| NEWS PSA: Cell phones now have ability to track Covid-19 exposure

rocknthefreeworld

Verified Member
Bama Club
Century Club
Reaction score
Non-smartphones can have firmware updates made to enable this same thing. Even without GPS or WIFI a rough location can be ascertained via triangulation methods. Matter of fact, it may be less transparent on a non-smartphone as users may not have access to any screens showing the feature.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
"They" is anyone that can collect information on civilians and use it to make money or spy on you for gain. "They" can be Facebook, Google, NSA, CIA, a multitude of things, but definitely not people we want rooting around our personal lives.

94 Grad

Century Club
Reaction score

94 Grad

Century Club
Reaction score
It's not supposed to be used via GPS or Wifi nor is it supposed to be based of location. It is supposed to use Bluetooth Proximity and anonymous IDs on an opt in/out basis. "They" won't know who you are nor where you are nor whom you're near... only what ID's your ID is/was near in the last 2 weeks. I really don't see any issue in this and it could be a tremendous tool to help get us back to a more "normal" life. I'm sure Google tracks more sensitive information on us via web searches on our phones on a daily basis... that is what you should be worried about... not this covid-19 tracker, IMO.

rocknthefreeworld

Verified Member
Bama Club
Century Club
Reaction score
I hae worked extensively with similar systems. Of course anonymous data is not a problem, but consider that your info is not anonymous to your phone and therefore not anonymous to your phone company and Google/Apple. So they can easily figure out what ID go with what real person.

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
When I start reading about this, I look couldn't find it. Till I look under my Goggles account.

94 Grad

Century Club
Reaction score
Then you make laws and regulations with teeth for abuse and enforce it. GDPR does a real good job at that. You can't/won't live your life without opening yourself up to issues if you plan to keep using technology... or you could just go back to the dark ages and get off the grid completely. Your choice ;)

94 Grad

Century Club
Reaction score
Dumb cell phones can be tracked... you have to use their towers to get connected. You can be triangulated. Everyone you do business with collects data on you... you're going to need to get off the grid completely if you're that worried about it.

Like I said before, Google knows more about where I go and what I do than this COVID-19 tracking app will... so if you're worried about it, you're barking up the wrong tree. We should be asking for strong laws to protect that private information similar to GDPR. Unfortunately, the corporate lobbyist will be fighting against that if they can....

94 Grad

Century Club
Reaction score
It's not about faith... they are tracking you already with everything you do. If you don't have any consumer protection in place, you're left to the wolves. At least with some protections in place you have a somewhat fighting chance... right now you have very little to zero rights.

You can fight, bitch and yell about this COVID-19 tracker all you won't... but they are tracking you with or without that app already... don't fool yourself.

footballer

Sideline Club
Reaction score
What can't "THEY" do?

XXL TideFan

Don't go there
Bama Club
Reaction score
Guys, I was in some advanced electronics in the navy in the mid 80s. The Navy had a van they could park outside of a building and could decipher electronic type writers being used. Tempest, if I remember. Deceptive Electronics Countermeasures (DECM) was my gig.

Your smart tv, cable box all spy on you. We proved a tv turned off could be used to eavesdrop back then. Your speaker operates like a microphone and will generate a feed back from noise in the room.

Top Bottom