and committed. Granted I do not know all that is going on behind the scenes.

As Terry has said, his Dad is driving this (thinking he's doing what is best for his NBA future). It's very similar to what some of the football dads have done in recent years. This isn't a Najee type situation, where the player himself is the one wanting to leave (of course Najee stayed and it worked out for him). I think the team and staff understand the situation well (at least from what's going around), and they know what Shackelford's personal preference is.

mando

Sideline Club
As Terry has said, his Dad is driving this (thinking he's doing what is best for his NBA future). It's very similar to what some of the football dads have done in recent years. This isn't a Najee type situation, where the player himself is the one wanting to leave (of course Najee stayed and it worked out for him). I think the team and staff understand the situation well (at least from what's going around), and they know what Shackelford's personal preference is.
Yeah that was my caveat statement about I do not know what is going on behind the scenes. If they know this is Dad and not Shackelford it could be easier to manage the team chemistry although the team leaders might speak up and say tell old dad he needs to back off :).

BamaFan334

Crimson Tide Club
At what point as a man do you grow a pair and tell your dad to eff off and let you live your life? If he was on drugs and living under a bridge he may need to listen. Yet he's playing Division 1 basketball at a very high level with a team that just made the Sweet 16 under a new coach.

TerryP

Ivory Club
At what point as a man do you grow a pair and tell your dad to eff off and let you live your life? If he was on drugs and living under a bridge he may need to listen. Yet he's playing Division 1 basketball at a very high level with a team that just made the Sweet 16 under a new coach.
If his last name was related to say...Polynesian culture. Same response?

Brandon Van de Graaff

Ivory Club
One thing about these dads that's interesting to me... a lot of these college athletes don't have a dad in their lives. For may of them, those are the ones that have maturity and behavioral issues when they arrive on campus. A lot of the ones who do have a father who is close to them are well behaved and mature, but tend to have the father hovering and making noise whenever they disagree with a decision made by a coach (like playing time). As an example (and alluded to by Terry), several of the previous QB dad's have been that way (not all, like Mac's dad for example). Then again, there are also some dad's who raised their kids right and also stay out of the way and let the coaches coach (for whatever reason, Jonathon Allen and his dad come to mind). But it is a bit of a double edged sword... you're trading one issue for another (father vs. no father). Personally, I think it is much more important to have a strong father in the family who has the kid's best interest at heart, even if it is misguided at times. I'd imagine for some of these dads, they feel as much (or more) pressure as the son does for his kid to succeed. Probably not always easy to sit in the back seat and stay out of it (even if it is often the right thing to do).

BamaFan334

Crimson Tide Club
If his last name was related to say...Polynesian culture. Same response?

Yes. Tua and his family seem sheltered as well. Just like JTT up in Washington as they bit with the Ohio State BS. Not saying these guys don't want what's best for their family, but how can you say you've raised a man if you don't let them make decisions on their own? It's your job to make them men from Day 1 till they turn 18. Guide them, direct them, don't own their lives. I kind of laugh when culture is brought into discussions anymore, because only a handful are accepted by society depending on which day of the week it is and who is pissed off in the media as well, while others are deemed racist, outdated, and just made fun of, yet it's ok to accept certain cultures?

Justneedme81

Sideline Club
Nate may have to play Kool-Aid (depth) come late January. Hopefully Bama can avoid the injury bug this season.
Doubt it.
”It’s going to take a long time,” Alabama coach Nate Oats said when asked about McKinstry possibly playing. “Think of all the time he has missed. But we are glad to have him out there. The guys like him. I like having him around.

"When football conditioning starts, that takes precedence. But he’s great. I shot a game of pool with him after the game. On the court, he learns fast, he’s obviously an extraordinary athlete and maybe he could give us some of that toughness that we need.”

He needs a full offseason and a season before he spends time with basketball. It is unlikely he will see some actions this fall.

Top Bottom