| LIFE RCS to Droid Users Nationwide

sk33tr

el jefe
Bama Club
Reaction score
got rid of my android phone last week and went back to iphone.

NOT a fan of what google has been doing. so they get no more of my money.

rocknthefreeworld

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
Problem with RCS is that it is not enabled for third party messaging apps and once again Apple refuses too support standards. So you have to use Google's messaging app and it still is not cross platform because Apple is a horrible company.

XXL TideFan

Don't go there
Century Club
Reaction score
This will push the carriers to move to it until it is any RCS app

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Just got a Note 10+, I broke my Note 8 months ago when I was out fly fishing. I've been using my old Note 4 which is painfully slow until my upgrade date.

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Just installed the new message app. Damn, its wanting me to set it as default.

rocknthefreeworld

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
To use RCS you have to set Google Messages as the default on anything other than Samsung. And the other person has to do the same. It's like iMessage at the moment, both sides have to have a supported app and there are only a few total.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
As I was reading ...

I saw Android was preparing more RCS API's for OEM's. It struck me as something they were trying to do across the platform. Based on that it'll essentially be default in two years.

What are the numbers now ... I'm guessing a little less than two years per smartphone is the average consumer purchase rate. A "normal" life for a smartphone for a person not given to "trade-in" every two years is what? Four and a half years?

Just thinking ... iPhone8 was 2017, right? And we're about to see 11? Samsung and their S series updates yearly as I recall...spring of last year for S9, spring of this year for S10.

Yeah...it'll be default in a couple of years.

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
I went Note4, Note8, Note10+. Would have been on a longer cycle between the Note8 and Note10+ had I not been a dumbass. 3-4 years seems good to me.

I'm in a plan that allows me to buy a phone at 50% off, just have to pay for the phone upfront at one time. I'm on a great plan.

Previously I'd upgrade and sell the old phone on Craigslist. I've sold 4-5 phones if I had to guess.

rocknthefreeworld

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
Except for anybody who uses a non-default messaging client. There seems to be no plan at all for Google to include a non-OEM API. So people like my wife or daughter can't use it. There are tons of folks who don't use the OEM or Google messaging clients and they are basically being thrown to the side at present.

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
So I just move over to RCS today.

The quality of videos sent to an iPhone has improved greatly.

XXL TideFan

Don't go there
Century Club
Reaction score
Install messages and carrier services in google. Reboot

Top Bottom