| FTBL NIL news. "Bryce is almost at seven figures" according to Saban.

BamaFan334

Crimson Tide Club
If you have zero concern with the administration you shouldn't be concerned about players utilizing what's in place. Just like other aspects of their lives, these things will be monitored and monitored closely. I see contradiction saying, "I'm trust who is in charge" but "I don't trust what they are in charge of."

Single game tickets. We see that every season.

That really makes zero sense. How am I contradicting myself? Just because there are people in charge does not mean people are utilizing that. Do I trust a decision from educated executives and a board with experience or do I trust a 17/18/19/20/21 year old athlete? Look only as far as students that fail out of school. Look at players that transfer out or get kicked off the team for not doing what is right even with everything offered to them and in place. For every one Landon Collins or Jacob Copeland there are a hundred JTT's where they listen to their parents and move on. Or there are just players that will make stupid decisions. This isn't some unfounded opinion, it's based off of true story facts.

I can see this a couple of ways. I see Alabama finding a way to make money from this setup, so they got in front of what they knew was coming and found an angle. We thinking Byrne out of the goodness of his heart decided to throw money into this just to help out the poor athletes? No way, he knows this is a cash cow he can exploit and make more money for the university. There will be partnerships between Alabama and sports agencies to gain access to these players once this engine gets going. Smart on his part, but definitely an angle.

And no, not Single Game tickets, renewable season ticket packages. I know the difference.

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
The money will be crazy for a short while and then probably peak. I'm sure crowdfunding comes into play, a fan base sets it up as a fundraising vehicle to fund a minimal NIL product or endorsement that benefits all players, such as a team photo, and the numbers could really amount to something. Then you'll have players suing for damages when they're dismissed for violations of team rules, etc., or if they're injured and can no longer play.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
The solvency of the program is the number one thing. There is no endowment fund the athletic department can fall back on. Figuratively, it's "hand to mouth" year to year. We're fortunate seeing the athletic department being able to contribute to the academic side.
Right..... the solvency of the program is primary!

and ... Bama better put their fanbase in the upper echelon....
And they have added someNC home games....that should help...

but

only a 90% season ticket renewal.... with a NC caliber...exciting...team..ummm

Sure ...all ST eventually sold...but...still

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
Right..... the solvency of the program is primary!

and ... Bama better put their fanbase in the upper echelon....
And they have added someNC home games....that should help...

but

only a 90% season ticket renewal.... with a NC caliber...exciting...team..ummm

Sure ...all ST eventually sold...but...still

Honestly, I think college football is like a good number of things that were reconsidered during the pandemic. Some things have not rebounded fully, some are still hesitant to exist in crowds, and some simply may have realized that they no longer want to spend the money and time to attend in-person games.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Honestly, I think college football is like a good number of things that were reconsidered during the pandemic. Some things have not rebounded fully, some are still hesitant to exist in crowds, and some simply may have realized that they no longer want to spend the money and time to attend in-person games.
Kinda what i was alluding to...
People may well have realized there are a lot of things to do in the fall...( as we saw from last year)
And.
That extra money is nice to have...( as we experienced from last year)

plus HDTVs

ms50+ talked a lot about that

Rolltide24

Century Club
Ericd with the rare post. Welcome back!
And… I agree with you. My thoughts ever since this began. Schools like Texas have a lot of money. It will help usher them back in the eyes and pockets of recruits. Still need a coach to coach the kids. But they’ll have the talent.

BamaFan334

Crimson Tide Club
Now this is something I do like. I think it's a way for young kids to familiarize themselves with all athletes, not just the superstars. Yet, they will see the value in the superstars. It'll also put some change in the pockets of the lesser known folks as well as some of the lesser valued positions. This may be a cool thing to have if they somewhat limit production and not make a gazillion of them.

94 Grad

Century Club
The NFL, no one has allegiance to any team. You buy a guy's jersey and he will most likely be gone in two years. Julio being traded really pissed me off. I am no longer a Falcons fan specifically because of that. We are Titans fans now, and luckily we can root for Derrick now all of the time as well. I only bring this up, because Julio is one of a few that would have stayed with their team and not asked for more money. Yes, they restructured his deal, but getting rid of a Hall of Famer that has been with your team from Day 1 and that you gave up so much for is just garbage by the Falcons. These guys definitely play for the money and to enrich their lives. No issue with that AT ALL, but so many these days are demanding trades, refusing the play, and just crapping on the fanbase they play for. They don't care anymore as long as they are getting paid. So how can you honestly build a "team" atmosphere around that? As a fan, how can you truly enjoy that atmosphere?

I would argue you are not an NFL fan.... you are a "players fan". IE, you were not an Atlanta Fan, you were a Julio fan. Your NFL fandom is still rooted in your college fandom.

The NFL fans I know, don't see players that way. They look at the team as a whole. They do like/love/hate/loath certain players, but they also get into the trades to make their team better. Die Hard NFL fans are different than Die Hard NCAA football fans. I wouldn't classify you as a Die Hard NFL fan.

Now, having said that. I get what you're saying. I'm not a fan of the pay to play model coming to the NCAA; however, I don't think there is a way to stop if from becoming the NFL minor leagues... be that for the good or bad.

94 Grad

Century Club
The best players already were going to the place they thought gave them the best chance to make money.
This is absolutely true...

As much as I have loved Alabama's "rule" over the Saban era... I can't help but think how broken we've (as in the big boys of NCAA) have broken the game/system. There is very little room at the top of the mountain and if you can't spend the cash that Bama and the other big boys spend (clemson/OSU) then you won't ever make it to the peak. The reality is that there are only about 6-10 programs that can compete on a year to year basis... the rest would be a flash in the pan at best.

BamaFan334

Crimson Tide Club
I would argue you are not an NFL fan.... you are a "players fan". IE, you were not an Atlanta Fan, you were a Julio fan. Your NFL fandom is still rooted in your college fandom.

The NFL fans I know, don't see players that way. They look at the team as a whole. They do like/love/hate/loath certain players, but they also get into the trades to make their team better. Die Hard NFL fans are different than Die Hard NCAA football fans. I wouldn't classify you as a Die Hard NFL fan.

Now, having said that. I get what you're saying. I'm not a fan of the pay to play model coming to the NCAA; however, I don't think there is a way to stop if from becoming the NFL minor leagues... be that for the good or bad.

Well, you would be correct and incorrect. I'm from Atlanta, and have ALWAYS rooted for the home teams. I always wanted the Falcons, Braves, and Hawks to win. As a kid, I grew up in arguably the best era for Braves baseball and loved those teams. So in this case, I am definitely a home team fan. I have raised my kids on the same teams. Sad thing is, my childhood consisted of a Braves team that had a lot of the same players on it year after year. My son, he's seen nothing but turnover. How could I buy him anything other than a Freeman or Acuna jersey (as of recently), and then I still have concerns with them staying a while.

As I grew up, and as the rest of us has realized, the difference from the 70, 80's, and 90's is that it started becoming more about the money than the fan base/city/team. Guys will leave and spit on a city they played with in two seconds. How can you be a hometown fan when your organization continues to ship people away and you're sitting there rooting for a new guy/s every year? Deep in my heart I still want Atlanta to do well, but when player demands are so high and teams only care about salary caps, it's hard to pull for anyone. I think Matt Ryan is a great citizen and great guy, especially after the Vick issues, but there was zero reason to keep him and trade Julio. Both were drafted by Atlanta, spent their whole careers in Atlanta. The only difference is that Julio still has gas left in the tank, continues to pull Top 3 stats, and is a difference maker for the offense. Ryan is a turnover machine, zero mobility, costs us a lot of games, and can't even get the ball deep to Julio or Ridley. Yet the Falcons keep him and trade Julio. In cases like that how can I even remotely agree with the hometown team and root for them when they want to remain below average. We could have traded Ryan, saved millions, let McCarron throw to our guys and bring in some defensive talent with the money we save. NOPE, keep sucking ass on defense, and get rid of our best offensive player which now makes us not as good on both sides of the ball. So yes, in this case I'm rooting for a guy I have come to respect, a guy that shuts his mouth and plays, and a guy that backs up his worth on the field. He just so happens to have gone to Alabama and to a team with another high profile Alabama player I follow, so I will now root for my interest there.

All that being said, I went to Alabama for academics. My allegiance is to the school, not just the football program or players. I love the heck out of the sports, but even with losing seasons I'm not running off to pull for Clemson. That's my school, I have skin in the game, and I'm there because of those ties. I cannot understand the NFL allegiance where a guy is "loving" a new guy each year instead of building that relationship through experience with that team. Fans of teams like the Jets and Browns are really something for as much turnover as they have had and what the brass has put them through.

Top Bottom