| FTBL Say what you will about Lincoln Riley as a coach. One thing that's a definite and it has to do with brisket.

Sgt. Lincoln Osiris

Lead farmer
Crimson Tide Club
Oof.

I take it this is his first attempt at brisket.

I've never tried to smoke it before. I've only done ribs, butts, chicken, and turkey. Enough people loved my bbq that they thought it was an outstanding idea to startup a food truck a few years ago. So, I've grown an affinity for smoking meat. And from what I've learned (although I've never actually smoked brisket before), is that brisket is the most finicky when it comes to patience, because it's the most dense of any of the meats I've successfully smoked before.

So SUPER slow and low is the absolute key here.

Looks like he either accidentally let his smoke fire get too hot and it rendered out the fat too quickly, or he decided last minute to try a brisket way too late and decided he could smoke it hotter and faster. In EITHER case, he let it get too hot so the fat cooked out too quickly, drying it out.

He still could've possibly gotten away with halfway decent brisket at a higher/faster method, had he compensated time correctly and wrapped it sooner. But I'm sure he didn't.

Odds are the bark started prematurely forming because of a hotter fire, so he wrapped it too late after most of the fat had dripped out.

I've been under a time crunch before and was able to pull of some pretty dang good pulled pork with a hotter/faster method at around 300-350 degrees. But, I had to keep an close eye on it and wrap it as SOON as I saw bark starting to carmelize on the edges. Turned out well, but I had to constantly babysit it. Slow and low is the way to go.

And ole "Linc" here crashed and burned.

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Ivory Club
If he enjoyed it, that's really all that matters I guess. It's like my in-laws cooking prime NY Strips well done. It just about brings me to tears, but it ain't my steak. But as mentioned, brisket ain't easy for someone who isn't used to dealing with them, especially if you don't have the right setup to handle it. I was forced to do one on a gas grill about 5 years ago at someone else's house. It actually turned out much better than I expected, but I felt like I was on one of those Food Network shows where they set you up to fail by giving you a whole salmon, a rusted out oil barrel, and some banana leaves, and make you cook it in 30 minutes for Gordon Ramsey to eat.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
If he enjoyed it, that's really all that matters I guess. It's like my in-laws cooking prime NY Strips well done. It just about brings me to tears, but it ain't my steak. But as mentioned, brisket ain't easy for someone who isn't used to dealing with them, especially if you don't have the right setup to handle it. I was forced to do one on a gas grill about 5 years ago at someone else's house. It actually turned out much better than I expected, but I felt like I was on one of those Food Network shows where they set you up to fail by giving you a whole salmon, a rusted out oil barrel, and some banana leaves, and make you cook it in 30 minutes for Gordon Ramsey to eat.
Gas grills aint bbqing for sure...cooking out..yeah...got one sitting inbarn..never used...

Sgt. Lincoln Osiris

Lead farmer
Crimson Tide Club
Well, in his defense, I do also enjoy dehydrated jerky on occasion as well.

That's one expensive hunk of jerky, though.

Srsly, it looks like if there WAS any juice left, he cut it as soon as he yanked it without letting it rest so the few drops of juice could redistribute.

Another challenging meat to smoke properly is pork tenderloin. I learned the first time I tried it. Turned out delicious, but a hair dry. I didn't wrap it soon enough. Was waiting on that bark to start forming, and I became preoccupied with making baked beans and forgot about the loin, like a doofus.