| NEWS PSA: Cell phones now have ability to track Covid-19 exposure

XXL TideFan

Don't go there
Bama Club
Reaction score
During the cellphone issues of the past week TPB force installed COVID-19 tracking on your phone. I don’t have an iphone but I checked the androids and it is there.

1593086414822.png

XXL TideFan

Don't go there
Bama Club
Reaction score
Do not think that they will stop at utilizing Bluetooth.

rocknthefreeworld

Verified Member
Bama Club
Century Club
Reaction score
It was not during the shutdowns last week. This was listed in the patch notes for May on Android and iPhone for addition of the API to the OS. It also is supposed to require a separate app to be installed to use it. While I might believe it should not be there at all, at least we can get our information right.

Here is the May 20 article about it from Forbes.

XXL TideFan

Don't go there
Bama Club
Reaction score
Pick apart words from a pic that someone made. “They” are the ones wanting to monitor every aspect of your life. Break out a thesaurus or go to urban dictionary if you want. Doesn’t matter to me, that was my PSA (public service announcement) for the day.

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
If Facebook were to disappear, world knowledge would leap forward. I just got back from a beach trip with four generations. My Mom began to regale me with the "news" she gets from Facebook and I had to spend a moment dispelling each ridiculous thing. Parts and pieces to support ridiculous positions.

XXL TideFan

Don't go there
Bama Club
Reaction score
Mine also. I went over everything quite throughly before I posted this. If anyone believes that a mere framework was force installed without your permission, then ”Don’t worry, Be happy”

Not on FB but I do not use mainstream media.

XXL TideFan

Don't go there
Bama Club
Reaction score
@50+yeartidefan - Brother I can’t define “they” for you. It is a nebulous term and I apologize for any confusion. It is entertaining to deliver disturbing news and watch everyone pick apart the structure, grammar, or what have you but not deny the substance of it. Maybe I’m wrong but I run manual updates on my phone and control what goes on it. Give up your privacy for real or imagined protection, I don’t care.

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score
Every cell phone has a unique ID (not the phone number). This is what can be tracked since it provides no information about you (no name, no phone #, no address). It can be used to track movement and potential contact to other unique IDs. Privacy laws (by state) allow/disallow the use of this tracking based on what the consumer will approve (you've seen similar efforts when you go to a website and they notify you of the use of cookies).

If you come into contact with someone with COVID-19 (based on their unique ID), the state can use your unique ID to contact you and advise you to get tested.

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
As with anything people can take something good and use it for something bad and vice versa. Human nature.... The app could help some people but it could also (and will) be abused by some. As I understand it I do not have to enable this. Not sure if I can delete or not but may try.

In today's climate I am certainly cautious about things like this because people are crazy. :(

XXL TideFan

Don't go there
Bama Club
Reaction score
Look at it this way. If you have to just enable it to work, then why do a covert ops to install a harmless framework? Perfectly innocent........sure, yeah that’s the ticket.

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
Well I guess we all have the freedom to not own a cell phone... I did it for 35-40 years. It would be really hard in today's world but it is possible. Depends on your risk/reward threshold. What are you willing to give up for convenience?

XXL TideFan

Don't go there
Bama Club
Reaction score
Only thing that can help is a metal enclosure for your phone.

sk33tr

el jefe
Bama Club
Reaction score
or have a non-smartphone. that way, nothing can be downloaded onto it.

XXL TideFan

Don't go there
Bama Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
If I remember correctly, Naval Intelligence had developed a method to insert spyware/tracker into phones just prior to smart phones. I think texting was the only real capability on the phones at that time.

Top Bottom