| RECRUIT ⭐⭐⭐ - S Kadarius Calloway Flips from Mississippi St.

bama alum

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score

Alabama flipped Mississippi State commit Kadarius Calloway on Wednesday, as the Philadelphia (Miss.) product becomes pledge No. 11 in Nick Saban and staff’s 2021 recruiting class. Calloway, recruited as a safety, had been committed to the Bulldogs since last October under Joe Moorehead.

Defensive line coach Freddie Roach is credited with the addition. The Tide assistant has been in “everyday” contact with the 6-foot-1, 195-pounder since UA offered in late April. Charles Kelly is the secondary recruiter.

“He stays on my tail a lot, makes sure I’m working out, not being lazy,” Calloway said of Roach. “We talk about what I’m doing, what he’s doing, what they have going on. He calls me every day.”

Calloway went on to say he’s been hearing from Alabama much more than he has from Mississippi State since Mike Leach took over as head coach earlier this year.

“I could see myself myself playing there,” Calloway said of UA. “They’re different from other schools.”

Of note, Calloway has yet to visit the Capstone, but considering it’s only a two-hour drive to campus, it’s not far from home, something that is important in the decision-making process.

Calloway is rated the No. 24 athlete and the No. 364 overall player in the country, per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite Rankings.

Last season Calloway totaled 42 catches for 974 yards and 12 touchdowns to go along with 112 rushing yards. Defensively, Calloway racked up 50 tackles with 11 interceptions, seven pass breakups and two fumble recoveries.

Here's what 247Sports national analyst Charles Power said of him:

"Kadarius Calloway is a very intriguing prospect. He stars on both sides of the ball at Philadelphia High School as a receiver and defensive back. You can see his ability to locate and track the football downfield on offense, but I really like his physicality and striking power as a defender. He flies around and has some real pop as a hitter. Calloway has also shown well at recent camps and has turned in some nice times, running sub 4.6 at 6-foot, 210 pounds. Given his physical tools and skill set, I like the fit as a big safety. We see top defensive backs often play on both sides of the ball at the high school level, so that's a big plus as well. I'm looking forward to monitoring Calloway closely as we move forward and we should hopefully have some opportunities to see him in person. I like this evaluation and get for Alabama - a versatile defensive back who has probably flown under the radar a bit to date."

Alabama's class jumps to No. 11 in the country with the addition, per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite Team Recruiting Rankings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Justneedme81

Sideline Club
Reaction score
I mentioned on the other board that Mike Leach didn't really stay on this kid and i'm suprised by that. Kid could be real good for us.

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
He's a legit athlete. His WR highlights as a youngster are really impressive... Has that compact strength that is pretty rare for such a speedster. He also lays dudes out on defense though... Physical kid! I like the pick up! RTR

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
He'll be a great ball hawk at safety. Eddie, Landon, Haha...

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
I don't know of anyone who saw this flip coming. I heard rumor last night ... still came as a surprise to me and looking around none of the other sites seem to have "scooped the flip."

Mississippi State guys had no clue either. Look at this headline from about this time yesterday morning.

5.jpg

colbyjacks

Verified Member
Sideline Club
Reaction score
This one definitely came out of left field for most people that follow Bama recruiting. Not sure what this says about the other prospects they were looking at for the safety positions.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
I am not sure what you're thinking here.

He's very highly regarded by those who cover him in Mississippi. And, as is often the case, recruiting services underrate kids from the state.
He's a 4*, top 300 guy on ESPN and considered one of the top ten out of the state of MS. 50 tackles last season, 11 INT's...

colbyjacks

Verified Member
Sideline Club
Reaction score
What I meant is, I'm guessing they valued him over the other safety options?

Based solely on the highlights I watched: his hips aren't quick but he does well for jump balls and lays the wood on defense. I'm not sure what all we ask the safety to do? I'm wondering if him playing for a 2A school, is that what makes him look good? I wouldn't have thought just "sub 4.6 speed" would pull away from defenders like that on some of the receptions and returns. Assuming when they say sub 4.6 they are talking about just below that time.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
While Auburn and LSU are both chasing McKinstry as hard as they can he's one I believe you can take to the bank.
Around April, maybe...word starts getting around that Bama is really in the mix for Marshall. In the last two days three publishers from Rivals have him to Bama including BamaInsider's Andrew Bone. (Huff is his primary.)

That puts them at five in the secondary. I've not heard if their going with six. I know if the right guy comes along, they'll go six.

Top Bottom