| NEWS Pac-12 is losing ground quickly

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Interesting take on things in the Pac-12.

Reaction score
The people on the left coast don't give a shit about much of anything. It is only going to get worse for them.

c5vetman

Verified Member
Extra Point Club
Reaction score
how does the B1G10 get $10M more PER SCHOOL than the SEC on average?

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Jon Rothstein, basketball guy for CBS Sports, mentioned last night he has his doubts that we'll see a PAC team make it to the second weekend in March. In other words, he doesn't see a team from the PAC being in that final/top group of 32 teams.

Here's where their story about their decline becomes cloudy. We've been told for years one of the main disadvantages football teams in the PAC have is their location: TV times and exposure from one coast to another. The lack of viewers has led to lower rankings which in turn has led to a 'product' that's below the P5 conferences.

Now, I'm seeing the same in basketball? There's two of the three major revenue sports on decline, conference wide. Are we going to see the same excuses for this sport?

I have a very hard time even considering their basketball woes are the lack of exposure. I see as many references to Walton calling west coast games as I've seen references to officiating.

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
A few thoughts on why...
  • The Pac-12 product isn't impressive - attendance, tv viewers
  • Later games due to Pacific Time Zone.
  • Larry Scott - lack of tv contracts, lack of carrier contracts (directv), and those silly weekday games
  • Pac-12 is too geographically dispersed, don't know how much this plays into it.
  • California's biggest 4 programs are in metropolitan areas that have many non-locals (San Francisco Los Angeles). Is there any real passion for the teams in the local area?
  • Most viewed games, rarely has a Pac-12 team in the top5 of the list, College Football TV Ratings
  • Pac-12 has had a 13% drop in attendance from 2013-2018, (much larger than other conferences), Hotline special report: Decline in Pac-12 attendance outpaces the drops in other Power Five conferences
  • Pac-12 average attendance is 46k and those numbers are probably on the high side - enrollment numbers really aren't that different from an SEC school (ignoring Texas A&M). And you'd think with the attendance and product, the tickets have to be cheap...
    • Stadium capacity is significantly smaller than the SEC.

rammerjammer

Gump 4ever
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
We all know the Pac 12 sucks.

I'm thankful that Plano used losing correctly in the title and did not spell it loosing. Thank you sir!!👍

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
@planomateo found this image this morning ... just a symptom of the lack of awareness the PAC has with their scheduling. I wouldn't be watching either one...but a lot would have been tuned in to see the tribute to Kobe.

Top Bottom