| MBB/WBB Oats: "I'm not going to give you coach speak. We're going to be good."

17Champs

Century Club
Reaction score
An excerpt from the athletic

“I could sit here and downplay expectations because that’s what coaches try to do. We’d be lucky to get 20 wins and all that coach-speak garbage. I’m not going to do that,” he says. “That’s a coach trying to protect himself. No, we’re going to be good. Anything less than a high seed in the NCAA Tournament, we’re going to be disappointed. I don’t see any need in trying to downplay it: We should be competing for an SEC championship and making a run in the NCAA Tournament.

XXL TideFan

Don't go there
Bama Club
Reaction score
All that is left to do now is just do it.

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Not something I would do or want a coach to do but I like his enthusiasm. Curious about his motives behind this. Show his team he believes in them? Trying to raise the teams confidence in themselves? Recruiting?

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
I think he's just go that HS coach mentality built into his DNA and lacks a filter. Not to compare him to Gus in any other ways, but coaches that make accelerated high school coach to college head coach jump, often times have that mentality. Some are more brash than others, and some are actually able to back it up. As for the latter, we will find out soon enough with Oats.

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
It's not my favorite style either, but I do appreciate the honesty he gives. And like he alluded to, he has to back it up, so we can expect him to work towards that. It's a better mentality than we got from lots of other coaches. I think we (I know I have) have gotten spoiled to a guy like Saban who doesn't talk about expectations, but just goes out there and kills it year after year. And the poor-mouthing generation is dying off, so we have all kinds now I guess.

Top Bottom