FTBL Phil Steele: Projected starting lineups and position group rankings.

TerryP

ADMINISTRATION
Also that L. Ray is a freakish talent and having him at DE and another DL at NT (Davis, Buggs, Mathis, Wynn, etc) is a better and more talented line up than Dwight at NT.
You're robbing Peter to pay Paul. Why take a guy like Davis or Buggs--who are excelling at their end spots--and move them to NT?

We don't know if Musika is a better fit. I hold serious doubts he's in "Bama playing shape," and then there's the system he'll have to learn.

What strikes me as interesting here is you're taking younger guys and moving them over a guy that's been in the system awhile. How often have we seen that happen within the Saban defense?

One thing I have to say about Williams. He did appear thicker this spring. I can see his body maturing in my minds eye to take snaps at nose but as of the end of the spring camp he wasn't ahead of Dwight.

Let's not forget: One of the most improved awards this spring went to? Dwight. I've had more than a few mention to me he looks better suited for the middle now than Frazier did last year at the same time.

To be fair to them, though, Alabama did have Williams listed at nose with the one's during A-Day
Both teams were listed as DL. There wasn't a difference made between DT and NT as I recall. I'd have to look up the rosters to be sure but I'm pretty positive it was listed as DL, LB, and DB's without breaking it down any further.
Maybe it was just AL.com jumping to conclusions I saw.

Post-spring Alabama projected defensive depth chart
Here's what the University published.

View attachment 9204
Looks a lot like who's expected to be on the first team defense.... Including Q Williams

Also that L. Ray is a freakish talent and having him at DE and another DL at NT (Davis, Buggs, Mathis, Wynn, etc) is a better and more talented line up than Dwight at NT.
You're robbing Peter to pay Paul. Why take a guy like Davis or Buggs--who are excelling at their end spots--and move them to NT?
Because it's better to have 3 elite talents on the field than 2 :hyper:

Also the idea that the "run stuffing" strategy is no longer as important in our defense. Our DL's and LB's are all so big, athletic, versatile that it takes care of itself. Having 3 good pass rushing DL's is more valuable.

TerryP

ADMINISTRATION
Also the idea that the "run stuffing" strategy is no longer as important in our defense. Our DL's and LB's are all so big, athletic, versatile that it takes care of itself. Having 3 good pass rushing DL's is more valuable.
It's Phil Steele's. He's calling the base defense--which remains a 3-4 concept. It's a starting line with three--a specific nose tackle.

As I said, Williams was starting to "fill out" to be that size of a guy. But, as I also said, right now we're looking at Dwight going into the fall. They left spring that way.

Much like his projection of Wills at guard, who says that holds true? Leatherwood could see the starting five there. Lest we forget what we saw in rotations in the last game alone.

I like it you get gung-ho on positions. It's quite entertaining. Reminded me earlier about our conversations last year about AA.

BamaBoyJosh

Verified Member
Linebackers (1st)
Yet the team plays in nickel so often.
Yeah, I think we get hung up on that base set a little too much. Granted nose is VERY important, especially when it comes to playing teams like LSU and Georgia where we will be in base a lot more, but the truth is we're going to see a lot more dime and nickel sets without a true nose on the field. Payne, A'Shawn Robinson, Marcell Dareus those were guys that could play nose (when they did) and also move to the 3 technique in a 4-man line and even 5-technique in the base (other than Payne). Maybe Williams ends up being one of those type players.

It's Phil Steele's. He's calling the base defense--which remains a 3-4 concept. It's a starting line with three--a specific nose tackle.

As I said, Williams was starting to "fill out" to be that size of a guy. But, as I also said, right now we're looking at Dwight going into the fall. They left spring that way.

Much like his projection of Wills at guard, who says that holds true? Leatherwood could see the starting five there. Lest we forget what we saw in rotations in the last game alone.

I like it you get gung-ho on positions. It's quite entertaining. Reminded me earlier about our conversations last year about AA.
I get gung-ho about ALL positions.... Remember doing the same about playing 2 QB's last year as well.

I don't see Dwight playing much in ANY package. Just like A Day, Q Williams is in the starting group whether that means 3-4 or 4-3. He's the guy! He's going to make a lot of good plays... And I'm confident enough to make an avi bet....! :bama2:

Linebackers (1st)
Yet the team plays in nickel so often.
Yeah, I think we get hung up on that base set a little too much. Granted nose is VERY important, especially when it comes to playing teams like LSU and Georgia where we will be in base a lot more, but the truth is we're going to see a lot more dime and nickel sets without a true nose on the field. Payne, A'Shawn Robinson, Marcell Dareus those were guys that could play nose (when they did) and also move to the 3 technique in a 4-man line and even 5-technique in the base (other than Payne). Maybe Williams ends up being one of those type players.
I think you nailed it. He's going to be one of those guys!

Top Bottom