| FTBL NIL news. "Bryce is almost at seven figures" according to Saban.

BamaFan334

Crimson Tide Club
From my perspective that's really going to depend on the coach, who he recruits and what caliber of person they are. Adults deal with this on a yearly basis in the league and you still see a "team first approach."

With money involved, I feel "TEAM" is heading out the door. Before, coaches could recruit kids on working hard and gaining riches in the NFL with a good attitude, performance, and playing as a team. Now these kids can make money, play for themselves, and not worry about a team as they are providing for their families now. A coach cracks down on that and your team and recruiting go down the toilet. This just ruined college football.

The NFL, no one has allegiance to any team. You buy a guy's jersey and he will most likely be gone in two years. Julio being traded really pissed me off. I am no longer a Falcons fan specifically because of that. We are Titans fans now, and luckily we can root for Derrick now all of the time as well. I only bring this up, because Julio is one of a few that would have stayed with their team and not asked for more money. Yes, they restructured his deal, but getting rid of a Hall of Famer that has been with your team from Day 1 and that you gave up so much for is just garbage by the Falcons. These guys definitely play for the money and to enrich their lives. No issue with that AT ALL, but so many these days are demanding trades, refusing the play, and just crapping on the fanbase they play for. They don't care anymore as long as they are getting paid. So how can you honestly build a "team" atmosphere around that? As a fan, how can you truly enjoy that atmosphere?

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
50 for the most part you have to accept that the football program is ALMOST a separate entity from the college
It certainly is/will be....

how long before they aren't required to go to classes....
Each school ownes a minor league team....
Becomes just a profit making adventure..

wont be "the University of alabama " just the "alabama crimson tide"
And stopped the shame of being an academic adventure with athletes...
Essentially a triple A product....get paid....have agents...no grades..no classes..
Work out..practice....etc

Then...the group of 5 schools actually use students for football..other sports...
Give scholarships...expect attendance in classes.......boys play ball ....like we all did for...the love of playing football ...

footballer

Sideline Club
I may have an answer for some athletes making money while others make nothing. Legislate or make rules that all athletes making money
turn over a certain percentage of their income into a pool to be divided among the ones who are not making any money. The football team for
instance, all the players have a part in BY making 6 or 7 figures. They practice with him, block for him, catch his passes, to make him a better
player, all for the team effort to win games. Maybe that might head off animosity before it starts between the haves and the have nots.

If I were an athlete in college, going from making nothing to making good NIL money, I would be happy to pool a percentage of my income
so that other players, athletes wouldn't feel left out or ostracized.

JoseyWalesTheOutlaw

Crimson Tide Club
It certainly is/will be....

how long before they aren't required to go to classes....
Each school ownes a minor league team....
Becomes just a profit making adventure..

wont be "the University of alabama " just the "alabama crimson tide"
And stopped the shame of being an academic adventure with athletes...
Essentially a triple A product....get paid....have agents...no grades..no classes..
Work out..practice....etc

Then...the group of 5 schools actually use students for football..other sports...
Give scholarships...expect attendance in classes.......boys play ball ....like we all did for...the love of playing football ...
We're too old to be in the game. My childhood (1958 forward) I was going to play for Coach Bryant but when it came time I wasn't good enough. I am afraid the thinking of todays player pool is only which program is going to get me to the NFL and the college is secondary. Coaches have their work cutout for them with NIL and the one and done (transfer).

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Ivory Club
Social media, hell. National news. Think about the requests he's getting for apperances.

"Not for recruiting purposes."

Winning on, and off the field.

Just another example of Alabama being ahead of the game. Nobody adapts like Saban, doesn't matter if it is an on field rule change, recruiting rules, or something like NIL. He's going to be 2 steps ahead, every time. And if it is new territory like NIL, he's going to bring in folks he trusts and listen to their advice. And setting these guys up with agencies to handle the financial matters (like the NFL model) is already literally paying off bigly.

TerryP

Ivory Club
Just another example of Alabama being ahead of the game. Nobody adapts like Saban, doesn't matter if it is an on field rule change, recruiting rules, or something like NIL. He's going to be 2 steps ahead, every time. And if it is new territory like NIL, he's going to bring in folks he trusts and listen to their advice. And setting these guys up with agencies to handle the financial matters (like the NFL model) is already literally paying off bigly.

There's a pretty smart fella sittin' in the AD's chair.

rocknthefreeworld

Century Club
How will the rest of the players that get nothing handle those that are making mint? We're going to find out in the coming years. Playing time is one thing but money is a different deal.
Georgia allows schools to require players to pool up to 75% of their NIL money (really 74.99%) and redistribute it to the whole team. I find it doubtful UGA or Tech would even think of doing that, but some smaller schools might use it as a recruiting tactic.

Top Bottom