Football Penn State QB, Tommy Stevens, laughs at Alabama saying it has 'best QB room'

Tommy Stevens laughs at Alabama saying it has 'best QB room'

"Best QB room in the country," the official Alabama football Twitter account wrote in a post, which contained highlights of Crimson Tide quarterbacks Jalen Hurts and Tua Tagovailoa, on Monday. At least one person doesn't agree with that assessment. Penn State signal-caller Tommy Stevens retweeted the video from his own Twitter account, and the quarterback accompanied the video with one word — "Lol."

Although the play of Hurts, and later Tagivailoa helped Alabama capture a second College Football Playoff trophy last season, it's safe to assume that Stevens thinks the "Best QB room in the country" resides in Happy Valley. Stevens, a redshirt junior, will backup senior quarterback Trace McSorley for the third consecutive season, while it's still undecided, at least publicly, who will start between Hurts and Tagovailoa.

At one point this offseason, there was uncertainty about whether Stevens would even return to Penn State for the 2018 campaign. The dual-threat passer was considering a move from the Nittany Lions as a graduate transfer. Ultimately, Stevens made the decision to come back in late March after weighing his options at other schools. He could have potentially had two seasons to start at another school, and he would have been immediately eligible.

"I did search around and look to see if there was a better place for me somewhere, and I talked to some schools," Stevens said at the time. "Ultimately, I know what I have here. I love Penn State. I love the relationships that I have here. And I love playing football with my best friends.

"I found out this is still the best place for me, and this is what I want to do moving forward."

Jalen Hurts was also involved in transfer speculation after he was replaced by Tagovailoa in the second half of the Crimson Tide's comeback title victory over Georgia. Hurts' father even went as far as to say his son could potentially be the "biggest free agent in college football history." But Hurts has also decided to stay put, for now, as the quarterback battle rages on into fall camp.

“I think that both players, aight, need to know that they need to win the team, that’s what they need to do,” Alabama coach Nick Saban said in early June at the 12th annual Nick’s Kids charity golf tournament at Old Overton Country Club. “And the best way for them to do that is stay focused on what they need to do, and I think anything that they do that brings attention to themselves probably erodes the opportunity for that to happen."

Stevens and McSorley have been able to coexist for the past three seasons, although McSorley has always had the defined role as a starter. Stevens has been used under center in wildcat formations and at wide receiver and running back. Something similar could happen at Alabama if Hurts and Tagovailoa remain with the Crimson Tide for the entire season. Creating packages for Hurts could keep him engaged even if he doesn't regain his starting role.

As always, Alabama will begin the season as a favorite in the SEC West. Penn State is also a contender in the competitive Big Ten East division. All four quarterbacks should get plenty of opportunities to prove who really has the best QB room in the country.

Penn State football: Tommy Stevens laughs at Alabama saying it has 'best QB room'

BamaBoyJosh

Verified Member
Tommy Stevens - Senior - QB
2015: DNP
2016: 2-3, 36 yards
2017: 14-27, 158 yards, 3 TD, 2 rushing TD
TOTALS: 16-30, 194 yards, 3 TD, 2 rushing TD...

This dude really laughing about anything?

TerryP

I do my own stunts but never intentionally.
ADMINISTRATION
A legitimate reason to question Penn State's ranking in "QB rooms" is where their offensive coordinator/quarterback coach is from last season? If we're going to take a players experience as a factor, shouldn't we also take the coaching staffs experience with said QB as well?

I suspect we'll see some of Penn State's offensive prowess drop this season because they lost Moorhead. It's also a large contributing factor in why I believe Mississippi State will surprise some folks this season.

A legitimate reason to question Penn State's ranking in "QB rooms" is where their offensive coordinator/quarterback coach is from last season? If we're going to take a players experience as a factor, shouldn't we also take the coaching staffs experience with said QB as well?

I suspect we'll see some of Penn State's offensive prowess drop this season because they lost Moorhead. It's also a large contributing factor in why I believe Mississippi State will surprise some folks this season.
Does that apply to Bama...lost OC and DC?...I hope not....but ...

planomateo

Ready to put Tejas in the rear view, hello Montana
ADMINISTRATION
HARRY'S
In my opinion losing Kiffin was a bigger than losing Daboll. Pruitt loss will be felt in my opinion because Loupi hasn't been DC before.

TerryP

I do my own stunts but never intentionally.
ADMINISTRATION

Does that apply to Bama...lost OC and DC?...I hope not....but ...
Yes. And I wouldn't put Bama's QB room over a few others. There a similar situation between Bama and Penn State in that another well known assistant moved into the position.

(On a different note, when Franklin announced the hire/promotion of Ricky Rahne he used the words "fiercely loyal." That reads as a very good thing, right? But, we've seen these same traits lead to some bad hires as well--Ensminger at LSU is the first that comes to mind. We dealt with that fiercely loyal assistant while watch Con keep his job under Shula. It's not always a good move.)

sk33tr

el jefe
HARRY'S
in all seriousness, here's my question to him...

in ALL of college football, which QB team/room won the national championship?

if you can't answer that with "mine", then shut up until you can.