| MBB/WBB 🏀 🏆 SEC Tournament -- Alabama Falls to No. 4 Kentucky

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
When you have Cecil sending tweets making fun of your performance and coaching, not sure how you survive. I guess there may be $8M reasons.

bamanc50

Registered
Reaction score
Happy for the win and a great come back by this team but CAJ needs to go.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Well there we go! Finally turned it on! Hopefully that was enough. I think folks know we are capable, just gotta play two complete halves. Roll Damn Tide.

Century Club
Reaction score
We were 9-18 50% from FT line and got a Ole Miss meltdown and found a way to get a win and I will take it. We live for another game.

BAMAneck

Extra Point Club
Reaction score
🔉Struggle win ..

Got to have two solid half’s tomorrow to give ourselves a chance . I’m hoping for one of those rare games where BAMA puts it all together....

alabamajack

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Reese has pretty much been a non factor this year. Petty shows brief glimpses of being a solid if not clutch player, but at times has all but disappeared during games. Ingram has pretty much taken huge strides but in the wrong direction. Are there any theories on why this has happened?

bamanc50

Registered
Reaction score
Reese has pretty much been a non factor this year. Petty shows brief glimpses of being a solid if not clutch player, but at times has all but disappeared during games. Ingram has pretty much taken huge strides but in the wrong direction. Are there any theories on why this has happened?

Coaching!!! These players know that CAJ is not going to get in their face for making stupid mistakes. ie: turnovers, trying to dribble the ball between 2 defenders, poor shot selection, etc., etc., etc. Even watching the Auburn- Missouri game earlier there was a big difference in how Pearl communicates with his players compared to CAJ. Johnson is too soft and doesn’t demand 100% effort.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Coaching!!! These players know that CAJ is not going to get in their face for making stupid mistakes. ie: turnovers, trying to dribble the ball between 2 defenders, poor shot selection, etc., etc., etc. Even watching the Auburn- Missouri game earlier there was a big difference in how Pearl communicates with his players compared to CAJ. Johnson is too soft and doesn’t demand 100% effort.
While I'm more on the fiery side myself, when have you ever seen Coach K get in a guy's face? Never seen Bill Self or Tom Izzo do it either. Pearl is a hot headed dipshit, so Johnson not acting like him is fine by me. Different styles of coaching. I think a lot of it is the personality of our players. I see zero players like a Collin Sexton or Zion type personality.

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
Sometimes a team wins...sometimes the other team just loses....
Ole MS just played second half like they had this won....and Bama played some better..
Aint beating KY by 15 TOs and poor at charity stripe
@BamaFan334 ...i agree i dont like the hot headed HCs either...except Saban

PurlJam

Century Club
Reaction score
Sometimes a team wins...sometimes the other team just loses....
Ole MS just played second half like they had this won....and Bama played some better..
Aint beating KY by 15 TOs and poor at charity stripe
@BamaFan334 ...i agree i dont like the hot headed HCs either...except Saban
That's a recipe for an anal reconstruction.

UA Press Release

Official News Releases
Ivory Club
Reaction score

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Alabama outscored Ole Miss, 38-19, in the second half of Thursday night's Southeastern Conference Tournament game to advance past the Rebels by a final score of 62-57. With the win, the 10th-seeded Crimson Tide advances to the SEC Tournament quarterfinals for fourth consecutive season where it will take on No. 2 seed Kentucky on Friday night.

"I'm proud of the way our team fought back, especially in the second half, playing against a well-coached team," Alabama head coach Avery Johnson said. "I wanted to again congratulate Ole Miss. But my guys, the second half, I just asked them to turn the ball over five times or less. We were just throwing the ball all over Nashville today in the first half. But they responded. We made a couple of adjustments in the second half. We inserted Tevin (Mack) back into the lineup and he responded. We went bigger tonight inside and that paid dividends for us. This team, when their backs are against the wall, they seem to respond in a positive way. We're fortunate to get this win tonight."

Junior Tevin Mack led all scorers in the game with 21 points, while senior Donta Hall finished with a game-best 15 rebounds to go along with seven points. Freshman Kira Lewis Jr. added 13 points and a career-best four steals, while sophomore Galin Smith, making the start in the post, finished with career-best numbers of 11 points and seven rebounds in 29 minutes of action. Graduate senior Riley Norris added nine rebounds, eight of which came on the defensive end, and a career-high five assists for the Tide.

The game featured four ties and eight lead changes, all lead changes but one came in the second half.

As a team, Alabama dominated the boards, outrebounding the Rebels, 50-30, including a 17-6 edge in offensive rebounds resulting in a 23-2 lead on second chance points. The Tide's bench also provided a spark of energy, outscoring the Ole Miss reserves, 29-12.

In the second half, Alabama shot 41.9 percent from the field, including 50 percent from 3-point range, which helped erase a 14-point halftime disadvantage and a 16-point deficit early in the second half. Trailing by 12, 43-31, with 17:11 remaining in the contest, the Crimson Tide went on a big 13-0 run over the next 3:57 to take its first lead of the game, 44-43, with 13:14 left to play.

Ole Miss and Alabama would trade baskets over the next few minutes until a jumper by Breein Tyree gave the Rebels a 56-53 lead with 4:11 left in the half. However, UA would outscore Ole Miss 9-1 the rest of the way to result in the final score.

With 1:34 to go and the Tide trailing by two points, Lewis Jr. drove in the lane for a layup to even the score at 57-57. Sophomore John Petty Jr.'s only basket of the night came at the most crucial part of the game with a dunk to take back the lead with exactly a minute to go. Smith would come up with a pair of huge defensive rebounds on the Rebels' final two possessions, leaving Ole Miss without a field goal down the stretch.

With the win, Johnson improves to 6-3 in SEC Tournament contests and four consecutive quarterfinal appearances, marking the first time Alabama has achieved that feat since doing so from 2010-13.

Next up, the Tide will face the No. 2 seed Kentucky Wildcats in Friday's quarterfinals. The game is set to tip at 6 p.m. CT in Bridgestone Arena and will air on the SEC Network.

For all the latest information on the team, follow AlabamaMBB on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. General athletic news can be found at UA_Athletics on Twitter and Instagram and Alabama Athletics on Facebook.

bamanc50

Registered
Reaction score
While I'm more on the fiery side myself, when have you ever seen Coach K get in a guy's face? Never seen Bill Self or Tom Izzo do it either. Pearl is a hot headed dipshit, so Johnson not acting like him is fine by me. Different styles of coaching. I think a lot of it is the personality of our players. I see zero players like a Collin Sexton or Zion type personality.
It was just a theory. However Coach K, Izzo, and Self have winning track records as college coaches. Also these 3 demanded respect from their players early in their careers. Today after years they have earned that respect.

Century Club
Reaction score
KY is a 13 pt favorite and BPI gives them 88% chance to win.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
That Florida-LSU was a gem. I really enjoyed that game. Clutch shot after clutch shot on both sides.

Top Bottom