| FTBL Phillip Marshall updates the minions on Harsin

18Champs

Century Club
“ No one I know, including some in high places, argues that Auburn head football coach Bryan Harsin has done almost everything right in his first five months on the job. You don’t have to go far to find someone who will tell you that his commitment to a winning culture, his attention to detail and his determination to do things right and above board are real.

The lone question, one that really can’t be answered yet, is how he will adapt to recruiting in the part of the country in which he now lives after growing up and spending all but two years of his professional life in Boise, Idaho.

“It’s nothing like anything he encountered out west,” said one who has been part of football programs in both places. “Nothing. He might have gotten a taste of it at Texas, but even in the Big 12 it’s not the same. Recruiting in the SEC is like nothing else. No one can really understand it until they’ve experienced it.”

The reality of life in the SEC is this: You don’t have to have as many impact players as Alabama, Georgia, etc., to compete with them and even beat them. But you have to have enough. Gus Malzahn had enough to beat Nick Saban three times in eight tries. For all the talk about Malzahn being 0-4 in Tuscaloosa, he was 3-1 against Alabama at Jordan-Hare. The point is that he had enough impact players to compete and win against the most dominant program in the game.

Impact players aren’t measured by star rankings. Dee Ford was a 3-star. Alabama quarterback Mac Jones was a 3-star who was headed for Kentucky and is now likely to be a first-round draft pick. Kevin Greene walked on, left and walked on again on his way to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The list could go on and on, of course.

Most successful coaching staffs aren’t star-gazers. They do their own evaluations. They might view a player as what amounts to a 5-star in their systems when the recruiting analysts don’t. Or it might be the opposite.

This not meant to start a debate about recruiting rankings, but those stars mean nothing on game day in the SEC. Impact players are the key, regardless of star rankings. Harsin has to be get enough of them or all the culture and accountability in the world won’t be enough.

Developing players is a great thing, but no one can build an SEC program around just that. The ones you really want to develop are those who are really good and really talented already.

So, can Harsin and his staff recruit enough impact players, the kind who can look Alabama and Georgia players in the eye? I don’t know how anyone can know that answer at this point. But that answer will tell the story of Harsin’s time at Auburn.”

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
“ No one I know, including some in high places, argues that Auburn head football coach Bryan Harsin has done almost everything right in his first five months on the job. You don’t have to go far to find someone who will tell you that his commitment to a winning culture, his attention to detail and his determination to do things right and above board are real.

The lone question, one that really can’t be answered yet, is how he will adapt to recruiting in the part of the country in which he now lives after growing up and spending all but two years of his professional life in Boise, Idaho.
Maybe I'm just dense, but isn't his statement saying that "no one...argues that Harsin has done almost everything right...", meaning consensus is that he's NOT done almost everything right?

mando

Sideline Club
This is code for boosters need to ante up. This new coach can't go toe to toe with these guys so he needs help with some green.

Also, almost like he is trying to temper some unrest within the barner fambly.

Oh and the writing is horrible.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
@TerryP
Well, .. there was a thought ( by many).. .... that
Benny was the reason that the Patriots didnt move to Birmingham....

...Story goes.....Patriots and NY Jets had a exhibition game in Birmingham....
Patriots owner was testing the water of fan interest for pro football

Benny called to getan interview with Namath.....before the game....called several times...and Joe never returned his calls....

Benny was so offended he wrote an offensive article in paper ....about game/Joe/Patriots...or something... writers were really revered in those days...

Instead of a packed Legion Field...only like 35K showed up.....
Birmingham was scratched from consideration....
( This is from memory....the details may waiver but not the event)..

mando

Sideline Club
Yes. A lot of the "hate" you see from Phillip is due to his dad's relationship with Coach Bryant. It's said Benny called Coach about Phillip's grades, Coach tore him a new one, and Phillip ended up leaving UA. The rest, as they say, is history.
Butt hurt so a perfect match for the Barn. I did not know this story but makes sense.

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
Wasnt his dad Benny Marshall....Birmingham News writer....?
I was a Clyde Bolton reader as a kid, and of course his son Mike followed him at the Bham News as well. My grandfather was transportation manager at the News (Mercury Express) and we have autographed copies of Bolton's Alabama books. He also wrote a novel, forget the name, that was pretty good.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
I was a Clyde Bolton reader as a kid, and of course his son Mike followed him at the Bham News as well. My grandfather was transportation manager at the News (Mercury Express) and we have autographed copies of Bolton's Alabama books. He also wrote a novel, forget the name, that was pretty good.

and Alf Van Hous ( probably misspell)....
I grew up reading News and Post-Herald religionly....

Looked...didnt have anymore Bolton books...thats good collection you have..

kept most sunday editions Of news papers.... in football season...( still have most)...until they shipped me away in ‘67....

they did one new sports edition As an insert in fall of early 80s...Bear was on copy of issue #1.... the next Issue....my dad was on cover...He was proud of that..

Here is Boltons book on bama

6DEFEBA6-48B9-494D-A58F-449B8668A546.jpeg

mando

Sideline Club

kept most sunday editions Of news papers.... in football season...( still have most)...until they shipped me away in ‘67....

they did one new sports edition As an insert in fall of early 80s...Bear was on copy of issue #1.... the next Issue....my dad was on cover...He was proud of that..

View attachment 17513
That is great stuff. Post the one of your dad.

Oh and some of these young bama fans are finding out Bama played elite ball even before Saban:). Roll Tide @50+yeartidefan !!!!

View attachment 17513
I believe the brand of that shoe Terry is wearing is Spotbilt

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club

View attachment 17513
When I was in elementary school, this was the book that I would always check out!!! I ain't even lying!!!