| FTBL One Key Difference Between Saban and the Bear

Davestwin

Registered
Reaction score
As Bama fans, we’re so blessed that Saban has just about matched or exceeded the Bear in just about every meaningful category. As a rabid Bama fan, there’s one category I truly wish he would make great strides in ... and that is closing the gap in beating Auburn more consistently (Bryant’s 19-6 record versus Saban’s 8-5 record). Perhaps having been a Bama player made the Auburn game more viscerally important to Coach Bryant? At any rate, it would be nice if Saban would start a winning run against them this Saturday that will continue unabated until he retires!

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
That is a valid point. I hate to lose to them, and winning is more relief than joy. Another key difference, is Coach Saban is much healthier than Coach Bryant at the same age. Health may not be the determinant as to when he hangs it up.

tider79

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Yep so true...sippin whiskey and Chesterfields have a way of shortening your years....

Crtuneman

Sideline Club
Reaction score
I agree but there is one difference between auburn now and auburn then. Auburn must have hired a witch doctor or something because they have become the luckiest team in ncaa. Bama has clearly been the better team for most of sabans tenure. But even the best coach ever can't overcome that auburn luck. Realistically Saban should be 10-3 or 11-2, but auburn squeaked by on luck, not coaching or talent. But let's be honest, beating auburn is not as important for winning championships like it used to be since auburn is not as good as they used to be.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
@planomateo @mando @LeGarrette

this better. Lol

Really. Nick is awesome.
Bear is a legend

i compare it like this:::::

Bear= The Babe. Babe Ruth The greatest
Nick= Hank Araron ( was Barry Bonds but i agreed he ws a disgrace because of steriods) Home run champion

Or
Bear= Micheal Jordan. A legend
Ns= labron. A great player ( racist mf )
both incredible without a doubt. ( can susitute Kobe if u want).

not a knock in ns. Some people end up just being legendary

the BEAR was just that. People n fans of all schools just loved the BEAR.
He was a Mickey Mantle, a Jack Nicklaus , a
John Wooden, Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, etc.

A true Alabama Legend

Last edited:

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
I get your point @50+yeartidefan but I would definitely find other comparisons other than Barry Bonds. Heck Mickey Mantle would have been a better comparison than Bonds. Same with Lebron, maybe Kobe Bryant would be better (made mistakes in his life when he was younger). Just cringed comparing to Bonds and Lebron...

Oh and on the topic of this thread, this to me has been what separates the Bear and Saban. Saban has not buried the Barn, Bear did.

Last edited:

Tidestalker

Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
He hasn't coached his best in this game. A lot of self inflicted wounds. Which is unfortunate, because it's about the only way he hasn't completely dominated in his tenure at UA, except maybe the Clemson series.

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Welp, he won't be coaching Saturday. Sark will get this W ;)

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score
Bryant, Saban, Shula, DuBose, Stallings, Ears Whitworth or Thomas. If you don't beat Auburn frequently, your name won't be writ in Crimson flame

252BAMA

AKA: ALA2262
Bama Club
Reaction score

Secondand26

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
Guess that's why they rolled the trees at the barn when he died.......

I grew up during the 70's & remember every other barn POS fan referring to him as a" dirty old drunk". Time has a way of smoothing the edges of our memories. I choose to remember these folks every time I think of the barn, therefore I have no problem thinking of them as the POS they are!

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
Most where i grew up respected him and Shug. Only the jealous didn't respect

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score

Top Bottom