| FTBL Saban’s Recovery Center - What a Legacy

Davestwin

Sideline Club
Really great CBS story on Coach Saban’s coaching tree … specifically about the coaches whose careers were resurrected at Bama. They all had very nice things to say about Coach Saban … some things we don’t often hear about … if ever. Very much worth the time to read it.

rammerjammer

Gump 4ever
Scholarship Club
I'll take irony for $1000, Alex.

The first head coach to attempt to make Alabama's staff size an issue with the NCAA and did so publicly.

Who is Mack Brown?
I remember that. It was at this point, I think Brown realized the game had changed. You can't sit in your plush office and recruit all the talent to Texas, just because your Texas. You have to work and adapt.

I think the same thing happened to Phat Phil at Tennessee. When what you have being doing has worked well, it is very difficult to change to do something else and make that work well. That is the amazing aspect of Saban. Although you might be the best, you are willing to change/adapt in order to get better and still be the best.

TerryP

Ivory Club
You can't sit in your plush office and recruit all the talent to Texas, just because your Texas. You have to work and adapt.
That comment is directly related to this thread from a few days ago. Their "recruiting methods" were "from the office chair" under Brown. He wasn't putting in the work.

Davestwin

Sideline Club
I remember that. It was at this point, I think Brown realized the game had changed. You can't sit in your plush office and recruit all the talent to Texas, just because your Texas. You have to work and adapt.

I think the same thing happened to Phat Phil at Tennessee. When what you have being doing has worked well, it is very difficult to change to do something else and make that work well. That is the amazing aspect of Saban. Although you might be the best, you are willing to change/adapt in order to get better and still be the best.
Another of the truly great coaches in college football history who not surprisingly also coached at Bama, did the same type of changes to keep his program at the top. First, he realized he had to convince the powers at be in the Old South that Bama had to recruit black players to win championships going forward. Then he saw the advantages of the wishbone and totally changed his offense and his recruiting to accommodate it. I so hope the younger generations never forget the Bear is also in the discussion of the GOAT’s in coaching. As Bama fans, we’re so blessed to have the undisputed numbers 1 and 2 in that category … not to mention two other coaches in the top 20. Though I’ll leave Thomas and Wade for another day’s posting.

JoseyWalesTheOutlaw

Crimson Tide Club
I am so sorry that Coach Bryant passed so soon after he hung up his whistle. I am sure we missed so many great interviews he would have been part of in his retirement years. As great as he was even he got to big for britches around 66 and misplaced his direction on recruiting. Bama paid for those next 3/4 years but he switched back to his normal mode along with the wishbone and boy what a successful stretch Bama enjoyed.

mando

Sideline Club
Sark describing Saban and his compassion was one of my biggest wow thoughts from the article. Not how people most think of Saban for sure.

This quote from Brown was telling "Never thought anything about it". Why Brown and many are good but not great. Saban does stick to his core values like hard work, discipline, preparation, doing all the little things right and recruiting (top players and coaches) but no where in there is the use of a particular scheme. He adjusts schemes and personnel as needed. He also looks at the landscape of the rules and looks for advantages within the rules of course :).

Maybe his true genius is how he uses the human nature/desires of players or coaches and articulates how they will achieve that at Alabama. The win win view come here and achieve your goals even if you sacrifice a little now for a bigger reward in the future. He has had so much success it is not just a sales pitch and idle words like most programs.

Oh how I hope he is actively working his succession plan. Observing him he likely is because he has demonstrated that he does not leave anything to chance.

JoseyWalesTheOutlaw

Crimson Tide Club
Even though Nick has won everything he fully understands that he doesn't know it all and he is working 24/7/365 to hire/meet with those that do. Most people that has had his success get HAPPY with their themselves and lose some of their edge.

Being able to manage successfully todays recruiting/player pool is amazing. This is NOT your fathers college football players.

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
Maybe his true genius is how he uses the human nature/desires of players or coaches and articulates how they will achieve that at Alabama. The win win view come here and achieve your goals even if you sacrifice a little now for a bigger reward in the future. He has had so much success it is not just a sales pitch and idle words like most programs.
This is the trait Saban shares most with Bryant. Recognize potential, and then develop the player and the person beyond anything they imagined for themselves.

rammerjammer

Gump 4ever
Scholarship Club
This is the trait Saban shares most with Bryant. Recognize potential, and then develop the player and the person beyond anything they imagined for themselves.
Agreed!! In reading articles about Bryant and how he handled players and these situations.......... I think the psychology aspect of how to read players and know how to tap into that potential and motivate them is what sets Bryant/Saban apart. I have heard Saban say that he has learned how to read personalities and know whether a player needs to have his ass chewed to get him in gear, or whether he needs to pat them on the back and tell them, "you'll get it next time".

I know Franchione was big on doing personality tests on all his players to kind of figure that out about them. I ask Saban at the coaches show about this one time, and he said he used to do it, but it is not necessary anymore. Through recruiting and getting to know players, he can figure that out and can motivate as need be.

Top Bottom