| FTBL Not optimistic about football (Sankey expectx final decision by late July)

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
Months ago I was positive there would be football. For whatever reason, or a bunch of reasons... I just don't see it happening this fall.

All of these kids reporting to camp and all these positive tests. No one has a clue how a "socially distance" crowd would actually happen. It just seems so unlikely all these loose ends get tied up while the positive tests will almost certainly rise as society becomes more active. The amount of rules the NCAA has put in place for these "voluntary workouts" makes the whole idea of regular team sports feel impossible. Like how is the NCAA going to go from not touching other people to full on football in August? It's such a long shot.

Ultimately I think COVID is a legit threat, and obviously for some WAY more than others... But the combo of the govts botched reaction, inaccurate reporting by the media, and the way society has digested it all, has been nothing short of a disaster.

The one thing I've felt consistent about all along is that either there will be football with "regular" crowds or no football at all. Unfortunately it feels like the latter is so much more likely. :mad:

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
That was expected and preparations were made in case they did happen. We've seen reports of around 15 or so in Tuscaloosa testing positive, as many at 30 recently reported at LSU. ( No hospitalizations or serious illness. )

While capacity may be limited, the season is going to start. That's what I heard yesterday when talking to some friends in different areas around the ATH Dept.

Here's the thing to consider as well. A lot of these kids are better off on campus because they will be under 24 hour medical watch. Testing, as well as care, is a lot better for most of them due to being on campus. And that applies universally around the collegiate football world.

BTW, a month ago the Texas governor said capacity was going to be 25% at games. Two weeks ago he changed that number to 50%.

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
We can riot, tear down statues, protest, etc in close quarters though.

I'm still of the opinion it won't happen this year.

Concerts have all be cancelled/postponed.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, Garth has a concert here on the 27th at the Terrace Theatre. I'm not a concert guy...especially when the prices start at $370+ per single ticket. One GA on the floor is running over $700 now.

PurlJam

Century Club
Reaction score
UAB should be good. They've been practicing social distancing at their games from day 1of the program. :sneaky:

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
We all have beliefs.......
Some oppose others beliefs....
We cant fill a football stadium...but can a political rally...
We cant open churches,....but can open Walmart...
I don’t know what to make of it...except...its an election year.... so believing....isnt easy...

Personally...i do think there will be some football games....but a season .... i dont know.... some stadiums will be occupied.....but obviously not filled....
The impact will be far reaching...financially for sure... and team rosters....will take a hit...the management of these rosters.... juniors and seniors leaving for 2021draft and replacements for 2021 season will be more critical than ever before...with those players replacing departed players getting little to no experience....before having to step into starting roles.... and this wont just be a one season affect
Previous recruiting and great roster management will be the keys for the next couple years... Having NS may be more important for Bama than ever... this may give him a new challenge...

But...i dont know anyof this... i , like everyone else, just surmise such...
Hopefully, a vaccine....back to 70%normal, and roll Tide soon

XXL TideFan

Don't go there
Bama Club
Reaction score
1st amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

It is way past time for we the people to remove our consent to be governed by the PTB. It was the pastors, priests, that shut the churches. Bowing to the state.

94 Grad

Century Club
Reaction score
What happens in season when half the team has Covid and has to sit our for two weeks? What about when a state government shuts down a state school and creates a hole in the conference schedule? What happens when a student inevitably dies or ends up in hospital from catching covid on campus?

I think we are all hoping for best... but odds in my opinion are not good of a complete Season.

Bama Club
Reaction score
I agree and have felt this way for some time started to put up a thread a few days back but figured I would get flamed. This could have been different if all of society in this country had taken this situation seriously and followed advice and guidelines from scientist and health officials. I hope I'm wrong.

jlabit

Verified Member
Extra Point Club
Reaction score
Our life will not be "Normal" again until there is an effective vaccine. A multitude of the worlds greatest minds are working feverishly (No pun intended) to develop this medication. However, the most optimistic outcome would have this vaccine available no earlier than January 2021. Probably a weird way to think about it, but I might lean towards putting the entire team together in close quarters now, let them all catch the virus, and then have virus immunity during fall practice and the regular season. These players are young and will likely have minimal or no symptoms. Now the coaches are an entirely different story. Oops, did I just stir up the hornets nest?

RollllTide!

HEY Get up your killing the grass!
Bama Club
Reaction score
You can fastback a vaccine. The trials don't have to be that long. Especially if the vaccine follows the same path that other vaccines have. The rules for clinical trials are just CDC being cautious. It would be getting covid vs getting a side effect from the vaccine.

MunchyOs

auburn h8r
Century Club
Reaction score
I suppose they are taking the approach that they will try and have some sort of extended summer practice to make up for no spring practice. But at the same time, basically saying that none of this guarantees a season. I just wonder what happens to the other sports' seasons if football is cancelled. If things are still so bad that football can't be played, then certainly, basketball season won't happen either. Would college basketball survive two years in a row of no NCAA tournament? Ditto for college baseball. When will it be safe to actually resume sports? As in, all the way, not playing games minus fans.

On a side note, I came across an old tweet where North Carolina's men's basketball had put out a statement that they were withdrawing themselves from consideration for the NCAA tournament in 2020. This of course, was before they yanked the plug and were still trying to figure out if there was a way to proceed with the tournament with no fans. What's so funny is, North Carolina was BAD last season! As in, well below .500 bad! They had zero chance of making the NCAA tournament anyway 🤣🤣

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score
Many, many people have not been tested for covid, for a variety of reasons. Many, many people have covid but are asymptomatic. Having players on campus lets them get tested. If diagnosed early, it allows them to get over the disease ASAP. I haven't heard of one case where there was a reoccurrence of the disease.

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
I'm hoping we do have Bama football! But if not I hope the players, coaching staff, and all the other that are at BDS are safe!

MunchyOs

auburn h8r
Century Club
Reaction score
I think we have a season. Even if it has to be moved to the spring. The entire planet would have to be on it's last legs before they would allow an entire college football season to be dropped. Just my .02.

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
This is what I really do believe is behind the plan. Get people on campus and those that test isolate. Those that do not have it are still in a more controlled setting by being back on campus. If all schools do this then when they play they it should not be spread hypothetically. Now one rogue program/player can cause issues. Hard to stay isolated w/o an outside person effecting you for the full season.

With that said, pretty sure there are going to be cases during a long season. Unfortunately it may be the luck of the draw of who has a critical player that is under quarantine during a particular game.

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
Exactly. Just too many variables this Fall. Nearly impossible to get everyone on the same page when there is so much LIABILITY and POLITICAL PRESSURE involved. The potential saving grace is the revenue that CF produces... But even that may not be enough to overcome all of these obstacles.

I fully understand @TerryP 's point that having the kids on campus to manage all this stuff is a positive. But when you consider the ramifications of when this stuff pops up during the season and how that will be treated, this season could be a complete disaster.

Top Bottom